C4 Forums | Control4

Congrats to my friends at Video Storm

dogdvr

We have a free kodi/xbmc driver on our web site.  It covers basic navigation using the C4 interfaces.  The Chowmein Kodi driver is for more advanced features like browsing your media libraries directly in the C4 interfaces (as well as all the basic stuff).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question...

Now that JAP has announced their UHD aka 4K solution, is there anything in the videostorm pipeline for this?

I'm sure we are all waiting for the day when we get 4k60p with 4:4:4 chroma but I have a feeling we are a few years from this. But then 8k will be the new thing :~

We do have 4K encoders/decoders in work.  Look for these to be released around 4Q16.  We decided to skip over the 1st gen 4K chipsets and will use the 2nd gen chipsets for our production products.  4K features are still evolving and buying the 1st gen gear isn't the best solution for most customers (compatibility issues, high cost, missing features, etc).

Keep in mind that NetPlay products use multi-resolution network video, so upgrading your 1080p system to 4K can be a gradual process.  All your sources/tvs will work together and get the highest resolution they are capable off.

On 1/18/2016 at 8:11 AM, videostorm said:

We have a free kodi/xbmc driver on our web site.  It covers basic navigation using the C4 interfaces.  The Chowmein Kodi driver is for more advanced features like browsing your media libraries directly in the C4 interfaces (as well as all the basic stuff).

Yep we tested our Kodi Full and Lite drivers against the VRX receivers and it works extremely well.  Videostorm makes some really good products.

On 1/18/2016 at 4:23 AM, m.roberts said:

Its great.  I don't think you will be disappointed.  It might take a week or so for you to get used to and how to program it, but I am very happy with the product and its scalability.  I just ordered 3 more decoders today.

Also, the XBMC app that is built into each decoder is awesome.  Granted, it does take the chowmain driver to control... which costs 250.00, however, after buying the driver (just one driver for the whole house) I now basically have an appleTV/video/movie box built into every TV.  This allows me to save an encoder input and watch all the movies my heart desires.

A few more firmware tweaks and updates by Video Storm and these units will be rock solid.  POE on the decoders would be HUGE!! :)

Our Kodi Full driver is $200 MSRP excluding installation.

• 1 year later...

Dear Videostorm,

Yo have already assist me on a previous issue I had on this thread, so posting this new "problem" here so that you can go back to my previous post which explain little bit about the configuration of my system. Since then I have replaced almost all VRX010 for VRX020

I have a Roku 4k connected to one of the encoders (set to 1080p) and had worked fine for some time. Some months ago I started having problems with it. I cannot match it to any firmware update on the Roku or con Control4, but something should be related. With some of the applications I can see perfectly all the videos, for example YouTube. But when I use Fandango or Netflix or Amazon Video, the image starts like in slow motion, with no audio and some artifacts. If I do not stop it, the Roku reboots. The strange things is that this happens with almost 99.9% of the content, but for example some of the trailer or "behind the scenes" episodes on tv shows run smoothly.

Because of YouTube working fine I thought that the problem was not related to Videostorm, so I did not try from the very beginning connecting the Roku directly to my Marantz receiver. But  I finally did it and everything worked perfectly. So there is some problem running the Roku on Videostorm, pf course I am talking in my home not a generalized problem.

After I recently upgraded Control4 to 2.10 the DS2 doorstation is not working well, and since nobody else seems to be having problems with it, I started doubting about some network configuration. So looking in your website I found this http://www.video-storm.com/downloads/network_setup.htm.

All my switches are Cisco SG-300 some poe and some not. Can this be the problem? The flow control is not activated ont eh switches and it seems they should be.

Another minor problem I have is when I start playing cable box 1 (for example) on one tv, it comes with no audio, so I change to cable box 2 and it does come with audio, then I return to cable box 1 and the audio is working....

Looking forward to your comments, which always have been very helpfull!

