C4 Forums | Control4

My Theater - Almost Finished

ILoveC4

Love the doors!  Nice work.  I'm so envious of your decision to put a loveseat in the middle of the front row.  I decided not to for when the kids get older - don't want them snuggling too close ya know.  But, my wife and I do like to cuddle up at night to a good movie after the kids are in bed.  Awesome work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I finally got around to finishing the rack trim out, and to getting my movie posters up. I had the images custom printed on acoustically transparent fabric, so some are actually dampening panels and some just cover the speakers for aesthetics. It totally changed the room. I'm annoyed with myself for taking this long to finally do it!

cf0ac7e0aef11eac3754fc6d70e327b2.jpg

6360ebec6592944bd4179b7755117818.jpg

d96b2e74a70591ca585ed6f3ae4e2580.jpg

8a0a902f0eb9857ffedc14154f501c46.jpg

Nice - looks awesome.  One thing I did in my rack, was the put the high heat ones at the top so that the most heat escaped immediately versus being routed up through all the other components.  Since heat rises, putting the amps and pre/pro at the bottom causes heat buildup in the rack.  Heat kills!  :-)  Just a thought, take it for what's it worth.  Great job!  

Interested to see how the Yale Door Lock is preventing unwanted access.  I thought about it, but the kids just love it and live in there...  Putting a lock might be a pain for me now, but I like the idea.

Nice - looks awesome. One thing I did in my rack, was the put the high heat ones at the top so that the most heat escaped immediately versus being routed up through all the other components. Since heat rises, putting the amps and pre/pro at the bottom causes heat buildup in the rack. Heat kills! :-) Just a thought, take it for what's it worth. Great job!

Interested to see how the Yale Door Lock is preventing unwanted access. I thought about it, but the kids just love it and live in there... Putting a lock might be a pain for me now, but I like the idea.

Lock is great. That rack is completely open behind and all around. The other side of that all is a huge storage room. Space for days. Heat is no issue. I mounted the heavy stuff at the bottom.

Thanks for the advice and kind words!

^Strong first post Mr. Happy.

Seriously bad-ass Dan, great job sir!

Why, thank you :) . I didn't feel the need to make the obligatory "Hey look at me" first post/thread. And his setup is amazing, and I felt the need to recognize him for that (although I'm new and unknown). As it seems he put in a lot of hard work into it. Please excuse the thread hijack.

Mr. Happy

Why, thank you :) . I didn't feel the need to make the obligatory "Hey look at me" first post/thread. And his setup is amazing, and I felt the need to recognize him for that (although I'm new and unknown). As it seems he put in a lot of hard work into it. Please excuse the thread hijack.

Mr. Happy

It was a joke.  Welcome to the forums sir, we occasionally throw humor into the mix :)

I got a PM from drmark12pa, and figured I'd answer it here in case anyone had similar questions.

Dan,

Was just looking at your theater setup picture which are great! Couple of questions: 
1) I'm just wondering on your speaker grills how you were able to paint them to match the walls without the paint clogging the grills
2) what kind of in wall speakers did you use and where is your rack located? 
3) What kind of receiver are you using to drive/power your speakers?
4) What kind of seats did you order and where did you order them from?
Thanks,
Mark

1) What I did with the speaker grills was took my wall paint color down to Keystone Automotive, and had them mix me up a can of automotive grade paint in an aerosol can. I then removed the fabric/cloth from inside the speaker grill, and lightly painted lots of coats from lots of different directions/angles. Once I was happy with it, I put the cloth's back in and they were good to go.

2) I used Snap A/V Episode 700 Series speakers. The fronts are dual woofers with a tweet, and the surrounds are 6" with a tweet. My rack is located almost directly across the hall from the entrance to the theater. As you walk down the hall, the doors to the theater are in the middle of the hall on one side, and the rack is flush mounted in the wall on the other side of the hall. If the theater doors are open, you can see the rack.

3) The receiver that I selected for my 7.2 setup was the Marantz SR5008. It has plenty of power and inputs for what I needed, and has been a fantastic unit. It has an IP driver that was created by Control4 and it works fabulously. I've been thrilled with the unit.

4) The seats I ordered from www.TheaterSeatStore.com. The model I chose are the Octane Boost XL700. I've been very happy with both the company and the product. They did a great job of helping me lay the seating out when I was in the planning stage, so I knew how deep to make my riser and exactly how many seats I could comfortably fit in the space. They emailed detailed layouts including measurements, and really knew their stuff. Once it was time to order, the seats arrived quickly (took about a week from the time I ordered) and were really well packaged. One of the seats was missing a tray table, but the guys at TheaterSeatStore.com took care of it quickly and without hassle. The seats are comfortable and sturdy. They were a fantastic value as well.

• 3 years later...
On 12/11/2014 at 11:29 AM, ILoveC4 said:

1) What I did with the speaker grills was took my wall paint color down to Keystone Automotive, and had them mix me up a can of automotive grade paint in an aerosol can. I then removed the fabric/cloth from inside the speaker grill, and lightly painted lots of coats from lots of different directions/angles. Once I was happy with it, I put the cloth's back in and they were good to go.

I usually do wall paint. Pull the cloth put, apply the paint with a foam roller and if the honeycomb gets clogged use a shop vac on the back side to pull the paint through

Archived