C4 Forums | Control4

Xbox One will control your Home Theater

zaphod

Competition from MS for C4?

From an article on The Verge http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4643746/microsoft-previews-xbox-one-dashboard-gamescom-2013

There's good news for home theater enthusiasts, too. Microsoft is taking advantage of the console's IR blaster in a big way. The Xbox One can control individual components of your living room setup — a TV, receiver, etc. — recognizing commands like "Xbox, volume up" to make quick changes. The configuration process reportedly resembles that of a Harmony remote; you simply search for a device in your home theater chain rather than dealing with codes or other cumbersome menus.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's still pretty cool though. To walk in the room and say Xbox on. Xbox turns on, tv on, receiver to right input, etc. no need to worry about integrating it with Control4. I just got to figure out best way integrate it in my equipment rack and still have the kinect in the game room.

Yeah it's still pretty cool though. To walk in the room and say Xbox on. Xbox turns on, tv on, receiver to right input, etc. no need to worry about integrating it with Control4. I just got to figure out best way integrate it in my equipment rack and still have the kinect in the game room.

I'm interested. Let me know

That's the rub, because it won't be USB this time like current 360. Not looking like a good way to extend Kinect over ethernet like you can now.

You can do this now without worrying about integrating it into an xbox - or worrying about a Kinect connection, choose what channel it goes to, have more options than just the TV and so on.

Yeah cyknight, but I was just saying with the One you don't have to worry about using a sr250, etc to turn on the system. However, if the kinect 2.0 doesn't use USB, then like Turls said there won't be a feasible way to do this if you want the Xbox in another room. That will suck. I have this badass equipment room, but I will have to put the Xbox on some stupid shelf where the tv is.

Yeah cyknight, but I was just saying with the One you don't have to worry about using a sr250, etc to turn on the system. However, if the kinect 2.0 doesn't use USB, then like Turls said there won't be a feasible way to do this if you want the Xbox in another room. That will suck. I have this badass equipment room, but I will have to put the Xbox on some stupid shelf where the tv is.

Cyknight is talking about using VoicePod with Control4, I believe.

Yeah cyknight' date=' but I was just saying with the One you don't have to worry about using a sr250, etc to turn on the system. However, if the kinect 2.0 doesn't use USB, then like Turls said there won't be a feasible way to do this if you want the Xbox in another room. That will suck. I have this badass equipment room, but I will have to put the Xbox on some stupid shelf where the tv is.[/quote']

Cyknight is talking about using VoicePod with Control4, I believe.

Correct - VoicePod will do all these things right now, plus a lot more and if my ears are still screwed on right there seems to be a lot more coming our way from them.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about voice pod. I definitely would like to get that at some point. Is it available for regular users yet? I wish I would have planned for something like that before I prewired last year.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about voice pod. I definitely would like to get that at some point. Is it available for regular users yet? I wish I would have planned for something like that before I prewired last year.

Yes, it's available now.

• 2 months later...

So where are we at with Xbox one and Control4 integration.. I'm talking is there a driver yet? And will this thing run XBMC, or does it put XBMC out of business?

I wouldn't expect a driver if the Xbox One isn't even released yet.

Xbox one has an IR port for remote control, plus it has an IR blaster in the Kinect 2 base. 

There hasn't been any speculation on the IR code set, but I highly suspect the same IR codes for Xbox 360 will work for Xbox one, so there is a very good chance that basic functionality will be there at launch with an existing xbox 360 driver.

Microsoft has promised to publish the IR codeset at launch, so a driver will be simple to generate if different.

Yeah, just because the original xbox was the start of xbmc, doesn't mean xbmc is related to all Xboxes.  The 360 was pretty locked down and you can bet the One will be even more so.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with my setup though.  The receiver is in the equipment room about 40 feet away from the TV.  Wish Microsoft would have some Kinect extension that could work for people like us.

The Kinect looks a lot better this time around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhe6jV-APwM

Yes but right now only via their smart glass second screen app. Won't know till launch if it will have a public set of ip controls.

However, u could always control it via recorded voice via the kinect. :). Via a c4 amp or text to speech.

There is / will be kinect extension cables at launch

Not that I am doubting you but where did you here this? Is it a 3rd party or is Microsoft making it.

Let me guess though, no way to hook to cat cable that is already there.

Also what sucks is that it's a proprietary connector not USB.

My understanding, although unconfirmed, is the kinect uses the same connector as the previous gen kinect.  So the existing kinect extension cables, could, in theory, work.  Only big published difference is the new kinect is usb 3.0 and the reason for the special plug is to supply enough power. 

At launch, probably stuck with the 3meter cable, but it also isn't required for full functionality anymore, just hook it up and put it in the rack :)

Archived