Thanks and bet regards

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

FYI, the best way to get support is either through support@video-storm.com, our ticket system, or by phone.  

First, flow control should be enabled on your switches.  However, not having this generally doesn't cause any issues with VTX100.  POE/not POE makes no difference.

I think the issue you described is due to an unsupported audio format that the Roku is sending.  Sometimes Roku will send Dolby plus and claim it is Dolby.  That would cause the timestamps to get corrupted and the symptoms you are seeing.  You can confirm this by forcing the Roku to send only Dolby (not Dolby plus) or PCM if it can't do the prior.  It is doesn't have any setting, you can use the "Force multichannel audio EDID OFF" button in your virtual manager source status page to completely disable it.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I always like more posting on forums since on many ocassions another member suffered the same problem as I did and replied faster than the original manufacturer. Anyway, I take note and next time i will go through email, considering that your support is very good.

I will try your suggestions once at home and let you know.

Thanks!

Regards

Fernando

Hi Fernando,
FYI, the best way to get support is either through support@video-storm.com, our ticket system, or by phone.  
First, flow control should be enabled on your switches.  However, not having this generally doesn't cause any issues with VTX100.  POE/not POE makes no difference.
I think the issue you described is due to an unsupported audio format that the Roku is sending.  Sometimes Roku will send Dolby plus and claim it is Dolby.  That would cause the timestamps to get corrupted and the symptoms you are seeing.  You can confirm this by forcing the Roku to send only Dolby (not Dolby plus) or PCM if it can't do the prior.  It is doesn't have any setting, you can use the "Force multichannel audio EDID OFF" button in your virtual manager source status page to completely disable it.
Hi
I could solved the issue with the Roku forcing it to using only Dolby/DTS. Thanks for this tip!!!
Do you have any data on why I don't receive audio from the cable boxes until I switch to another one and return to the first one.
Last but not least, when are you expecting to release the 4K? On some old post it was mentioned this was expected for Q4 2016.
Thanks
Best regards
Fernando

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

You can email me directly at jason@video-storm.com for the cable boxes.

NetPlay TV already supports 4K (both natively and upscaled).  For a 4K encoder hardware, we currently recommend this 3rd party device.

We will release a NetPlay branded 4K encoder in the next 6 months.  Our priority has been focused on more useful features & devices (Expanding integration options, Cloud API, IrUSB, etc).

Dear Jason,

ok, I would email you related to the cable boxes.

Concerning the 4K and your information that Netplay TV already supports 4K, please help me to understand how I can integrate this with my actual system, since until now I am using Netplay Pro.

My actual configuration is:

8 inputs on encoders VTX100. Only using 4 for the moment

4 VRX020 one with the Matrix and the other 3 connected two to Samsung 4K tVs and one to a Sony 4K projector.

1 VRX010 connected to a Full HD Samsung TV.

Y also have 2 more VRX010 for future TVs.

All this is connected to Control4.

How would I implement Netplay Home/ TV?

- Should I replace the VRX020 with the Netplay manager? I see they are phisically very similar...is it possible to upgrade de VR020 to Netplay Manager or In need to buy one.?

- Can I keep the VRX020/010 working on a system with Netplay manager or I need yer or yes to buy all Netplay TV licenses? This would be for the TV that is not 4K.

I would really appreciate if you could clarify which would be the correct approach for migrating (or adding) from Netplay Pro to Netplay Home. My goal is to have 4K distribution and also do not loose nothing of my integration with Control4.

Thanks and best regards

Fernando

Fernando,

Upgrading is easy:

1. VRX020 is the same hardware as NetPlay Manager (NetPlay Manager includes the NetPlay Mobile license bundle).  No need for a change there, just a firmware update.
  2. For TVs you would like to use NetPlay TV, just replace the VRX at that zone with supported hardware (Fire TV, nVidia Shield, or nothing if the TV is already an Android TV) and purchase a NetPlay TV license.
  3. Apply your new licenses to your Virtual Matrix
  4. Then in Virtual matrix sink setup, re-identify that zone using the NetPlay TV app on the new hardware.

