C4 Forums | Control4

HowTo - Post your Composer screenshots

andy.cytexone

Since seeing connections is extremely helpful in the troubleshooting process, and there's a great photo gallery on here as a tool for your fellow Control4 dealers. I've made a quick guide for posting them easily on c4forums.com.

For Windows XP Users:

-Open Composer to where you are facing trouble (or where you think, you're having trouble).

-Press "Print Screen" on your keyboard.

-click start > run > type "mspaint" > press enter. (ms paint will load up).

-click edit > paste (the screenshot will be pasted).

-click file > save as > file name is "pic1" (pic2, pic3, etc. - depending on how many you need to upload)

-click "PNG" as "Save as Type"

-click Save (please note the location where the pictures are saved - default is Start > My Pictures (in WinXP)

Repeat for every sequential picture that needs to be uploaded.

After completed saving screenshots, then upload them to your post. Here's how:

-Create a new topic, or Post Reply.

-Type your message/issue.

-At the bottom of the window there is an "Image Upload" Section. Select (from the dropdown) the amount of pictures you would like to display. You can upload up to 20 pictures at a time.

-Press submit.

-You've successfully uploaded your screenshots.

NOTE: This method does not work on dual-display monitors.

For more advanced users, I personally recommend Gadwin PrintScreen as it allows you to select specific parts of the screen you would like to display.

Please add to this post as you see fit.

Excellent.

One minor suggestion: instead of pressing "Print Screen", press "Alt"-"Print Screen" while Composer is the selected window. The first captures your whole monitor screen. The second captures just the active/selected window, in this case Composer.

You don't use your composer in full screen?

You definitely can. But often that will capture more of the screen than you need.

When I screen capture (and I do a fair amount of it in my regular job) I usually try to size the window to show the relevant part, and then capture the window. This way you minimize the dimensions of the picture, yet still show everything that you need to see.

Nah, i know what he means. I just use composer MAXIMIZED :D so that I can see everything (gotta love the widescreen ;)) but then I just crop my pics before I send them. It's an extra step, but I prefer it. Anyway, the reason for that post was to see how he used composer :)

Edited by Taylor

• 1 year later...

I would ENTHUSIASTICALLY endorse Screenhunter as the very best screen capture program out there for the price. Specifically, the Free version is very full featured, can wait in your system tray and be activated by a HotKey. As soon as you press the Hotkey (mine is F6) your mouse turns into crosshairs and you can drag across just the section of csreen you want to save.

http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

You define the format, the location, etc etc.

For sharing screen captures, it's light years beyond the built-in Windows functionality. Definitely worth the download!

--Jason

• 4 years later...

Dear,

I am a new one in this field. I have a project of Receiver (HIVION made Korea), TV (LG Model LD420) and controller HC200B. Now I want to control the TV and receiver by touch screen and SR250. I already create drivers for receiver and TV drivers were available on on-line data base. Now I have no more idea, how to program these devices. Anybody have a potential to help me as soon as possible. You can send e-mail to me zaheer_eng2007@yahoo.com

Zaheer Abbas from KSA

Dear,

I am a new one in this field. I have a project of Receiver (HIVION made Korea), TV (LG Model LD420) and controller HC200B. Now I want to control the TV and receiver by touch screen and SR250. I already create drivers for receiver and TV drivers were available on on-line data base. Now I have no more idea, how to program these devices. Anybody have a potential to help me as soon as possible. You can send e-mail to me zaheer_eng2007@yahoo.com

Zaheer Abbas from KSA

FYI - In Windows Vista and higher, you can simply use the Snipping Tool [start -> Programs -> Accessories]. You can also get to this by clicking on the Start button and typing "snipping", which will display "Snipping Tool" in the results in the Start menu.

With this tool, you can drag an area on your screen that you want to copy and it simply opens in the utility when you stop dragging and let go of the mouse button. Save, copy, share, etc made easier. This works in a dual-monitor situation as well (although Alt-Print Screen will grab the active window regardless of which monitor).

If you have the $$ to spend, SnagIt is probably a much better tool.

AC