C4 Forums | Control4

Embernet (mini-app) to Zigbee Pro upgrade problem - Need advice!

In the process of adding some embernet devices to a 2.1 project; was able to update the devices to mini-app with the Controller in Embernet mode (they're blinking in mini-app mode) but now I realize I have an issue...

The embernet to Zigbee Pro upgrade tech notes state the devices must have been identified in the project prior to the upgrade. But, I didn't do this as was not aware how to identify an embernet device to a current Zigbee Pro project. Thought it had to be upgraded first.

So, now the issue is that I have these devices sitting there in mini-app mode, and apparently can't ID them in the project to finish the upgrade to ZP. Is there a way to reboot the switches out of the mini-app mode? or is there a work-around to get the mini-app'd devices to ID to the 2.1 system??

I thought that if you just joined the mini-app devices to the new Pro mesh, they would then finish the Pro update, at which time you could identify them into the project.

It's been a very long time since I've had to do that sort of thing, but that's what I'd try.

RyanE

• 1 year later...

I'm still having problems with this. Can't get MiniApp to ZP update to complete. I'm running 1.8.2 on HC-300 and have about 20 EmberNet dimmers to add to the system.

Here's what I've done:

1. In Network Tools -> EmberNet Upgrade switch controller to EmberNet.

2. Use the Add button to bring up Add ZibBee Notes dialog. Identify dimmer with 4 taps on top. Address appears

--> Question 1: What should the channel be? My ZP mesh is on channel 24.

3. MiniApp update starts and completes successfully.

What's next? Do I join the ZP mesh first and then try to add it to the project? Or do I add it to the project by typing in the address in Connections -> Network and then try to add to ZP mesh?

Neither one worked. Dimmer blinking green. When I press bottom button for 4 sec, dimmer starts blink yellow, but then blinks red, and then goes back to blinking green. I rebooted the controller, but still no luck.

Also, the dimmer never appeared in the Network Tools -> Zigbee tab with an "M" after the version #.

Tried that - won't identify. I identified manually by adding address in Connections -> Network and adding to ZP mesh fails (yes, I'm in auto-join). Dimmer starts blink yellow, but then blinks red, and then goes back to blinking green

You can't identify a device that's not in the mesh by adding it's address manually, because it won't join the ZigBee Pro mesh.

You have to bring up your ZigBee mesh, go to the identify dialog, and identify the device by holding down the bottom button of the device. This is the 'id tap' for mini-app.

If it doesn't join then, I'd look at where it's located, and possibly locate the device closer to the controller, at least for the update.

RyanE

It works. Thanks for everyone's help. Here's what I'm doing - hopefully this will help others in the future.

1. Network Tools -> EmberNet Upgrade tab switch controller to EmberNet.

2. Network Tools -> EmberNet Upgrade tab se the Add button to bring up Add ZibBee Notes dialog. Identify dimmer with 4 taps on top. Address appears in the dialog. Press OK

3. MiniApp update starts and completes successfully. Verify quick 1ms green led blinks

4. Network Tools -> EmberNet Upgrade tab switch controller back to ZigBee Pro. Switch to ZigBee Network tab and wait for mesh to come up. (For some reason here the ZP mesh doesn't always come up and I have to reboot the controller.*)

5. In System Design add dimmer driver to a room

6. Enable auto-join

7. In Connections > Network identify the dimmer by holding bottom button for 4 secs

8. Observe MiniApp to full ZP Pro stack in Network Tools -> Zigbee Network

* Any idea why the mesh wouldn't come up and HC-300 would need a reboot?

Archived