C4 Forums | Control4

Troubleshooting a KPZ-6B1 keypad

Hello,

I recently added a KPZ-6B1 6 button keypad and I can't see it when I try to idenify it. When it powers up all the lights are orang then turn blue. Im using the top left button pressing it four time to identify it but its never seen. I have 6 other dimmers / switches that are working great. Are there any step one could take to troubleshoot it? Ive rebooted everything but no luck.

Thanks in advance for your hep!

Edited by Netcom

There is a reset sequence, which I cannot remember off the top of my head. You might find this in the forum, otherwise email me and I'll look up my docos.

Failing this if Your hc-300 is a zigbee pro radio and you have embernet keypad, you need an embernet radio to upgrade the keypad to zigbee pro.

Once you upgrade a controller to zigbee pro, ie 1.8.2 or higher, I don't think you can go backwards to an embernet radio, thus it becomes pain to upgrade these devices.

Of you are in this boat your options will be:

1. Sell to a 1.7.4 user

2. Buy a hc-200 or 300 on 1.7.4 to get an embernet radio to do the upgrade

3. See a dealer, some might have separate radio that plugs into a USB port to do such upgrades.

Danny,

I have a HC300 along with a HC1000. I was told the keypad was Zigbee (802.15.4), Maybe simply removing the keypad from the Mesh would correct the problem. If you could find the documentation on removing a keypad from a mesh I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help,

I went through the process of putting my controller in Embernet upgrade mode.

Then added the node for the 6 button Keypad

The flashing process began and then said 100% complete

Took controller out of Embernet and placed back in Zigbee Pro mode.

All of my other devices are showing online using Zigbee Pro.

The 6 Button Keypad is now flashing green every 3-5 seconds. This means Im stuck in "MINI-APP" mode.

I now have to get this Keypad to "join" the mesh network. It is my understanding that Mini-App mode is exactly for this. It allows the device to join a Zigbee Pro network then once it joins the firmware will complete update to Zigbee Pro. Prior to starting this I had solid blue lights which as I understand means the device is connected to another mesh. Im still unable to get it to join the mesh when I try to identify it.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 2:58 PM, blackfiveo1 said:

bumping this, have a  KPZ-6B1 6 button keypad and I can't see it when I try to idenify it. 

all 6 are blue. when i do top button 13 botton button 4 the lights go random colors for 1-2 seconds, then all go orange for 4-5 seconds, then back to 6-blue. Any ideas?

I have the same issue. Recently updated from 1.8.2 to 2.9.1 and although I can add to the project, it is not in the zigbee tree.

Looks like we need to take a controller down to 2.5.3 in order to add and then update. I did this for many of my other Zigbee devices (added them at 2.5.3 as I rebuilt my project) but forgot about the ones right in front of me... Figured I could update them from 2.9.1.

This is how I learn a lot of things. :-)

Edited by EvilRufusKay
Clarity

If the device is still on embernet, you will need an HC 500/300/200 on 1.8-2.53 for the embernet update to miniapp mode after that you can bring the driver into your current project and go from miniapp to zigbee pro by pressing and holding the bottom button while ID window is open.

It is also my understanding if the 500/300/200 was brought past 2.53 via an update from a director on 2.6+ that even if you restore the controller it will not be able to begin the embernet update. That's well before my time...just what I've been told by senior dudes at corp.

Very interesting.... my upgrade skipped past 2.6 in that when I tried to update from 2.5.3 to 2.7.2, the system automatically and without input from me, began to update to 2.9.1. 

The pads were definately not embernet, as I had already updated them to ZPro, but I have just purchased a few older dimmers and a T-Stat as well as a newer rocker style switch. Assuming I am successful in updating the keypads, Im wondering if I am going to need to go through this process for these and any other used ZPro stuff I pick up. 

Thanks for your info!

1 hour ago, VINCELdUB said:

The button press sequence is

Top left 13

Bottom left 4

Top left 13

Not top 13

Bottom 4

Hopefully this is just a simple issue.

Happy Automating!

I tried this and got no response. Is there a step that needs to be taken before doing the button sequence? Thanks!

THere should not be.

Let's talk old school here. These have never been added to your system? They are from an unknown site?

Tap

Top 7

Bottom 4

Top 7

If the light flashes 1-14times. It is in embernet.

Happy Automating!

No they were a part of my 1.8.2 system. When I updated to 2.5.3, I had to rebuild my system. When I did ~ 3/4 of my ZPro devices updated firmware, but not from Embernet. Then I updated to 2.9.1and unfortunately, while on 2.5.3, I forgot to add these (2) 6 button keypads and although I can add them to my project, I cannot see them on the Zserver. I just got done installing 2 dimmers, a switch and a T-Stat that were never on my system and I am about to see what happens with them. I will also try the new sequence you provided. Thanks!

Tried new sequence and no flashing.

3 hours ago, EvilRufusKay said:

If I tap the top left button 4 times, all 6 led's blink yellow several times and then red several times.

I also have the same issue with the new (used) devices I installed, so I am going to take a controller back to 2.5.3 to see if I can add them that way.

So I have been able to add my old 6 button keypads, but I cannot get my 4 new (used) items to join the mesh. I can at least see them by inputting the MAC but their status is listed as unknown. Interestingly, unlike the keypads that had green LED's indicating that they were not identified / in the mesh, the 3 devices that wont join have Blue LED's, as if they are active. I appreciate your help and advice!

• 3 years later...
On 3/3/2017 at 8:17 PM, VINCELdUB said:

THere should not be.

Let's talk old school here. These have never been added to your system? They are from an unknown site?

Tap

Top 7

Bottom 4

Top 7

If the light flashes 1-14times. It is in embernet.

Happy Automating!

I did the

7/4/7 and all light blinked white 14 times, I guess now i know its embernet and useless to me :( since im on 3.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.