C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Plex Media Server Driver

alanchow

Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.p'

Chowmain - Plex Media Server Driver 

Control4’s movie management system was designed to handle DVD changers and as such only works well with DVD folder type structures. Unfortunately the majority of today’s video containers are not DVD folders and as such cannot be cataloged easily with Control4. This makes creating and managing a Control4 movie library tedious and time consuming task . 

As such Chowmain has made movie management so much simpler with the Plex Media Server solution. 

Plex Media Server is software designed to catalog and distribute your movies and music. The software can be installed on windows, linux, mac osx and even on specific NAS drives. 

The Chowmain Plex Media Server driver parses the Plex Media Server database for a list of its movies and grabs the meta data and cover art for all of the movies it finds. It then inserts it into the Control4 network file storage driver as if the driver scanned it itself. As such the driver will work with any media player that supports movie playback from Control4’s navigator interface. This includes the Control4 media player, network EVA8000/8000, dune media players and more. 

Features 
* Integration with any Plex Media Server 
* Ability to sort out which files go with the network file storage driver set up. 
* Movie Cover Art Injection 
* Movie Meta Data Injection 

Frequently Asked Questions 

Can you give us some examples of how we could use this driver? 
* This driver is useful for indexing extremely large movie libraries. The awesome part of this driver is that it will work with any media player that is compatible with Control4's movie management system. This includes the netgear EVA8000/9000/9150, DuneHD, Popbox, XBMC, Plex and much more. It is not tied into the media player! 

Are there any other cool things we can do with this driver? 
*Since Extra Vegetables provides a free trial licence for every customer you can essentially use this driver to index your clients movie collection on every job without purchasing a licence. After the trial period elapses its your choice if you want to update the library manually or purchase a licence to have it done automatically. We encourage you to do this. 

*This driver works with Plex Media Server on any platform. Though it will work on the windows and osx releases of the software the real strength lies in the versions that are available on NAS drives. Popular NAS drives supported include Synology, QNAP, Netgear and more. As such you only need a media player and a NAS drive to have a fully automated movie system. 

What hardware will this work on? 
Plex Media Server is available for Windows, Mac OSX and various NAS drives. Please see the Plex website for more information. 

How do I find out more information about the driver? 

Please see the links below for more information about the driver. 

Download Product Information Sheet 

Download Installation Guide 

How do I buy the driver?
This driver is developed by Chowmain software & apps and is distributed and supported by Houselogix, Inc. 

Download Driver / Purchase Licence

Who do i contact for technical support?
This driver is developed by Chowmain software & apps and is distributed and supported by Houselogix, Inc. 

Support

Do you provide trial licences?
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 48 hour trial. This is activated once you add the driver to the project. No additional steps are necessary. 

1393295449367.jpg

• 6 months later...

• 1 month later...

Dear Alan,

This is my first post on this forum.  Signed on the dotted line and waiting for my Control4 installation to begin in the next 10 days  :)

A quick question about your Plex Media Server Driver. Under 'Watch', can a separate resource called 'TV' be created, which points to my library of TV shows in Plex? Do TV shows have to be all jumbled up together with Movies??? Say it aint so!

Regards

• 2 months later...

Alan, can you tell me what is the difference between the "Update Library" and "Import Library" action? Update seems pretty quick, but is the new content will be added or it'll only refresh what's already imported?

Import will reset the database and start from scratch.

Update will just add items that are not already in the database.

Update does not seems to suck too much resources... Do you think scheduling an "Update" at each 5min is something safe? My client add and remove movies very often...

Yeah that should be fine.

It only uses up resources when it adds a new movie.  So if there are no new movies then you will hardly notice it.

• 1 month later...

Updating library at each 10 minutes is confirmed not impacting system performance, and highly recommended for people who constantly add and remove content to their library like my client. Maybe an auto-update properties could be added and enabled by default in the next version for quicker install, just an idea...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello, i bought Plex media server app from houselogix but unable to setup it up properly can someone help me with the Driver Installation. Thanks

1. Read and follow the instructions included in the PDF installation guide with the driver.
  2. We also have a youtube video walking through installation - https://youtu.be/xrbqX1pBWJk
  3. If after doing those two steps you are still having trouble submit a ticket to our support desk - https://www.houselogix.com/shop/plex-media-server

Archived