C4 Forums | Control4

Troubleshooting IR Control on a Bell Receiver

I am having sudden trouble with IR control of my Bell 9400 receiver (SAT1).

HC-800 with IR emitter for SAT1 plugged into port 6 (Light on emitter works when commands are sent to receiver)

Program has correct driver installed. We know this because I moved the IR emitter for SAT1 to a second Bell receiver (different model) (SAT2) and it controls fine. 

The current configuration was working fine for about a year with no problems.  The only thing that was changed was I had to do a factory reset on the backbone switch for my network (this should have no effect on the receiver operation)

- Tested receiver with factory remote and works fine

- Changed the emitter to a brand new "out of package" one. (does not fix issue.)

- Changed the port that the emitter is plugged into (no change)

- Tried the SAT1 emitter on SAT2 and worked fine

All commands are being sent by either remote dealer commands, LCD Panel, or SR-250 Remote.

All my equipment is in a rack in my basement so using factory remote is not an option.

I am a bit lost on this one.. 

Thanks for any help

Chad.

One of the first things I checked was if the remote address was set to 1 and it was.. so that unfortunately is not the issue.  

My next step is to get my installer to do a site visit to relearn the codes..  Unless I get anything from here to try first.. 

You said the emitter from SAT2 worked and they should both be suing the same driver so relearn the codes won't do much in your situation.

Sorry no.. The Sat2 emitter works on Sat2 receiver but when placed on Sat1 receiver it does not work.. When the Sat1 emitter is placed on Sat2 receiver it works.. So this is leading me to believe that there is something wrong with the dish receiver,  Mabey some how the receiver is being signal flooded?

C.

Does the receiver work with the supplied IR remote?

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Yes.. I did not test all fucntions but it was able to turn on, pull up the guide and page up and down all via the supplied remote. 

I believe the 9400 uses a UHF remote, so make sure that the original remote is in IR mode before you rule out a problem with IR reception on the satellite receiver. Perhaps the IR receiver is cooked or a new CFL/LED bulb in the room is overloading it??

The original remote may be working via RF. You could confirm that by using the Bell remote from another room or covering it up while transmitting. Also, IIRC the system info screen will tell you if the remote is using IR or UHF.

Once i get back home Cyknight that is what I had planed next. I thought of that but ran out of time...

Rosenqui ... The 9400 remote is only IR and not UHF..  I did think about environmental variables and but because everything is in a rack in the basement and nothing has changed in the room. But on step i am going to try is to "hood" ir sensor to see it changes anything.  The IR Receiver should not be damaged because the factory IR remote works.. 

I will pass on what I find out when I try this tomorrow 

Chad. 

To add to this... I am not able to change the IR remote address in the 9400 so stuck there.. I also did a factory reset on the unit and no change in operation.  I think I have to try to get Bell to send me a new unit.

To again..   

I had the Bell tech walk me thru the button combination to change the IR channel.  (felt like I was back in the day entering cheat codes for video games.  U,U,D,D,L,L,A....)  anyway no change... The Tech has since sent me a new receiver and I have tried this one and not working either. 

So I am going to go back and step thru everything again and try again.

and I guess I will have to have a C4 tech visit to relearn the codes. ARGG...

C.

Archived