C4 Forums | Control4

Scan not working in Composer HE

drmark12pa

No special characters or weird words. The scan works fine once the HC800 has been rebooted so it's something problematic with Control4. Scheduled scan doesn't even work when no new MP3 or FLAC folders have been added. The only fix is pulling the power plug on the controller and allowing reboot.

Edited by drmark12pa

• 5 weeks later...

Still having scanning issues.... Just tried a manual scan after adding a new CD...

I get the "Removing entries which no longer exist" and "Getting directory count" and then it just say Director Status Idle without moving forward with the scan. 

Unplugging the HC800 everytime I want to do a scan is lame....

• 1 month later...

It's possible that the culprit is you mm.db file (the file on the controller that contains all your media info - though not the actual data). I've not seen it cause this particular issue, but I've seen it cause lots of odd behaviour.

It can be deleted, and you can try exporting the media list before and importing after if you did lots of editing (export playlists as well if you have lots and/or programming attached). the file will be rebuilt from scratch on controller reboot, and usually importing the media lists doesn't bring back the corruption (but I'm told it can).

Cyknight,

Where is that file located on the HC800 accessing it via windows?

Also, can I just back up my entire project including media and artwork, delete that file, and just reload the project?  I currently have my music divided into 4 scans (A-E, F-L, M-R, S-Z) and if I try to export the media it looks like it wants to save as XML format.

post-127996-0-61345800-1388464934_thumb.

post-127996-0-28957300-1388464940_thumb.

Well this find is interesting... I did find that file and it says corrupt.  I know at one point I had to reload all of my media when I updated software a few revisions ago (2.4 I believe) and there was an issue where my media was gone. 

What should I do with these files that I'm showing?  (By the way the "mm" file that appears to updated was likely changed as I just did a scan.  The other "corrupt" file hasn't been modified in some time it would appear.)

post-127996-0-86844300-1388465121_thumb.

Odd that corrupt file, rarely seen that one...but you can delete both.

MIND you, no backing up will NOT work as it will back up the mm.db file (and likely the 'corrupt' file too.

Exporting media libraries is done in XML, that's correct. Yes you'll need to make one for each 'storage location' that shows up under media - stored.

So you would delete the file, then re-boot the controller (this will force it to create a new one), after that import the .xml files to their respective locations.

Keep in mind that there is NO guarantee that the media import won't corrupt the mm.db, but at least it's worth a try (and seems to work fairly often) as it won't hurt and could prevent you losing lots of time/work put into 'cleaning' your files.

Understand also that it's not impossible that a single song/file you have on the storage device is causing the corruption, so it could occur again (once again this is more a preliminary warning, usually this is not the case).

so the XML file will retain all of the file tags as well as the currently saved artwork?  I'm just a bit nervous since I've put a ton of time into getting the right artwork and such.

So, do the following:

1) export each of the 4 sections of my music into XML files

2) delete both mm  files

3) reboot HC800

4) import the XML files under their respective sections

Yes, it will retain tags and artwork, names, artists/actors, you name it.

Yes that would be the proper order.

If worried, do the proper thing - make a project back-up with media ANYWAY before doing any of this. Worst case you simply reload that back-up, nothing gained nothing lost.

Huge thanks!  Will give it a try and let you know!

I know when I first obtained my Control4 system 3 years ago, there were a few MP3s that would actually stall the scan all together and the system would freeze up.  Fortunately I was able to isolate those files and haven't had any lock ups like that since but will try to rescan all sections to make sure one section isn't causing this issue....

Bump.

Updated to 2.5.2 software and HC800 still has to be unplugged and rebooted to perform a scan every few weeks....

This is getting old and for an advanced device to have to reboot everytime by pulling the plug is silly.

You waiting the full 5 min before pluging the 800 back in right ?

• 2 weeks later...

Well it appears that my problem has returned.  It seems after a week or so, the scan function doesn't work.  I have to unplug my HC800 before scanning can be performed.  When I try to scan in ComposerHE it just sits there with DIRECTOR STATUS IDLE....

This is annoying and an end user shouldn't have to unplug something and replug in to get it to work...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running 2.5.2

Seems like every couple of weeks or so I have to unplug and replug to get the scanning working.

I need to update my media so I can play using my SR250 remotes under ARTISTS or ALBUMS so I don't believe My Movies is an option... I just want my media library to automatically update on schedule as I have programmed but it's not even doing scheduled scans until I power cycle....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

can you update if you found a solution? I'm seeing this behavior as well (although I'm not using scheduled scan).

thanks

I haven't manually run a scan lately but can check later to see if it's not currently doing the scheduled scan. 

The only solution that has resolved it every time is unplugging my HC800 and replugging in.

Thanks for sharing (although I wold expect control4 to fix this bug months ago). My experience shows that ssh-ing to my 3 controllers and rebooting them (almost at the same time) - most of the time enables the scan. It's better for the hardware and saves me some walking...

Do you mind posting how you SSH into the controllers and reboot them. That'll be a lot easier than reaching behind and pulling the plug

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it's really simple - "ssh root@YOURCONTROLLERIP PASSWORD reboot". of course replace with correct ip and password. This assumes you have a unix/mac console with ssh client installed (default). If you're using windows you'll need to install putty and configure it (quite simple but since I don't have awin machine I can't walk you through it...).

it's really simple - "ssh root@YOURCONTROLLERIP PASSWORD reboot". of course replace with correct ip and password. This assumes you have a unix/mac console with ssh client installed (default). If you're using windows you'll need to install putty and configure it (quite simple but since I don't have awin machine I can't walk you through it...).

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it odd that others have problems with media scans. For me they work 100%. I have a scheduled scan (every3 days) and a custom button for on demand scans. I scan my drobo which is connected to an apple airport via USB. Then I have it ip mapped in composer. Works greAt.

Only problem I run into time to time is nas wake if I try to play music without waking the nas. The first album fails. Bit the drive wakes and I pick it again and all is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I find it odd that others have problems with media scans. For me they work 100%. I have a scheduled scan (every3 days) and a custom button for on demand scans. I scan my drobo which is connected to an apple airport via USB. Then I have it ip mapped in composer. Works greAt.

Only problem I run into time to time is nas wake if I try to play music without waking the nas. The first album fails. Bit the drive wakes and I pick it again and all is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

my setup is composed of 3 HC250 controllers and a DroboFS that has all my music and images on it (Other servers and apps use it as well). From my experience problems usually occur when either the controllers or the DroboFS needs reboot. My guess is that when the DroboFS reboots (not very often but still...) the nfs mount in the controllers goes dead and control4 doesn't recover from that. If I had a connection to engineering there I would try and help them resolve it (don't mind being a test station). I didn't even bother reporting this in the normal channels since my guess it will be wasted time. Why problems occur after a controller reboot (more often...) - for that I don't have an explanation...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.