• Create Account

Welcome to the New c4Forums.com!

We will be enhancing the platform daily now that we are officially online. You can read and discuss the new platform here or for access issues please email c4forums@c4forums.com. Thanks!

Photo

The "multiple Dune" NAS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wappinghigh

wappinghigh

C4 Guru

• c4Forums Member
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

With the wonderful help from James at DD (and his driver), and my dealer and AlanC, I now have my two Dunes (with their 3 x 2TB HDD's) effectively operating as a 6TB NAS.

What basically happens is Control4 "shares" the drives of each Dune, plays files direct off one, and streams from the other...

Content can be simply moved onto each Dune HDD by mounting it via smb within OSX.

The HDD's of the Dune can be easily "plug and play" pulled from the player and backup'd and moved offsite for true redundancy (just as you should with a NAS drive)

There is the downside of potential problems playing both Dunes at once, (for this, a true NAS like a QNAP would be best) but this doesn't affect me. Also the Sata II Green "cooler" WD drives are now no longer available (they have to be sourced off the likes of ebay). Sata III won't work in the dunes as far as I am aware.... But it's a nice simple setup and so far is working well.

That is until I reach the 6TB limit...:)

Edited by wappinghigh, 14 March 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#2 Budman8889

Budman8889

• c4Forums Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hello, I'm waiting for my Dune HD Duo to arrive and am wondering what HDDs are you using? What HDDs have you tried that didn't work well... thanks in advance.

#3 wappinghigh

wappinghigh

C4 Guru

• c4Forums Member
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

Hello, I'm waiting for my Dune HD Duo to arrive and am wondering what HDDs are you using? What HDDs have you tried that didn't work well... thanks in advance.

OK. Im using WD 2TB Green EARS drives. They are the old sata 2 slow speed 5400's. The slow speed green, means they run real cool. The drives can be bought on ebay. Watch out, because some shonks will"upgrade you" to the new Sata III drives, and Im not sure these are compatiblev with the Dune. Check out Dune HDI's website. Also Im pretty sure you cant use anything more than a 2Tb drive right now....

Dont forget about backup..

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users