C4 Forums | Control4

Scan not working in Composer HE

drmark12pa

I've been having trouble with 2.4 software manual media scans as of late. When I go to my audio files to rescan the directory (when I add MP3s for example), composer just sits and does nothing most of the time. Other times, the scanning with start and I can see in the status bar the scan progressing. I've tried unplugging and replugging in my HC800 and that didn't seem to fix the problem.

It appears that scheduled scans have been working appropriately so I'm a bit baffled why I'm having such a hit and miss time with manual scans.

Has anyone else had trouble with scanning?

drmark12pa –

I have no intentions to harm your system, I was going to look up web services logs and see why the controller unregistered itself. With regards to being cautious on information you provide, only your dealer and a few of us have access to the admin database to do anything with your "account name".I’d be more cautious about providing an email address or controller mac before worrying about the user name.

In the meantime, go ahead and proceed with the controller registration process and re-apply the registration code which can be found on your my.control4.com account page.

Again I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Take care,

Matt

Matt,

No problem... I was just concerned about posting my info on the board... I did send you a private email if you could respond that would be great!

The scanning issue appears to have resolved itself now again and I'll keep tight tabs on it over the next several days as I'm doing some updating of my media library and the controller appears to registered again. Weird....

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like my problem is back... though I did find a (less than desirable) solution.

When I use ComposerHE to scan it will not do anything as if I never hit the SCAN button. If I unplug my HC800 and replug it in allowing it to reboot, then the scan function will work. Has anyone else seen this?

Another additional question...

can a scan be done if a single album folder was added to the hard drive used to house an MP3/FLAC library?

I've been using the full scan option up to this point but often I want to add just one album of songs without scanning the entire music folder of a hundreds of albums which takes up to 30 minutes per scan.

30 min scan is pretty good! my system takes 2 hours to do a scan! Thats with an HC250 and a TON of music. But it's not a big deal - i do it from midnight - ~2am.

There is no way to force a scan of a sub, sub folder that I am aware of.

You can always manually add it in Composer {any edition}

30 min scan is pretty good! my system takes 2 hours to do a scan! Thats with an HC250 and a TON of music. But it's not a big deal - i do it from midnight - ~2am.

There is no way to force a scan of a sub, sub folder that I am aware of.

You can always manually add it in Composer {any edition}

I actually have my music broken into 4 files (A-F, G-M, N-S, T-Z) so at least I'm able to do a smaller, quicker scan. I would like to be able to just scan in one album when added without having to scan the entire directory so I can listen to it after scanned. Any chance of Control4 adding a quicker scan method without having to scan an entire directory?

Still having trouble with manually starting a scan using Composer HE 2.5.1.

From what I can tell, my scheduled scans of my music library is running (I have it set for once a week). However, when I add an album and want to listen to it after adding it and then scanning it, still having issues with Composer HE doing nothing.

So I unplug my HC800, replug it in, and now I get the following issues (even though I don't use online media info at all) and it makes it look like my controller isn't connecting to Control4.

Still having trouble with manually starting a scan using Composer HE 2.5.1.

From what I can tell, my scheduled scans of my music library is running (I have it set for once a week). However, when I add an album and want to listen to it after adding it and then scanning it, still having issues with Composer HE doing nothing.

So I unplug my HC800, replug it in, and now I get the following issues (even though I don't use online media info at all) and it makes it look like my controller isn't connecting to Control4.

1) after replugging in, I get a message that says "Your system has not been registered on my.control4.com. Media files will be scanned based only on the data included in the files.... Would you like to continue with the media scan?"

(this isn't a big deal because I include all of my own art , etc)

2) when I look in Composer HE under Account Services it says Service Level: Registered but then Status: No response to check-in request. VPN connection may be invalid.

I've tried uploading a photo of the issue but photo upload doesn't appear to be working right now on the forum.

Edited by drmark12pa

Here is am idea. I have a custom navigator button to start a media scan and I have email alerts setup. This means I can run media scan w o opening composer. I would recommend this path.

Can you post your programming you used for this?

My primary concern is that I don't think the scan is running regardless unless I reboot my HC800

• 1 month later...

Looks like my scanning issue continues...

I have a twice weekly full media scan scheduled and just noticed that some recent albums I added to my media library were not listed. I then tried a "manual" scan which did not start once again. I have just unplugged and replugged in my HC800 and the media scan then runs fine!

I'm running 2.5.1 software using ComposerHE.

Has anyone had similar issue???

Have you checked for special characters in the file names? Had my media scanning break when I added WALL·E. The wierd dot in the name broke the scanning for all my media. So, you may want to look at file names of the media you've added since the last time scanning worked.

Just an idea

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.