C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Door Operation

I would like automate my garage doors. Using the buttons in the car, or any button for that matter, is one step too many. In an ideal world I would like to add a unique sensor/transmitter to each car that would be linked to the garage stall associated with that car. When the car pulled past a receiver/sensor it would trigger to open the garage door associated with that car. The doors could close after the open/close of the passthrough door leaving the garage, or any other trigger I came up with. Any ideas of something that might accomplish this?

I know I could have the system recognize when one of our cell phones connects to the wifi and have that trigger the garage doors to open. In this scenario, I would just have it open both doors no matter who got home. This is no ideal. Additionally, if someone else was driving the car, they would have to use the buttons or not be able to get in. I have thought about linking my phone to a specific door, but if I am not driving "my" car then the correct door would not open in that scenario.

Well to trigger the proper door a pressure sensor in the driveway would allow you to "select" the door off which pad is triggered regardless of car.

As for using something that allows others to trigger as well....you'd need to look at something that has device/fob proximity sensing that can then output a basic contact. There's plenty around that do this off or several inches to a few feet, but still mean "waving" the fob in front of a receptor while driving by, which I guess is no more or less effort than pushing a button. There may be some out there that are just about strong enough to "grab" the signal as the car goes by, but those that I've experimented with are just not quite sensitive enough to be consistent.

I'm not sure how much is out there that would do this from the interior of a vehicle to a receptor in the house/garage AND is fail-safe enough to not accidentally trigger on leaving the house and being on the edge of reception.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I could have the system recognize when one of our cell phones connects to the wifi and have that trigger the garage doors to open. In this scenario, I would just have it open both doors no matter who got home. This is no ideal. Additionally, if someone else was driving the car, they would have to use the buttons or not be able to get in. I have thought about linking my phone to a specific door, but if I am not driving "my" car then the correct door would not open in that scenario.

OK, this is a joke, but.. take the electronic fence some people use for their dogs. Set it up on your driveway and put the collar/ receiver in your car and instead of the collar shocking your dog, you can have it zap a transmitter to trigger your door :)

• 2 weeks later...

I made a commercial enquiry as I am in the garage door business.

I have the details in the office but from memory it was about $700 -$1000 dealer cost depending on the size of the order placed.

At this price it does not have a place in my business so I won't be pursuing the product.

From an c4 integration perspective you could connect this to a C4 contact and use that to trigger whatever you like in C4.

I can email the details I received if you are interested.

For garage/gate access on commercial and residential installs, we use AWID UHF. For credentials we use the AWID UHF LR-911 MT-1014 for front license plate mount or the LR-911 WS-1216 for inside windshield mount.

For readers we use the AWID UHF Readers. The model used depends on the project.

Hope that helps a bit.

• 1 year later...

For garage/gate access on commercial and residential installs, we use AWID UHF. For credentials we use the AWID UHF LR-911 MT-1014 for front license plate mount or the LR-911 WS-1216 for inside windshield mount.

For readers we use the AWID UHF Readers. The model used depends on the project.

Hope that helps a bit.

With the AWID readers, is it required to have these devices in line of sight with the RFID tags or have you had any luck concealing them in residential installations?

Thanks

HouseLogix has just announced a new RFID solution for Control4 systems - haven't tried it yet - may be a possibility.

Love the idea... but the 4-12" range kills it for this specific application.

Archived