C4 Forums | Control4

Denon's new InCommand "X Series" receivers with multizone improvements

I'm in the market for a new receiver and Denon's new X Series seems pretty interesting. They're shipping late this month, but the drivers are already listed on the C4 website!

Looks like there was a big focus on improving multizone capabilities. From what I understand, the X3000/X4000 has:

* A 2nd zone HMDI output switch - not just mirror.

* Ability to separate HDMI audio/video - could display a video source and have another audio source playing.

* Could hook up all HDMI sources and the receiver provides a downmix analog signal to Zone 2 output (ie: C4 amp). Meaning no need to hook analog sources/converters anymore?

For my set-up/needs, these sound like great improvements. Hopeful the C4 drivers will take full advantage of the features. More detailed discussion is happening over at AVSForum: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq

me too. I'm buying the 3xxx equivalent when it becomes available assuming it gets reviewed decently

The 3313CI replacement is the X4000... and the status just changed to "order now" direct from Denon. I'm going to get the X3000... unfortunately, it's still "pre-order" :-(

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productlanding.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=2011incommandreceivers(denonna)&catalog=denonna_us

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm in the market for a new receiver and Denon's new X Series seems pretty interesting. They're shipping late this month, but the drivers are already listed on the C4 website

Looks like there was a big focus on improving multizone capabilities. From what I understand, the X3000/X4000 has:

* A 2nd zone HMDI output switch - not just mirror.

* Ability to separate HDMI audio/video - could display a video source and have another audio source playing.

* Could hook up all HDMI sources and the receiver provides a downmix analog signal to Zone 2 output (ie: C4 amp). Meaning no need to hook analog sources/converters anymore?

For my set-up/needs, these sound like great improvements. Hopeful the C4 drivers will take full advantage of the features.

Does anybody know how does features are "mapped" in the c4 driver?? Especially how to separete audio and video.

Probably getting a 3000 tomorrow.:)

Thanks for your help!!

Indeed, made by Denon. Rather nice drivers actually, some of if not the first to use the discovery option in 2.3 and up.

As for using zone 2 stereo out for audio from hdmi, that works just fine - just connect as you would any stereo source.

HDMI zone 2 out will work just fine too - it just sees it as a matrix switch.

Separating audio and video MIGHT work depending on how the driver was built. In other words IF the driver was built having fully separate inputs for audio and video, with their own codes. As the driver is protected and I have no working setup with one I can't say that for sure. It would work just like it does right now using a TV and a C4 amp for both video audio and audio for example - select video source first, then select desired audio source under listen. You loose control over the video source, but it will stay "on" and you control selection and volume etc for the audio source.

By the way if it doesn't work for "video" sources, it may still work for audio only sources such as built in airplay, tuners or CD inputs. Again this all depends on the codes used and the driver set-up.

Indeed, made by Denon. Rather nice drivers actually, some of if not the first to use the discovery option in 2.3 and up.

As for using zone 2 stereo out for audio from hdmi, that works just fine - just connect as you would any stereo source.

Separating audio and video MIGHT work depending on how the driver was built. In other words IF the driver was built having fully separate inputs for audio and video, with their own codes. As the driver is protected and I have no working setup with one I can't say that for sure. It would work just like it does right now using a TV and a C4 amp for both video audio and audio for example - select video source first, then select desired audio source under listen. You loose control over the video source, but it will stay "on" and you control selection and volume etc for the audio source.

By the way if it doesn't work for "video" sources, it may still work for audio only sources such as built in airplay, tuners or CD inputs. Again this all depends on the codes used and the driver set-up.

I am using only 1 zone.

I will try tonight and let you know!

Indeed' date=' made by Denon. Rather nice drivers actually, some of if not the first to use the discovery option in 2.3 and up.

By the way if it doesn't work for "video" sources, it may still work for audio only sources such as built in airplay, tuners or CD inputs. Again this all depends on the codes used and the driver set-up.[/quote']

I am using only 1 zone.

I will try tonight and let you know!

:(I just tried to do the audio-video separation and looks like the driver is not able to do it. First did "watch", selected Dish Network then "listen" an selected rhapsody; the tv turned black (changed input). Allso tried with tunein stations and got the same results.

Is there any other way to do it. Does the driver can be fixed??

Thanks all!!

I would really like for it to work. That is one of the nicer features of this receiver.

Can this be made to work?

I was actually doing it outside of C4. I hit watch-satellite, and then some time later went to my phone and initiated airplay, which then the receiver switched over to display the airplay interface. Maybe its just this way with airplay as I havent tried other sources, but that's not something that the driver can workaround.

:(I just tried to do the audio-video separation and looks like the driver is not able to do it. First did "watch", selected Dish Network then "listen" an selected rhapsody; the tv turned black (changed input). Allso tried with tunein stations and got the same results.

Is there any other way to do it. Does the driver can be fixed??

Thanks all!!

TuneIn or Rhapsody would do the same, see what input the controller's in, if it's a "video" type input, say DVD, that may not work, try "CD" instead.

If it doesn't work on CD, and the receiver does indeed allow that sort of separate switching (keep in mind that this may need to be set on the receiver) then it's likely in the driver. Being a Denon Made driver, it's probably encrypted which means only Denon can alter it.

Anybody using an IP driver for the X3000? Is it working out ok?

Yes' date=' working fine[/quote']

One more question - so will the IP driver turn the receiver on for audio announcements and then off again afterwards? Any delay in the volume up/down using the IP driver?

Thanks!

Brad

Anybody using an IP driver for the X3000? Is it working out ok?

Yes' date=' working fine[/quote']

One more question - so will the IP driver turn the receiver on for audio announcements and then off again afterwards? Any delay in the volume up/down using the IP driver?

Thanks!

Brad

Yes, then again so would IR drivers.

Volume isn't delayed so much as it is a little slow in ramping (push and hold) - not due to delay but due to slow/small steps.

Finally got around to testing the video/audio separation. It doesn't work on all sources (see the link to AVSForum in my first post for details). But, it did work with both Airplay and Pandora as the audio source and DIRECTV as the video source.

Goes like this on the C4 remote:

- "Watch" Pandora (or start Airplay)

- Press "Guide"

A Video Select dialog appears and I was able to "Select" DIRECTV.

RESULT: Listening to Pandora (or Airplay) while watching DIRECTV.

The key is starting with your audio source and then adding your video source via the "Guide" button. Note: After changing the video source, the C4 remote continues to control the audio source... meaning, I couldn't change channels on the DIRECTV.

My C4 system isn't fully installed... but eager to find out if I can now play audio announcements without interrupting the video source.

My Denon X4000 arrives tomorrow! I will be using it with 2 zones (theater/living room and master bedroom).

any suggestions? use IR or IP ? things anyone has done with it well or that does not work?

thanks!

Archived