C4 Forums | Control4

Ceiling Speakers

SMHarman

Definitive Tech is the way to go. Most in-wall/in-ceiling speakers end up sounding "tinny" because they lack the low end bass response. Definitive has a low-end frequency response approaching what a subwoofer is capable of, making the overall sound much more full. BTW, if there's nothing above the in-ceilings but your roof, make sure you put a vapor barrier around the speakers.

In my ceiling is my neighbours. I'll need to put more than vapor barrier behind these.

The Reno is a great chance to improve soundproofing in my part of the building.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

You should really get them out of there, your going to get in trouble. 

You should really get them out of there, your going to get in trouble. 

Ok, to better explain, My apartment is 'parlor level', which means it has 13ft ceilings where they are built joists to joists, however when the brownstone was converted a big part of the ceilings were dropped else you get strange shaped rooms (and services run under the joists) - think of a 5x7 NYC bathroom with 13ft ceilings - would look pretty weird right.

So in the living room I am putting in the Kef e305 (actually 307 I suppose) as this will be 7.1, they had a sweet deal on over christmas where you bought 5 and got 2 free.

http://www.kefdirect.com/e305-system.html

Which is also why I have that other set of speakers listed for sale on here (and ebay).

No way I can put ceiling speakers in there from an audio quality (distance / angles is totally off) and waking up the neighbours perspective.  The eggs I can fairly discreetly wall mount (BTW - can't go in the exposed brick to hide anything) and in white should take on a lot of the room colour to remain socially acceptable by Mrs SMHarman.

In the bedrooms, kitchen etc with the ceiling / services etc the ceiling is at 9 ft and I will be using the 4 ft gap to the joists for 1) soundproofing 2) storage 3) cable runs 4) plumbing and other service runs, so there is a good space (better make sure it does not boom in there) to soundproof and keep the noise down.

Ah, Dynamat, thanks for that link, that is awesome.

Dynamat brought back fond memories of my 20s ripping car interiors out and adding 100s of lbs of this for SQ audio competition.  Did nothing for the performance of the car but it was as silent as the proverbial Rolls Royce.

Yeah for the boxes it certainly is VERY debatable it does anything for the sound quality, but they sure do reduce the migration - one install I've done can now have the living room on loud yet the baby in the room right above continues to sleep...well like a baby.

Not cheap, but they do the trick.

• 4 years later...

Anyone have an opinion on whether these Monoprice Aria 2.1 speakers would be good in rooms of a house where you won't have the most discerning listeners?  Would these be better than just a typical pair of 6 or 8" speakers?  With this system you run a 4 conductor wire to the sub and then split off a pair of 2 conductor wires to the satellites.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31031

Archived