C4 Forums | Control4

Network Setup - Static IP vs DHCP Static Leases

cashmoney

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is organized about having to specify an ip on each device? Far better organized in one central spot. Especially if u want to make changes. Been burned by static ips before, I can not advocate it at all. Dhcp all the way. Do it right, have backups and you will never regret doing dhcp. Seriously where are the posts about people regretting dhcp and going back to static. It's always the other way around. Spending hours trying to track down a rogue static ip conflict and you will want everything on dhcp.

Honestly, do whichever you feel most comfortable with. The average user will likely just have Static IP for their director and other devices that shouldn't change as this was likely setup by a dealer as such. For the more advanced user, do whatever you feel most comfortable doing. It's all about preference, there is no way better than the other.

Personally, I use DHCP Reservations for my devices on a small 27 bit subnet and it works for me. If I need to grow, I just change the configurations on my DHCP server, wait til the lease runs out (or renew) and voila, the changes are applied. It's simple for me, but not for others. So as I said, any decent dealer will have configured the IPs of the controller and other devices as static on the average user's network.

What is organized about having to specify an ip on each device? Far better organized in one central spot. Especially if u want to make changes. Been burned by static ips before, I can not advocate it at all. Dhcp all the way. Do it right, have backups and you will never regret doing dhcp. Seriously where are the posts about people regretting dhcp and going back to static. It's always the other way around. Spending hours trying to track down a rogue static ip conflict and you will want everything on dhcp.

I've had plenty of rouge ip conflicts with DHCP never with static. The last one was thanks to a failing IP controlled amp. I prefer to specify segments for specific gear and then leave DHCP to handle guests and devices like phones and tablets.

But I agree it's all what your comfortable with and what makes sense to you. For me I like to have a spreadsheet with every address and devices grouped with like devices but I also label every wire in my rack and at every location that they dive into ceilings or walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rouge IP conflicts - sounds exiting. ;)

But yeah, just had to deal with one yesterday where no less than 3 devices had the same IP, all three on DHCP, no reservations - it happens.

As I stated in my original reply to OP, either variety works, either side of the spectrum has benefits and limitations, hybrid is an option too. Saying DHCP is the only way to go for HA is nothing short of ridiculous, although Control4's sentiment is not dissimilar. DHCP is the preferred method in their rhetoric (which is a change from the earlier days by the way) - in no small part because so many of their support calls were due to improperly done network set-up.

DHCP is easier if nothing else, so it requires less knowledge/skill/precision. Make of that what you will.

Use what you prefer, as long as it fits the circumstances - I for one will use a hybrid of the two, if for no other reason that I have plenty of systems that just have too many devices that need a permanent address that most routers can't handle the numbers anyway (no, 64 or sometimes 128 isn't always enough). There's always a few devices that can't be set to static, there's always a few devices that don't play nice with DHCP reservation.

The other day I had a neighbor have a router die, and he replaced it with an ASUS piece. Real nice unit. Problem was everything had been set to static in the 192.168.0.xxx range and his new router was setup as 192.168.1.xxx. This wrecked havoc and he ended passing a few hundred bucks for the dealer to come fix it (which sends outrageous because it shouldn't have taken very long to change that setting in the router). Had he been setup with DHCP everything would have continued to work.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Um, it should have taken about 2 min to set the router to 192.168.0.xxx and then everything would have been ok. I need to start just doing residential network stuff and charge half what everyone else charges, that would still be a good buck for easy work

Um, it should have taken about 2 min to set the router to 192.168.0.xxx and then everything would have been ok. I need to start just doing residential network stuff and charge half what everyone else charges, that would still be a good buck for easy work

I know. He said it took the dealer about 90 minutes to figure out what was going on. Seems like it should have when about 5.

10 minutes to swap, setup and update a new router, maybe another 10 to set reservations. But DHCP reservation or static IP - some setup would have been required either way, ans some equipment wouldn't have worked either way until done.

We record and leave on-site, plus use a 'standard' that fits most clients. If we even have to come on-site, it's questionable if we charge for this, outside of the charge for a new router if we're bringing it.

That 90 minute head-scratching is the sort of thing why Control4 recommends DHCP as mentioned. It's sad that it seems to be required but...

I know. He said it took the dealer about 90 minutes to figure out what was going on. Seems like it should have when about 5.

I find it extraordinary that anybody would consider purchasing and installing a Control4 setup without knowing the basics of networking (ie how to set up and reconfigure simple Router settings like this)...

