C4 Forums | Control4

Migrating Director from an existing HC 1000 to a new HC 800

My HC 1000 recently crashed (or so we think), and I have three options to ponder.

1. HC 1000 under warranty, send it back to C4 for repair/replacement

2. Migrate Director to one of the 4 HC 300's

3. Replace old HC 1000 with new HC 800

How involved is the process for migrating the Director to a new HC 800 or new HC 1000?

How involved is the process for migrating the Director to one of the existing 300's?

Is there additional Zigbee programming involved? If so, how long would that take, and what exactly would need to be changed given the change in hardware?

Are MAC address issues (changing from existing HC 1000 to new device) the programming hurdle for the replacement? If so, is that time consuming?

Setup -

1 HC 1000

4 HC 300

5 outputs (TVs)

8 inputs - Roku, Vudu, 3 DVR, Xbox, Blueray, Security cam (not an IP cam)

10 light switches

Theater - Anthem AV/processor, Anthem Projector, Stewart motorized screen, Xbox, Anthem Blueray, Neopro Avalon switch, C4 audio matrix

Thanks.

Moving Director isn't difficult, moving your zigbee devices (not necessary, but recommended) is a bit more involved but not too complicated.

There are 2 options replace the HC1000 or buy a HC800. Their is no reason to migrate director to the HC300 (unless its temporary) as you are covered under warranty.

If you aren't using on screen navigator then I would definitely stick with the HC1000.

A little late for the 800 promo... But, I would snag a used 1000 in eflay and continue on. The 1000 will move that project as fast as a 800 if you offload ZServer to one of the HC-300s.

A little late for the 800 promo... But, I would snag a used 1000 in eflay and continue on. The 1000 will move that project as fast as a 800 if you offload ZServer to one of the HC-300s.

Zigbee wont be as fast but the "background processing" remains mostly unnoticeable depending on third party drivers.

I've been told that, depending on the size of your media / mp3 library, the time it takes the media list to populate a navigator screen (iPad, android, myhomePC, control4 touchscreens) is much much shorter on an HC800 than it is on an HC1000. In other words, the HC800 is faster than the HC1000 when doing media scrolling, etc.

Can anyone post their experiences with this?

What I was told seems contrary to what has been posted in this thread (background processing remaining mostly unnoticeable..., HC1000 moving the project as fast as Hc800...)

Thanks.

I know you've read my posts but now that 800 is in, I can say that roll-in of anything on a TS is about the same. Where the 800 kicks-tail is with the OSD. Room changes (TS) appear to be marginally faster. The 1000 was built for a reason and that reason hasn't changed much.

As usual, the OP is gone and I'm talking to myself. I will answer his Q anyway. Total time it took to migrate from 1000/300 to 800 was about 30 min. That includes physical R&R of hardware which is cable-for-cable. ZP mesh build-time depends but mine took about 40 minutes/2 men running up&down. Friggin Card Access items took a little longer as I have a warehouse full of the little devils.

As usual, the OP is gone and I'm talking to myself.

I'm not the OP but I am listening :-) Thanks for posting your experiences.

I may play with moving ZServer from HC1000 to HC300C just for grins to free up a tad more of the HC1000 processing power. When I got the Hc1000 I moved director and zserver2 to it and disabled both on the HC300. I don't use an onscreen navigator so I've always had that disabled.

I've been pretty happy with Hc1000+HC300C combo except for roll-in of media lists on touchpanels and portable navigators (android, ipad, portable touchscreen). I was hoping the Hc800 would make it "night and day" better, especially with android and ipad navigators, but apparently it does not. I have an HC800 on hold for me but now I'm wondering if I should just pass and invest the cost elsewhere.

Seems that the HC800 greatly improves on screen navigator/media lists (no help for me as I don't use onscreen navigator.) And it might greatly improve SR250 list loading due to hc800's superior zigbee processor. I don't use SR250 in that capacity much, so I'm not sure I'll gain the expected benefit of the HC800 in my particular environment.

I was really hoping for a definite improvement with android/ipad navigator media list populating.

Thanks as always.

I find it unlikely that switching ZServer over from the HC1000 to an HC300 will speed anything up.

The HC1000 doesn't have a ZigBee radio, and very likely has overhead to handle ZServer on top of Director functionality.

If the HC300 is already the coordinator or a ZAP, also doing ZServer may *slow it down*.

Where the HC800 wins on ZigBee is being a ZAP/Coordinator, since it has a newer ZigBee chip, which is much faster.

RyanE

Right off the bat, going from two boxes down to one in the rack is incentive to switch. The 800's radio/chipset and antenna kick it out well here. But, it can't solve every RF situ.. I still have dead spots that only CA Relays can handle (why can't CA Contact Sensors work the same way?). That area is still served by a 300 just a few feet away.

I'm sure you really know this, but Contact Sensors don't work that way because they're battery powered, and you can't really have a battery powered ZigBee routing node, since it's ZigBee radio is on all the time, which would kill your battery life.

RyanE

Well, anyway, you can't expect the 800 to penetrate three floors and do battle with some neighbor's messy WiFi... I need help only a CA Relay can fix. The 800 does great, don't get me wrong. I guess it's the 300 that I should be bag'n on.

I believe it's because you can't have the ZigBee stack be *both* a routing node and a sleepy end node, and have it switch behaviors between the two.

They had to choose the device being *one* or the *other*, and in this case, since they wanted the ability to have it be battery-powered, they chose 'sleepy end node'.

The relay requires power anyway, since it must hold a relay closed with power the entire time it's powered, so it's a 'routing end node'.

It's probably theoretically possible to make it do both, but it would involve some trickery of having *2* complete firmware images, and that's getting a bit ridiculous, as you'd have to manage 2 images, plus 2 backup images, and update them all correctly.

RyanE

^I get it now. In the back of my mind, I sorta thought that once contact was made, the device could go dormant until another state-change took place. Appreciate the discussion as it is now clear to me.

... I sorta thought that once contact was made, the device could go dormant until another state-change took place.

That's exactly what it does. The Contact device is powered down until a change of state, which wakes the CPU enough to connect to the ZigBee mesh and send the update message.

It also periodically checks the temperature sensor and sends the value if it's updated.

Other than that, it's ZigBee radio isn't even turned on, which makes it a poor routing node.

RyanE

Moving Director isn't difficult, moving your zigbee devices (not necessary, but recommended) is a bit more involved but not too complicated.

Is it really as simple as you say?

What about all the third party bindings etc? My Linux on the HC1000 went down the other day, and it was quite complicated rebuilding things...

I've moved from one controller to another, and it *is* as simple as that.

A *full* project backup (including Media) does include the entire project.

If you switch coordinators, you have to re-join ZigBee devices.

That's about it.

If your project file restore wasn't a very recent one, or was corrupted, you would have a bit more work on your hands, but if you have a good full backup, it should contain everything.

RyanE

It's Weird. Having just gone thru a full Linux rebuild all I can say is rebuilding an entire C4 system wasn't as straight forward as this..

Yeh the most recent backup file did seem to be corrupted.. so I had to wind back a month..which did add some more work as you say. But there has been some weird stuff going on....

Archived