C4 Forums | Control4

Bullfrog Spa - Balboa Wifi Driver Beta

Sorry for the delay folks.  I've been swamped at work and haven't had much time to mess with the Control4 stuff lately.  However, that said, I do want to get a functional version of this out soon.  When the snow clears this week I will make sure I get a version with the basic functionality (at the very least).  It won't be all that grand to start, but at least we'll have something to test with.

No need for donations.  This is something I like to tinker with in my spare time; just haven't had much of that lately.

• 3 weeks later...

New to this group ....But very interest in a Balboa Wi-Fi API information.

Unlike most of you...I am not a "trained" computer guy (rather a Mech Engineer) who loves to hack and is passionate about home automation.

Love to assist where I could...would also like to get any Balboa API information so that possible integration with my existing (non C4) automation system might be possible.

Steve M.

San Antonio TX

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We are C4 dealers and our neighbouring shop sells Artisian Spas. We have been discussing Spa control for a while and he even talked with Artisian last month in Vegas to push Balboa.

C4 Guru - Would really appreciate an driver you have so far to test!!?? My email is internet@cpdsat.com

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

HI, I haven't heard any updates on this. You still working on the driver? Let me know anything about it, I would really appreciate it. If you have one that is working right now, you can email it to me. My email is maverick3057103@midco.net. Thanks.

On 12/4/2015 at 8:11 AM, smarty said:

New to this group ....But very interest in a Balboa Wi-Fi API information.

Unlike most of you...I am not a "trained" computer guy (rather a Mech Engineer) who loves to hack and is passionate about home automation.

Love to assist where I could...would also like to get any Balboa API information so that possible integration with my existing (non C4) automation system might be possible.

Steve M.

San Antonio TX

Sorry, but it took me quite some time to figure out the command encoding they use.  There is no official API so I was doing this with WireShark and many months of tinkering.

3 hours ago, ericscales said:

Good timing.  I actually got an itch to work on it some today.  I'll see if I can get it in limited functionality mode that's suitable for testing today.

Awesome!  I would definitely be interested in testing and helping to debug.  My balboa controller has been rock solid on the network/iPhone APP.   

Glad to hear some activity here.  

The new Bullfrog tub is in, wifi connectivity has been spotty as reported by many (wap is close and strong).   My next step will be to relocate the tub receiver from underneath the tub to the wall (so it will literally have a 10 foot unobstructed sight line to my wap.

Question for anyone in the group...is there any difference between the Bullfrog iOS app and the Balboa iOS app?  It appears the Balboa has a slightly later release date and is also significantly larger (but what works better - same functionality... But does either reconnect better etc)?

Cant wait to see any driver/wire shark details...As mentioned, not a C4 user, but might be able to use the driver details to figure out an alternate solution (I use an automation program called "PowerHome").

/ de-lurk

Ok... I thought I'd share what I've learned. The WiFi module isn't exactly perfect. It initializes very well. But it will not (ever) reconnect. If the module ever looses the AP (or home router) it will NOT reconnect without a power cycle. Doesn't matter what knocks the signal down (SNR, firmware update, device reboot, etc). I've reported the issue (ha!)

Back to the driver... WHOO HOO, excited you're back into it and I'm happy to test/support/do whatever I can to help.

WL

\ re-lurk

HI Whitelightning, I have this module in my spa and have a similar issue where every 2-3 weeks the spa disconnects. I have replaced the module but the same issue is occurring. In my case once it disconnects it is not even visible when I put my phone to discoverable? Is this the same issue you are referring to when you say it will not reconnect? If so are you saying if we power down our wireless router we will need to do a rest of the WIFI module every time? Thanks for your help.

10 minutes ago, Tayls77 said:

HI Whitelightning, I have this module in my spa and have a similar issue where every 2-3 weeks the spa disconnects. I have replaced the module but the same issue is occurring. In my case once it disconnects it is not even visible when I put my phone to discoverable? Is this the same issue you are referring to when you say it will not reconnect? If so are you saying if we power down our wireless router we will need to do a rest of the WIFI module every time? Thanks for your help.

Yes. I've sniffed, I've poked, monitored... It simply seems like it only connects (air) ONCE per power cycle. It does seem capable (but very unreliable) when it comes to a DHCP lease... On my network, the tub is a reservation to make it as easy/protected as possible. If the air connection is maintained perfectly, I don't lose it... ever (still testing). For my site, it's a bit of a bear, I push updates, and have a half dozen APs for throughput AND coverage, but I've locked the tub to one AP which is counter to the network design.

Hope this helps,

(edited for clarity... Yes, once air interface gone, its gone 100% and needs power cycle or push button on side to initiate a full reset - clearing everything. I suggest the power cycle, she'll come right back.)

I would also be interested in the protocol/API information for integration into non-C4 systems (or even just an iPhone app that _doesn't_ ask me if I want to go to demo mode every time it starts).

I can also confirm what others have found - if WiFi drops, the hot tub needs restarted. This can also happen if _internet_ connectivity drops for a substantial period of time, even if the local network did not. As long as I have reliable network though, it's not a big deal. I'm probably at several weeks with no hiccups on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I also am having issues with the Balboa module.  Just as others describe, it drops off the network at random times.  I even installed a WAP that is about 15 feet from the spa.  From what others have stated, it would appear that Balboa replacements do the same thing.  

Just curious if this behavior occurs to everyone, or has a solution be found?  Power cycling the tub is annoying and I feel somehow its not good for it...

Where is your WIFI antenna?  I am running the BP501 with WIFI and I installed it myself when I reworked all the plumbing and jets.  When I installed the WIFI antenna, I was sure to put it a decent distance from the BP501. I have never had it disconnect and I have used both APPs on my iPhone without issue.

I relocated my WIFI antenna from under the tub to just outside the tub...on a 4X4 about 1 foot above the top of tub (and 6"-8" from the outside of the skirt).  I can (and will) move the WIFI unit higher up the 4x4, thus moving it farther away from the tub pump and circuitry.  I will report back if that improves the situation.

Update #1 - I have now raised the unit to be 5 feet above the top of the tub.  It is in horizontal line to my WAP that is about 10 feet away.  Will Keep the group posted.....

Update #2 - After moving the WIFI module farther away from the tub, it still routinely drops the WIFI connection.  I reset the module magnetically and hope for the best...only to have stay connected for just a few moments to a few hours...

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, Tayls77 said:

I also have the Balboa Wifi module. It will only connect once then it registers the SSID to the Balboa cloud service (yearly service)

To suggest an alternative to power cycle. I don't know what power cycling the wifi module means to you guys? Does that mean turning off the power for the whole hot tub? I'm always weary in doing that. If you just  mean taking power out of just the module only well I haven't investigated in I can do that BUT if you just want to reset the module for connectivity my module comes with a reset magnet which part of the wire that connects it. I just touch the wire above the reset line and the direct connection to the spa will be available again.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 7:53 AM, enzeno said:

I also am having issues with the Balboa module.  Just as others describe, it drops off the network at random times.  I even installed a WAP that is about 15 feet from the spa.  From what others have stated, it would appear that Balboa replacements do the same thing.  

Just curious if this behavior occurs to everyone, or has a solution be found?  Power cycling the tub is annoying and I feel somehow its not good for it...

Find the reset magnet and raise above reset line which is half way in the module it self. I also don't like turning my tub on and off

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.