C4 Forums | Control4

New system (HC-1000/300) or (HC-800/250)

alameri40

HC-800

Pro's:

Lighting Fast Navigator

Space

Looks

Cons:

Horrible IR

No redundancy (HC-300 can be used as director in your setup if the hc-1000 fails)

They also claim improved zigbee, perhaps specs wise, but not so sure in real life. Bottom line, only reason to change is if you use the on screen navigator.

Also there is no reason to buy the hc-250 unless you want it in another room.

Thank you Chesterwilson for the reply,

what if I bought HC-800 for screen navigator and keeping HC-1000 as director

what you think for the zigbee mesh is it better or run wire for new home.

HC-800

Pro's:

Lighting Fast Navigator

Space

Looks

Cons:

Horrible IR

No redundancy (HC-300 can be used as director in your setup if the hc-1000 fails)

They also claim improved zigbee, perhaps specs wise, but not so sure in real life. Bottom line, only reason to change is if you use the on screen navigator.

Also there is no reason to buy the hc-250 unless you want it in another room.

Let's try to help you here. New construction? There better be 14/2 w/ground, on down, type-rated wiring installed behind your sheetrock or you will banging your head through said drywall. Control4 lighting is wireless by design. It's not "power-line" distribution. When all is said and done, you may need a ZP "extender". You won't know until you get there.

• 5 months later...

Or...because he HAS a 1000/300 already......

If you want to "up" for little, get a 250 if it has enough connetions and drop the 300. If it doesnt have enough options are keeping the 300 or getting an i/o extender as well. This will give you all the power you need plus the faster on-screen navigator and (remote) list navigator

• 2 months later...

I think it depends on how much processing power you need. In our show room I just replaced a HC100 and a I/O extender with a HC800 and the speed with the streeming, page flipping of the touch panels, and the all around processing with the HC800 is noticeably faster. Now if I wasn't trying to do that much processing then the HC100 would work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is addressing some of the questions I have. My original system consisted of a HC-300 8 light switches and 3 dimmers, wifi thermostat, media player, iPhone & iPad controller. I recently added a HC-250 (new master) to a second TV. And 2 more light switches.

I am moving into a new place and will be buying Control4 interfaces for the whole condo, 5" inwall in each bedroom & Laundry room (4). 7" in wall at front door & Family room/kitchen. 7" portable in Living room, Family room and Master bedroom.

The house already has a Lutron Lightworks lighting system for the entire condo, and I have replaced the media player with a Kaleidescape system.

I will have a total 10 interfaces. Can I get rid of my HC- 300 & 250 and run everything from a HC-800?

You won't get much for them, but I would sell the 300 and 250 and run everything from an 800, which is doable if you have an HDMI matrix and keep everything in a central location. And I wouldn't do a touch screen in every room, I prefer to use iPads or iPad minis, you could wall mount them if you must have something on the wall. But to each his own.

You won't get much for them, but I would sell the 300 and 250 and run everything from an 800, which is doable if you have an HDMI matrix and keep everything in a central location. And I wouldn't do a touch screen in every room, I prefer to use iPads or iPad minis, you could wall mount them if you must have something on the wall. But to each his own.

Why do suggest not using touch screens, is it price or performance. I realize iPad are cheaper, but I

do like the Control4 stuff.

Archived