C4 Forums | Control4

Bullfrog Spa - Balboa Wifi Driver Beta

The driver I've been working on for Bullfrog Spas (or any spa with Balboa Controls and the Balboa WiFi module) will be ready for beta on Monday.

Current features include:

• Display of spa temperature and temperature setpoint in Navigator
  • Ability to change spa temperature and setpoint in Navigator
  • Composer programming to perform the following functions:
    • Set temperature
    • Set spa mode (Ready or Rest) - good for vacation mode
    • Set temp range (Low or High) - good for vacation mode
    • Turn light on/off
    • Turn  pump on, low or high
  • All of these items are exposed as variabls in addition to the spa's current time

Planned features include:

• More Navigator integration (some additional basics will be included but this may have to wait until the pool proxy is updated)
  • Ability to sync spa time with the controller
  • Setting filter modes
  • More granular information on what the spa is doing (Heating, Waiting to Heat, etc.)

Please let me know if you are interested in trying this out and I will send you a license key and instructions for downloading the driver.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks.  I understand not too much interest in this one (but it's on my list of connecting everything in the house I can to C4).  Nonetheless, I wanted to provide an update for any that may be interested and the reason for the delay in releasing a beta.

I ran into a snag with my test unit that has delayed the release.  To elaborate, I noticed my wifi module was dropping off of the network every 2 to 3 days requiring me to power cycle the tub itself.  When this started happening, I delayed the beta release as I was afraid I may be sending commands to the module causing it to get in a bad state.

After a couple of weeks of investigation, I have found that others were experiencing similar issues simply by using the Balboa iphone app (and sure enough, I reproduced the issue with my iPhone app).  After talking with Balboa support, they suggested I have the module replaced. 

So, long story short, I had a new wifi module installed on 4/18.  I'm going on three days without any hiccups (thanks to the EV ping module to notify me as soon as the thing goes bananas).  I'm going to let it run for another few days and if no problems I'll get the driver release out.  Just don't want to release something that may cause your wifi module to fail.

And yes, there will be a 4Store app for this one.  Even though it does integrate with the Pool proxy (and navigator interface), the app will provide more functionality tailored to this particular spa.

Thanks and if anybody out there has a customer that would be interested in testing, please let me know.

Eric

I don't suppose you know if you can use a Balboa controller in a Dimension One spa?  Control4 integration would be great for me but the Dimension Ones do not have wifi....  I would replace the controller if it would work.  Thanks very much!

Hey folks.  There are a number of manufacturers that use the Balboa contorl system with the wifi-module but I don't have a good list.  I did a quick google search and a number of them came up.  I am testing this with a BullFrog spa, but it should work fine with others.  However, I can't guarantee anything there.  Balboa has no API and has ignored my requests for assistance with this so it's been a lot of trial and error determining the proper command/response sequences.

On a good note, we're going on almost a week with no hiccups so I'm confident the issue I had was with the spa module itself.  With that, I'll be dusting off the driver and polishing up the 4store app shortly.

Another one I need to quit tinkering with and just release.  For those that have messaged me, I'll have this packaged and sent to you in the next day.

For anyone else that has a spa with a Balboa wifi module, message me with your C4Mac and I'll add to the list.

It's now been running for two weeks with my spa with no hiccups.

• 8 months later...

Hi... I was wondering about a specific behavior....

When the service provider's WIFI goes offline, or when my WIFI router dies, the only way to get the module running again is to power-cycle the tub.

Is that by design?  If the WIFI module does not connect, it would be nice for the module to either (1) keep trying to reconnect; or (2) Reset back to factory default so that I can simply reconfigure the WIFI connection.  Doing a complete spa power cycle is a big extreme........... :)

Thanks,

Forch

• 2 months later...

I have a 2015 Bullfrog Spa with the WiFi module ..... and I'm seeing the same behavior .... every 2 - 3 days it drops off of the network and I need to set it back to factory defaults. On my system there is a magnet about 3" down the cable and placing the magnet on the right side of the WiFi unit just above the halfway mark reset the WiFi back to factory defaults .... Given that the WiFi option was $300 I'm more than a little disappointed in it.

I'm a software eng. with a good knowledge of networks and networking protocols and from everything I'm seeing it appears that the WiFi just gives up and dies after 2 - 3 days.

Any insight into improving the connectivity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

NiPo. 

Hi.... Software Eng. here as well.

Do you have a google account?  I started a group in there a few weeks ago and invited people who had "negative app feedback" so we could exchange notes.

If you do please let me know and I will add you to the group.  (Or as google calls it, the "Circle").

Once you are in the group, the link to it is:

https://plus.google.com/110273183505912043421/posts/DzKYJ8S2wyL

• 4 months later...

@Forch, do you mind adding me to the circle.

@Gix656, I stopped dev on it awhile back but have been meaning to dust it off and release it as a free driver.  If you don't mind waiting, give me a couple of weeks and I'll get it up to snuff enough for a first release.  

All the hard stuff (decoding the Balboa protocol) is done so I just need to pretty it up and add the Spa proxy hooks.

Thanks!

E

• 1 month later...

Hi, I like to try thie app out. I have a maax 471 spa uses the balboa. Can yoiu tell me where I can download it at and test it out? Let me know thanks.

My email is maverick3057103@midco.net

Hi Laren, I need to dust this off.  I have been waiting for some fixes to the Spa UI (that were reported back in 2.6) so hopefully 2.8 fixes that.  Either way, I was thinking about this the other day and would be a nice distraction from work.  Will keep you posted as there's not much left to do on this.

Hi Eric, First thank you  for the work you've done for the driver.

I have recently purchased an Artesian Spa. (From my understanding it uses the Balboa Wifi module)

Please add me to the list for beta. 

FYI, you can no longer accept PMs

• 2 weeks later...

\de-lurk

Hello-

I too am interested... Maybe a donation could help move things forward?

WL

/re-lurk

The driver I've been working on for Bullfrog Spas (or any spa with Balboa Controls and the Balboa WiFi module) will be ready for beta on Monday.

Current features include:

• Display of spa temperature and temperature setpoint in Navigator
  • Ability to change spa temperature and setpoint in Navigator
  • Composer programming to perform the following functions:
    • Set temperature
    • Set spa mode (Ready or Rest) - good for vacation mode
    • Set temp range (Low or High) - good for vacation mode
    • Turn light on/off
    • Turn  pump on, low or high
  • All of these items are exposed as variabls in addition to the spa's current time

Planned features include:

• More Navigator integration (some additional basics will be included but this may have to wait until the pool proxy is updated)
  • Ability to sync spa time with the controller
  • Setting filter modes
  • More granular information on what the spa is doing (Heating, Waiting to Heat, etc.)

Please let me know if you are interested in trying this out and I will send you a license key and instructions for downloading the driver.

• 2 weeks later...