C4 Forums | Control4

Next Generation Dimmer and in-wall switch wish....

byronomo

In my powder rooms (toilet + sink) and toilet rooms (toilet only), I have non C4 motion detector light switches in these rooms to turn the light on/off automatically when not in use.   I also use these types of light switches in my laundry room, walk-in pantry and walk-in linen closet.

For my "welcome home" scene, I have it check the light level on one of my CardAccess wireless motion detectors that is mounted outside (as a rough proxy for the light level inside of the house) so that lights in the scene will only turn on when needed (basically at night and on stormy days).

I would like to see light/motion sensors somehow integrated into C4 Dimmers and in-wall switches so that I can integrate the functionality described above into my C4 system at the dimmer/switch level.  This will allow me to have C4 dimmers in the rooms mentioned and will allow for a more accurate light reading for the rooms in question specifically for my "welcome home" scene.

You can do this with any motion sensor fed into a control4 system (hard wired or card access makes zigbee versions although they aren't that great).  Then you just put a regular c4 dimmer on the load you want to control then program if motion sensor senses motion turn the light on.  From there you can either create your own timers for how long after they sense motion before they turn off, or some motion sensors have built in timers that leave that relay open for xx amount of time.  the only difference is it is a separate motion sensor, not build into the dimmer.

On a side note, Vantage lighting (which fully integrates into control4) does this kind of thing very well.

Yeah.... Light monitoring is available as we'll and there are other brands that make ZigBee motions.... Almost all if which was said in the OP. But you're missing the point that it's a wish to have this integrated into the actual dimmer/switch. Of course that would likely make them more expensive then ever.

Thanks for your replies.

1.  My point is that I am doing these things currently somewhat but I don't want to install motion detectors in bathrooms and pantries, etc. 

2.  If the dimmers with this functionality become more expensive, I would gladly pay a premium vs. buying an existing dimmer + a motion detector for a "cleaner" solution.  The savings would naturally arise from reduced installation expense and (in my view) aesthetics.

If I were Control4, I'd introduce this functionalty into a series of switches/dimmers called "Control4 Elite Series" (or similar) and would charge more....this would allow them to sell these at a premium (to guys like me) while still offering the standard versions because you don't need this functionality everywhere (and some don't need/want it at all).

The new ones do have a light sensor but from what i can tell they are only to increase/decrease the backlight for the switch/keypad itself based on ambient light. I doesn't look like you can program off of it.

Exactly. But they should be able to change that.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

I'll bet it could tell the difference between light and dark. Simple unobtrusive interior light level sensing that's built right into a dimmer/switch/keypad would be awesome. I have no desire to have more ugly sensors mounted to walls to get this functionality but if it was built into a switch? I'm in and I know my wife is in, she hates stuff on the walls that look ugly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see your point, but the switch location is not going to be great for motion and if I bother with a sensor I'm going to want both light and motion.  I thought there were quite a few low profile options from Axxess?

It depends on what your purpose is for the motion sensor.   For the non-C4 motion sensing light switches that i have, they have a 180-degree lateral field of view and work excellently to trigger lights in bathrooms, powder rooms, my laundry room (hands are usually full entering and exiting), my walk-in pantry, one hallway and my walk-in linen closet. 

So using the light switches as motion sensors wouldn't be optimal for a large room, I agree,  But for smaller areas with a single point of entry/exit, i would love to have this functionality and the light switch location (next to the entry/exit) is actually optimal.  Additionally, in just my opinion, I don't want a lot of dedicated wireless motion detectors around the house for this kind of application because it is a PITA to change batteries (I have 10ft+ ceilings in most places).   Having light/motion in the light switch would help me out in a number of ways.

Archived