I mean I'm by no means a genius on Routers, but geezzz.. surely most folks with a C4 system know how to change a primary DHCP lease arrangement 

Anyway.. Call me naive I guess.. but there you go.. wonders never cease :)

^ you need to know basic networking for precisely the reasons stated in this thread...!!!

I mean Control4 isn't the only device hanging off peoples home networks..

The average C4 house is going to have a couple of computers, NAS, several iphones, maybe Sonos, few networked TV's and blu rays and the list goes on and on etc etc..

You telling me dealers come in whenever there is a problem with networking any of those?

This is ridiculous..

Everyone needs to know the basics of networking in today's modern world, or they won't survive....

It's an essential knowledge skill in today's world.

Like the ability to fix and start a car all those years ago..

This is silly...

Folks. Ya gotta wise up and understand a bit of networking.... :)

Wapping

I'd say that in a control4 environment the dealer should have put the router and modem on ip controlled power switches with ping testing and auto power cycle to minimise hiccoughs.

If not then the have remote access.

Not everyone can fix and start a car. Car owners buy AAA. New car owners have AAA through the manufacturer. Control 4 owners should buy network support with a warranty / maintainance plan on their system with their dealer.

I can't fix my washer or dryer or dishwasher either. And I don't know how to connect them to the plumbing network.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

We use static in pretty much every install.  We group like devices together outside of the DHCP range and document everything.  Its very uncommon for us not to be installing new routers and switches so we can control everything.  We also do use remote network monitoring and set up contracts with customers for this type of thing.  Its really not a hard sale as a dealer.  Customers are pretty understanding that their network is the foundation of pretty much everything they do, not just automation.

Wapping I'd say that in a control4 environment the dealer should have put the router and modem on ip controlled power switches with ping testing and auto power cycle to minimise hiccoughs. I

So lets take a poll. I wonder how many C4 dealers in the US would do such a thing?

Well I have had two of the best dealers in Australia in on my system, and neither did this... 

Maybe they thought my knowledge on networks did not require it? :wub:

Suffice to say I had someone from the US remote in a while back to sort out a few Non C4 related network problems....And he was just a

tech head enthusiast like me.. :)

You can't expect a Control4 dealer to know everything that could go wrong with a network. In my case it was Sonos and Cable

Router (the Telco's fault) and Switch issues that weren't picked up/or the dealer really didn't have time to sort.. (or more likely I was too

difficult a customer hahahaha).. so I moved on to work it out myself with the help of a fellow user (thanks again.. very grateful ..you know who you are!!! ) 

We use static in pretty much every install.  We group like devices together outside of the DHCP range and document everything.  Its very uncommon for us not to be installing new routers and switches so we can control everything.  We also do use remote network monitoring and set up contracts with customers for this type of thing.  Its really not a hard sale as a dealer.  Customers are pretty understanding that their network is the foundation of pretty much everything they do, not just automation.

You sound like one awesome dealer..

Basic networking is not hard folks.

Seriously, you need to know your primary router IP gateway address...

You need to know how to browser on into the Router GUI..

At least to see what's been set up!

I don't say change anything.. but at least know how to backup the network settings independently...

It is *your* network/house after all...

Over here in Australia it's actually mandatory to have some basic networking knowledge.. 

Honestly, without it you'd be toast.

Our dominant telco over here would see to that, I assure you!!!!! 

So lets take a poll. I wonder how many C4 dealers in the US would do such a thing?

Well I have had two of the best dealers in Australia in on my system, and neither did this... 

Maybe they thought my knowledge on networks did not require it? :wub:

Suffice to say I had someone from the US remote in a while back to sort out a few Non C4 related network problems....And he was just a

tech head enthusiast like me.. :)

You can't expect a Control4 dealer to know everything that could go wrong with a network. In my case it was Sonos and Cable

Router (the Telco's fault) and Switch issues that weren't picked up/or the dealer really didn't have time to sort.. (or more likely I was too

difficult a customer hahahaha).. so I moved on to work it out myself with the help of a fellow user (thanks again.. very grateful ..you know who you are!!! ) 

Every one of my friends/family members that I help setup a home network of any sort (I'm not a C4 dealer so this doesn't include C4 systems, just home networks) I won't even touch it unless they're willing to invest in an IP controllable Wattbox to do exactly this - ping devices and autoreboot if necessary.  I think most C4 dealers in my area do the same thing.  I know my cousin who does Elan G!, Savant, Crestron, etc... won't do a system without it either. It saves so many truck rolls.

Archived