C4 Forums | Control4

Internal Temp datapoint

SMHarman

OK, so living in an apartment which has the heating central to the building I don't 'need' a thermostat in my system.

But I am planning on putting a fan control switch into each of the bedrooms to control a ceiling fan in each.

I know this gives me the benefit of turning the fan of from say a keypad by the bed or timbuktu (if there is WiFi or Data network) but I'm thinking I may also what this to happen automagically if the temperature in the apartment went over a setpoint.

But I need that datapoint from something.  Is that something

1) C4 Thermostat

2) I don't know but someone here has a bright idea.

Equally, with the C4 thermostat, how would I power it?  I'm not hooking it up to a heating system!  Perhaps I should sneak into the basement and connect it to the heating system so I could control it from my apartment ! :)

Ta muchly.

You could use a C4 T-stat, and you can power it from a simple 24VAC power supply you can prob find at a Home Depot or similar store. However, cleaner and likely cheaper there are multiple other devices that have built-in temperature sensors that you can program off of, namely Axxess Industries contact/relay sensors, range extenders, motions and Card Access units of similar function. Both brands have both line powered and battery powered devices. Note that not ALL devices of these companies have the temperature reading option (notably the new Card Access Extenders do not) so be sure to check and make sure you get the right one!

Basically any Control4 dealer could get some if not any of these devices for you, not sure if there are others that would sell direct to an end-user.

I second what Cyknight is saying. Do Axxess motion detectors, and when motion is detected and temp is above XX, then turn on the fan. That way you're not running the fan in an unoccupied room.

I've noticed ceiling fans won't drop the temperature much (if any), but do tend to make it more comfortable.

^ The TV?  Turn off the Plasma if the room is getting too hot to help cool down the room?

What creative programming do you suggest?

I was thinking you just have to do a jumping jack every 60 seconds to keep the TV from turning off.  Then you have the added benefit of exercise.

Your post made me laugh. Use the motion sensor for the TV...LOL.

You can use it to turn the tv on when you walk in. Granted it's not a main path through your home. You could 30-60 min intervals to turn off the tv. For the lights can have the lights turn on off based on motion. Can trigger events or notifications if your not home and they are triggered.

You can use it to turn the tv on when you walk in. Granted it's not a main path through your home. You could 30-60 min intervals to turn off the tv. For the lights can have the lights turn on off based on motion. Can trigger events or notifications if your not home and they are triggered.

We'd already covered all that, with the exception of the TV.  I've never heard of someone programming a system to turn a TV on everytime motion was detected in a room; but my experience is limited to what I read on here, my homes, and a few friends homes.

Archived