C4 Forums | Control4

C4-DIM1-Z dimmer and LED bulbs

wilddbill

There are some other posts on this forum that discuss experiences with certain bulbs, but Control4 currently does not produce documentation recommending certain bulbs.

Most dimmable LEDs should work with that dimmer (with some possible issues, such as only dimming down a certain percentage), although the newer Forward Phase or Adaptive Phase dimmers may work better for certain bulbs.

The surefire way is to buy one, and try it out.

Sorry I can't be more help at this point.

RyanE

• 6 months later...

I have been finding that the Feit brand of LED bulbs (40w/60w) from Costco work but don't draw enough current to hold the switch on when I take the levels down to about 13-15% below which the switch turns off. Anyone else having similar results with other brands?

Everything I've tried works fine at dimming with the gen 1 dimmers.  That includes Philips and Cree and two others I can't remember from way back last year.  Those will go down to 10% but, for me, that's ridiculous since the beam pattern on off-the-shelf bulbs is not necessarily comparable with PAR bulbs to begin with.  As a reading light, we don't use LED at all here.  I don't what I'll do when ICs are outlawed and LEDs don't advance more than they have.  I'm thrilled that the price is below $20 but if they don't serve a purpose for me, I'm not buying.

When Incandescent bulbs are outlawed, you may be able to get halogens, which are less restricted, and are mostly the same as the Incandescent.

Of course, those'll probably be illegal at some point as well.

RyanE

Yeah, Radiant Floors with 1.5" of poured concrete on top of the floor joists have the same effect.

Replacing bulbs is not what I intend to solve with LEDs.

75 Watts per in-ceiling can times 100+ cans is what the LEDs are hopefully going to solve.

:)

RyanE

I'm somewhat reluctant, as the prices seem to keep falling, and new models are out all the time.

What I don't particularly want to do is buy the LEDs for part of the house, then go to outfit the rest, and find that the model has changed.

Throw some laziness into the mix, and lack of time with family activities, etc., and you get where I've gotten... Not far.

:|

RyanE

P.S.  Although I haven't done it yet, I am at least excited about LED lighting, which contrasts with how much I have always absolutely *hated* the Compact Fluorescents.  LEDs are where it's at, and where it's going, imho.

^Pretty much share your thoughts on all this.  I too like the lower prices these days.  I have a thing about color temperature and although 2700K is real close to what I like, I'm interested in what the Philips DimTone does down at 2200K.  Good point about new models.  In the past, you simply waited until one burned out then picked another. 

I wouldn't expect the ever lowering prices to compete with the real savings you would make buy committing to the buy now.

The bulbs I bought 9 months ago have come down in price by 30% since, however the savings I've made in electricity in that 9 months would be more.

With Utah having some of the lowest energy costs in the US (42nd out of the states in Electricity, 47th for Natural Gas), and having a lot of lights to replace that aren't used as often, the payback can be quite a bit longer, although your argument definitely holds true for a lot of lights (probably most on the main floor) in my home.

RyanE

^Pretty much share your thoughts on all this. I too like the lower prices these days. I have a thing about color temperature and although 2700K is real close to what I like, I'm interested in what the Philips DimTone does down at 2200K. Good point about new models. In the past, you simply waited until one burned out then picked another.

I'm running 2200 and 6000k tape side by side for my kitchen counter task lighting. DMX control so I can dial up a cool temp for cooking and prep and a warm temp for hanging out etc.

With Utah having some of the lowest energy costs in the US (42nd out of the states in Electricity, 47th for Natural Gas), and having a lot of lights to replace that aren't used as often, the payback can be quite a bit longer, although your argument definitely holds true for a lot of lights (probably most on the main floor) in my home.

RyanE

We have expensive costs here in NZ - 28cents per Kwh for electricity.

7.52 cdn per KWH for first 1350 then 11.27 after.

My place is 3800 SF with hot tub. I run $200 month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap electricity and still a large bill.

I have the same size house with similar size bills, but my unit price is 3-4 times higher.

780 sqft of NYC apartment $160 last month. Need to find the bill for the rate.

Again, sounds like a large amount of KW's used per month.

I use just over 500Kwh in summer and around 1000Kwh in winter

- although we do have the additional cost of LPG fire in winter.

That's wild. We have more then 6x the space and roughly the same bill.

Cheap electricity and still a large bill.

I have the same size house with similar size bills, but my unit price is 3-4 times higher.

Again, sounds like a large amount of KW's used per month.

I use just over 500Kwh in summer and around 1000Kwh in winter

- although we do have the additional cost of LPG fire in winter.

Ok so just got home and found the bill.

I used 595 kWh of electricity between June 4 and July 3.

My Supply Charge is 595 at 11.3412c/kWh $67

My Delivery Charge 595 at 12.2857c/kWh $73

Thats a total of 23.6269c/kWh

Then add Merchant function charge $2

GRT and other Tax $2

Basic Service Charge $16

System Benefit Charge / Renewables Portfolio Standard Charge $4

Temporary NY State Surcharge $2

GRT and othe tax $5

Sales Tax $8

Boom $179!

Winters get cheaper as the CoOp is centrally heated for all units and that cost is covered in the monthly maintenance fee.

Archived