C4 Forums | Control4

Refrigerator temp sensor

tebery

COULD THIS BE USED TO MONITOR A HUMIDOR AS WELL?

It can monitor the temperature of anything I guess, so long as the temps don't get TOO extreme.

It monitors temperature, not humidity.  I believe the Axxess units do monitor humidity.

It can monitor the temperature of anything I guess, so long as the temps don't get TOO extreme.

It monitors temperature, not humidity.  I believe the Axxess units do monitor humidity.

Yes the Axxess piece can be ordered with the humidity option.  I have one in my sunroom and it works well

The issue with monitoring a fridge / freezer wouldn't necessarily be the cold (although a freezer could be an issue, since batteries don't work as well when frozen), but that the ZigBee signal may not be able to make it out from a fridge / freezer, since they are made of metal, and are pretty much a faraday cage.

Can't hurt to try it, it should either just work, or just not work.

RyanE

• 7 months later...

Point taken on the signal maybe not getting out of the fridge.

Two questions, did anybody try this successfully with CA, Nyce or Axxess?  What parts did you use?

Also, besides temperature, you'd want to monitor for doors not being closed.  Is anybody doing that?

Yes, with a CA Relay hacked to accept remote thermistor.  Been using one for about 3 years now.  Not on a refer but I wouldn't bother with bugging the doors.  You could simply monitor rate-of-rise within the cavity.

Archived