C4 Forums | Control4

Reminder - Price increase in 15 days. Details please read...

I saw the earlier thread but just a reminder about the price increase on 4/1. I dont believe this is a big April Fools joke.

On 4/1 the HC-800 increases from $999 to $1500, and the HC-250 from $599 to $750. The price increases include the MyHome Site License and the Intercom License. Price/licenses are based on the ship date, just like the 2.0 was back on December 23 2010 if I recall correctly.

My suggestions: if you have the licenses you need or want talk to your dealer now and get the order in and save the duplication. If you dont have the licenses wait you get a better deal.

What I read in the earlier posts, is incorrect. The director is the one that carries the license. Just like the 2.0 updates, the director had to be approved for the updates. You cannot buy a 250 for the licenses and have the old 800 be the director.

Also a reminder, if you have the controller you need, then ensure you have your licenses you need by 5/31, because after 6/1 you have to buy a new controller to get your licenses.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C4Programmer - Thanks for the info.

I was one of the poster who relayed the message I received from my dealer who said to try to get the 250 after April 1 and use the site licenses on a pre-April-1 HC800. As it turns out, he is now recommending that I get all the equipment now and he'll include the myHome site license (free) if I buy the HC800 at full retail $999. He also wants to provide the Intercom license with the Door Station at $799.

I didn't commit to the deal yet since I have another 2 weeks, but quick question. Is the Intercom license that come with the Door Station considered a "site" license? Is there a concept of getting "individual intercom" licenses for each device (i.e., touchscreen, door station, etc...)

I should recant my statement in the other thread, so that my post don't confuse people. Thanks for the reminder.

Licenses are NOT tied the specific hardware that is running director. They are tied to the controller registered to the my.control4.com account(which usually would be running director). If you unregister a HC800 as the master controller then migrate to a HC250 and register that with the account, it becomes the controller running director. You could then unregister the HC250 and then make the HC800 the master controller again. Once the licenses are tied to your "account" they will always be tied to the account. Not the controller.

Will there be a price adjustment for the My Home Site licesse and/or Intercom license such that existing customers with HC800's that require licenses will not be paying more than the $500 uplift in revised (Post 4/1) HC800 controller pricing ? Or is the equation either 1) pay more for the licenses and keeping your own equipment, or 2) Buy a new controller and get your dealer to offer some kind of an exchange on the one that's a year old ?

The price for MyHome site license / intercom license has not changed, they will just not be available after June 1 for purchase separate from a controller that has it included in the updated pricing.

RyanE

Mark this move by Control4 in your books as it is a "Jump the Shark" moment.

I've actually notified my dealer that I'm canceling a project of about 30k in value and have stopped considering C4 for future projects.

The price for MyHome site license / intercom license has not changed, they will just not be available after June 1 for purchase separate from a controller that has it included in the updated pricing.

RyanE

I was afraid you were going to say that. I'm wondering why the existing customer base is taking the hit on this, especially the installations that jumped on board first with C4's recommendation to get the HC800 early on to solve performance related issues/limitations. Why the penalty ?

Seems it would make more sense to put in place a bundle license purchase (Intercom and My Home Site) for say $500 USD for the month of June for existing HC800 owners - might be a more equitable pill to swallow for the existing customer base.

Perhaps we can hold out hope that there will be a late breaking announcement ...

May be a silly idea, but may be doable...perhaps legacy/existing customers who've already got site licenses can be registered to get pre-April pricing on future controllers that they buy after April?

The price for MyHome site license / intercom license has not changed' date=' they will just not be available after June 1 for purchase separate from a controller that has it included in the updated pricing.

RyanE[/quote']

I was afraid you were going to say that. I'm wondering why the existing customer base is taking the hit on this, especially the installations that jumped on board first with C4's recommendation to get the HC800 early on to solve performance related issues/limitations. Why the penalty ?

Seems it would make more sense to put in place a bundle license purchase (Intercom and My Home Site) for say $500 USD for the month of June for existing HC800 owners - might be a more equitable pill to swallow for the existing customer base.

Perhaps we can hold out hope that there will be a late breaking announcement ...

Another genius decision made by Control4. I'm about $17,000 deep in C4 components at this time and I get penalized by this new pricing structure! I'm ready to jump ship the second I find something else I like...

Well then dogdvr since you speak for C4, it's extremely disappointing that Control4 would put the screws to is loyal existing customer base like that don't you think ?

Can you paint for me a picture as to why a company's product marketing team would alienate a customer base in this way ? Recommending upgrades but one year prior and then penalizing those same customers with higher pricing than a new customer would pay -- seems a little outrageous.

By the way whether its one month or two months is not the issue num nuts.

Edited to add: AGAIN, this is why dealers such as dogdvr should not speak in behalf of company's they do own or work for.

Curiously, If you wanted intercom and or site license why havent you purchased already or plan to do so before the period ends?

Are people really planning to rip out Control4 investments over $500 or $1000 of licenses?

+1 Who the hell would want to pay for that crappy intercom license. Honestly, it would serve C4 to pay there customers to take it on, perhaps they might find some suckers to buy there interfaces.

Take shot at answering the question Cody - why should existing customers pay more ? And why should they pay more during a compressed period of time and then closed out ?

I think that's what's on the table here. Is there another perspective or position that existing customer should consider ?

Edited to add: in good faith ill answer your question, because the value proposition is questionable - I do own several TP's in case you're wondering. Though the idea of being closed out is a motivator - but not at a premium.

To be clear, take the price of an HC800 today, plus the cost of the intercom license, plus the cost of a MY Home site license - does that cost more or less than $1,500 ?

Curiously, If you wanted intercom and or site license why havent you purchased already or plan to do so before the period ends?

Are people really planning to rip out Control4 investments over $500 or $1000 of licenses?

WHEN home automation has some standardization I'll most definitely be throwing out all of my C4 investment. I do not like how the company is run, but for now it's the best solution for what I want.

Take shot at answering the question Cody - why should existing customers pay more ? And why should they pay more during a compressed period of time and then closed out ?

Existing customers can certainly choose whether they want to purchase a cheaper controller now, and purchase separate licenses, or wait, and get the licenses included with the higher pricing.

My personal (not company) opinion, as I haven't asked anyone in sales / marketing / management, is that the price was going to increase regardless of licenses, as the HC-800 was underpriced to begin with (i.e. compared with the functionality and price of the HC1000), and manufacturing prices are rising for many manufactured goods right now.

I personally think Control4 just decided that along with that necessary increase, it'd be nice if customers didn't have to be 'nickel and dimed' for licenses on top of that. It simplifies it for dealers, end users, and unfortunately, yes, it makes it *more* complicated for existing customers, and possibly more expensive come upgrade time.

I am sorry about that.

Again, that's just my personal view, not official company policy.

RyanE

WHEN home automation has some standardization I'll most definitely be throwing out all of my C4 investment. I do not like how the company is run, but for now it's the best solution for what I want.

I think you're unfortunately in for a long wait.

I've been in the Home Automation industry for 20 years (with some time off for good behavior in the middle), and if anything, standards are *diverging*, not *converging*.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like how Control4 is run, but I've personally been impressed with the changes in the company lately, and think most decisions are for the best of the company.

RyanE

Archived