C4 Forums | Control4

PopCorn C 300 Network Media Jukebox

Just received my Popcorn C300 from James@diamond design.com and this Media player simply works! After James installed the C300 I was anxious to see how well it handle "cover art" and let me tell you that it does an excellent job of looking up "cover art via the internet very fast. This function compared to C4 "cover art" function is no contest. I also played a sample of every video file format i have and it played each without a single hesitation. It recognize my Netgear NAS immediately and placed a NMJ data folder for "cover art" right on the NAS media share folder.

I love the Dune player which I have had for several month but it must go!. You can install a internal hard drive and Laptop cd/dvd drive in this thing and download

the audio app via the media player from their app store and rip cd's right to the hard drive.

This player is everything James said it would be. Since James is the National distributor for the PopCorn and PopBox media players and he does such a good job with Control 4, you are in good hands!!

A big thanks to DiamondDesign.

Between Popcorn Hour's YAMJ, Plex, XMBC ... C4's media management is way out of date.

The great thing about the Popcorn Hour devices is... they play everything you throw at it... flawlessly.

I've been trying to make my Roku/Plex setup work as nicely, no cigar.

I love the Dune player which I have had for several month but it must go!. You can install a internal hard drive and Laptop cd/dvd drive in this thing and download

the audio app via the media player from their app store and rip cd's right to the hard drive.

So you recommend Popcorn C300 over DuneHD? Any specific reasons other than HD?

Thank You

Here are the reasons I would recommend the popcorn hour C300 over the Dune player: (just my opinion after using dune max, dune prime 3.0 ,apple tv2 with XBMC. ROKU and netgera eva)

-It has a built in "cover art" program capability and dune does not. I have spent countlees hours with other with other programs running on a pc to produce cover art. You donot need a pc running to produce cover art with the C300 and you do not have to re-create a new folder for your existing movies/tvshows to get the cover art

-A Laptop cd/dvd drive plus a hard drive can be install on the C300

-The C300 has a built in app store for downloading apps for the C300

-It has a 3x3 screen to let you see all commands of the activities when you are using the remote. This is great for those of us with the media player in a rack and you do not have access to tv.

- It feels like it is built real solid and easy to use

- It can playback 3D ISO Blu Ray file structures

The biggest impact on my decision to switch from Dune to PopCorn is 1. James@diamonddesign repetition 2. on board "cover art"

capabilities. 2. Price 3. video file playback.

The Dune and the rest of the players above are excellent player but I lIke the C300 Control 4 combination.

Hope this help.

I have My Movie,xbmc (with C4 driver) but they require a computer and Plex(Ipad version) and they are all good programs but I did not want to make new folders for each movie/tv show on my NAS. The Popcorn C300 Jukebox program only took a few minutes to find all the cover art and it allows changes real easy. Cover art has been my biggest complaint with C4 since 2008. I received the C300 from James@ Diamond design late wednesday evening and he had me up and running a few hours later.

I just got my new C-300 from DD and got it up and running last night. All of my DVD Iso rips play fine, however I'm not having any luck with my BluRay isos. I've searched through the NMT forums and all I discovered was that I need to hope for a firmware update. Does anyone else on here have some experience with bluray iso playback on a C-300?

Do you have region codes or are they removed? If they are removed, pop in a 2 gb usb stick for local storage. It should play blu ray isos no problem (they are talking about optical discs I believe but I have a drive that works fine after testing a ton of them and have 50 on the way from China).

Has anyone tested the Popbox? I only need Bluray/3D ISO Playback.

Don't forget that the Popbox will only play the main movie section of a Blu-Ray ISO (no menu's or exra's apparently), and not the full image rip as it will a DVD ISO.

Hi...I'm a bit confused, hope someone can help.

1. What is the difference between a Popcorn Hour and a Popbox?

2. I have LOTS of TV dvds. You know, multiple seasons, multiple episodes per season. I am really looking for a player that can do what Netflix does now. You tell it the TV show (say, Numbers) and then you choose the season and then the episode. And it had the picture of the box so that you can glance at it and know which TV show, without reading the title. Sorting movies etc is nice and I do have a handful of movies. But I desperately need to manage my TV shows.

3. How do I handle videos that do NOT have available cover art to download? I have lots of instructional videos that aren't popular and wouldn't have that stuff to download. Can I upload a photo from the original DVD cover so that it's easier to find them?

Thanks for your help. I'm getting Control4 and I'm also trying to digitize my DVD collection so that i can watch in any room without searching for the physical DVD.

Archived