C4 Forums | Control4

Controlling wireless dimmer directly over zigbee

iBog

Is anyone familiar with how to send commands directly to a Control4 wireless dimmer using Zigbee?

I recently read about Revolv's hub and it includes a zigbee radio.  Has anyone sniffed the Zigbee network to understand how commands are sent to these switches?

Note: I already know how to do this via the controller over Ethernet.  I'd like to communicate directly with the switch over Zigbee.

Is it time to start sniffing Zigbee traffic?

You can't communicate with the switch directly if it's still on Control4's mesh.  ZigBee devices only talk to devices on the mesh, and in a Control4 mesh, devices *only* talk to the coordinator (ZAP/ZServer).

If you were to learn it into a different mesh, you *may* be able to control it via ZCL light commands.  I don't know if that is what is used, or if there is some other Control4-specific protocol.  There certainly would *have* to be for the LED functionality, but maybe On/Off and Level Control clusters may be implemented on the device as standard ZCL HA commands.

Good luck.

RyanE

I wonder if the ZigBee shield implemented HA profile network join.

If not, the dimmers would never join the shield's ZigBee mesh.

It likely would be difficult trying to access them without a gateway, and IMHO, the C4 system is a pretty easy gateway to interface with.

:)

RyanE

• 1 month later...

RyanE,

I don't know much about ZigBee radio, but is it possible to build a custom hardware that should be compatible with Control4 by just writing a lua driver?

If yes, do you know what are the specs of zigbee radio that I should buy?

Or any device that will join control4 mesh must be certified by Control4?

Archived