C4 Forums | Control4

Nested Filing System for Music

jgerlick

Granted, it's easy to create a playlist to listen to your favorite tunes, but what if someone asks if you have a specific song.

I don't think it would be that hard to integrate a nesting feature within the Genre category, so that you can call up Jazz --> Acid Jazz or Jazz --> Smooth Jazz instead of having two genre categories named "Acid Jazz" and "Smooth Jazz".

Josh

I think the problem here is that the ID3 tags, which is what C4 (and virtually everyone else) uses to identify genre, only allow for a single genre (as far as I know). Is what you are asking to be able to add "super genres" into the programming so that Acid Jazz and Smooth Jazz would be the genres in the ID3 tags, but somewhere you could tell C4 that both are part of the super-genre "Jazz"?

Hmm, I do see what you are getting at with that issue. Ideally, no, the purpose would be able to use a touchscreen (or remote, etc.) to select Music --> Browse Library --> Genre Album --> Jazz --> Acid Jazz, rather than being stuck at a super category level of "Jazz". But, I do see the problem with the ID3 tag. I wonder if someone could program a workaround for that.

Thanks for the note, by the way. I am new to the Control 4 System, but am trying to build a "House of the Future" model. I have an MBA from Carnegie Mellon University and am fairly savvy with the guts of these types of systems. My actual occupation requires me to assess problems in the marketplace (both Biotech and I.T.), and develop solutions, however possible. It's kind of like being a venture capitalist, but I develop the solutions with virtual project teams, and sell the companies, typically, back to the organization where we reverse-engineered an inferior product in the first place. This job lends itself well to being somewhat of a futurist, and this "House of the Future" model is more of a hobby for me (I have a hard time separating work from "life").

It's great to know there is a forum out here of folks willing to express their wishlist. I'm interested in seeing what comes in the new release (although I have been made privy to some of the information), so that I can set some folks to working on some more robust functional elements.

Thanks again for the warm welcome to the forums!

Josh

Archived