C4 Forums | Control4

Illuminated buttons on remote control

gxclarke

It's usually dark in a theater room and there are almost 50 buttons on the remote control. After a bit of practice I can find a few of them reliably now but I still have to turn on my room lights half the time. For now my workaround is to raise the lighting a little when the pause button pressed and turn it back off when play is pressed. Thanks to my dealer for that idea.

I would like to have a button on the side that lights up all the remote control buttons for a few seconds. Hopefully this will be in the version 3.

Regards,

Gary

hehehehe

C4 is working on new remotes - no idea when they'll come out... but they know back lit is a major request and I'm sure they're working on it... problem is going to be battery drain - as Zigbee drains batteries much quicker - so a back light on the buttons will do that too - plus making sure it doesn't interfere with the Zigbee signal as well. But I'm sure the engineers are working on those and maybe in the next year or so we'll see something (no this is not one of those insider tidbits - this is just experience talking).

hehehehe

C4 is working on new remotes - no idea when they'll come out... but they know back lit is a major request and I'm sure they're working on it... problem is going to be battery drain - as Zigbee drains batteries much quicker - so a back light on the buttons will do that too - plus making sure it doesn't interfere with the Zigbee signal as well. But I'm sure the engineers are working on those and maybe in the next year or so we'll see something (no this is not one of those insider tidbits - this is just experience talking).

One nice option for a backlit remote might be a charging dock. I'd guess that a lot of people would be interested in a backlit remote specifically for theatre applications, in which case a charging dock is an easy option to add and keeps the remote in a predictable place. Whereas a non-backlit remote might be more likely to be one that roams the house, goes on the patio, sits in a desk drawer, etc etc where a charging dock would not be convenient.

That is to say, the appropriateness of a charging dock to a remote's location is probably positively correlated to the need for a backlight.

--Jason

new product release timing -- why would a v.3 remote with backlighting have been delayed so long? There have been requests for a remote with backlighting ever since release of the first remotes. Since then, several new products have been released that seem as though they would have required a considerably longer product development cycle than a new remote with backlighting. Is it the zigbee communication system that prevents knocking off a popular third party remote with a charging cradle and rebranding it for control 4 use?

They do...

v1 remote was the original w/black buttons

v1.1 remote was the original but with glow in the dark buttons

v2 remote was the v1.1 remote with the addition of ABCD buttons (colored).

v3 remote - we can only guess... :)

BUT - if his buttons don't glow - then they've either been exposed to large doses of radiation (he doesn't like near Chernobyl - does he??) or it's a v1 remote.

BUT - if his buttons don't glow - then they've either been exposed to large doses of radiation (he doesn't live near Chernobyl - does he??) or it's a v1 remote.

If he lived near Chernobyl perhaps his body would glow enough to illuminate the buttons. :lol:

They do...

v1 remote was the original w/black buttons

v1.1 remote was the original but with glow in the dark buttons

v2 remote was the v1.1 remote with the addition of ABCD buttons (colored).

v3 remote - we can only guess... :)

BUT - if his buttons don't glow - then they've either been exposed to large doses of radiation (he doesn't like near Chernobyl - does he??) or it's a v1 remote.

Mine is a Ver 2 that came with my HC300 and it does not glow. I purposely set it in the light all day and it still doesn't glow.

Archived