That's it, everything will work together just fine.

BTW, Amazon is releasing a new, better Fire TV in a couple weeks so I would recommend using that one.  With NetPlay TV, you can change your decoder hardware any time you want without incurring any additional matrix cost (NetPlay TV is a perpetual software license).

24 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

But the VTX100 doesn't support 4K.  You'll also have to buy 4K encoders for your 4K sources. 

Correct, a 4K HDMI source needs a 4K capable encoder for full resolution.  Apps, files, movies, cameras, web sources, etc don't need encoders for the full 4K of course.

Can someone help me understand what would be required to make Netplay Home work for me? It looks like one single box, but I have 6 centralized sources in the rack and 6 displays (2 of which utilize AVR’s locates in the rack, the others just use the TV audio). I also have 16 zones of distributed audio. How does this one box become a matrix switch? Certainly I need encoders and decoders. This isn’t laid out clearly at all on the website (at least not that I could see/find).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NetPlay Home is a distributed matrix system.  Your sources use encoders, your TVs use Android boxes (Fire TV, etc) as decoders.

You also need one small box (NetPlay Manager) as the controller for the system.

We have an easy to use estimator on our web site:   NetPlay Home estimator

You can also call us for help during normal business hours.

For encoders, since CastHD is not available yet you can use our VTX100 or any of the third party encoders we support.

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, videostorm said:

Fernando,

Upgrading is easy:

1. VRX020 is the same hardware as NetPlay Manager (NetPlay Manager includes the NetPlay Mobile license bundle).  No need for a change there, just a firmware update.
  2. For TVs you would like to use NetPlay TV, just replace the VRX at that zone with supported hardware (Fire TV, nVidia Shield, or nothing if the TV is already an Android TV) and purchase a NetPlay TV license.
  3. Apply your new licenses to your Virtual Matrix
  4. Then in Virtual matrix sink setup, re-identify that zone using the NetPlay TV app on the new hardware.

That's it, everything will work together just fine.

BTW, Amazon is releasing a new, better Fire TV in a couple weeks so I would recommend using that one.  With NetPlay TV, you can change your decoder hardware any time you want without incurring any additional matrix cost (NetPlay TV is a perpetual software license).

Thanks for summarizing how to upgrade. Just some more questions to understand completely.

1. Do I need the dealer to upgrade the VRX020 with the Matrix to Netplay Manager or can I do it myself? Will the configuration be lost on upgrading?

2. I will gradually change all my VRXs to Netplay TV Licenses, but meanwhile do the VRXx still work?

Thanks for the tip on the new Fire TV!

Thanks and best regards

Fernando

1.  No dealer needed.  Just run the firmware update on the virtual matrix manager VRX020.  All settings will remain the same.

2.  Yes, all of our NetPlay (Pro and Home) products are inter-compatible.  You can have all three generations of decoders (VRX010, VRX020, NetPlay TV) in a single system.

• 2 months later...

I am trying to understand how Netplay works.  It uses an app on an AndroidTV device as a "receiver" of a video matrix correct?  And video sources could be either IP streams or devices connected into a Netplay "transmitter", correct?  And then the Netplay software acts as the controller that sends the right source to the right app on the right AndroidTV device, correct?

But what sources would you need that you can't get as native apps on AndroidTV?  You can get Kodi, Plex, Netflix, Live OTA TV via HDHR, LiveTV via SlingTV, HBO Go, TV network apps, etc, (even my beloved SageTV) as AndroidTV apps.  What other sources would you typically need?  Cable boxes for cable TV channels? Optical discs? 

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

I am trying to understand how Netplay works.  It uses an app on an AndroidTV device as a "receiver" of a video matrix correct?  And video sources could be either IP streams or devices connected into a Netplay "transmitter", correct?  And then the Netplay software acts as the controller that sends the right source to the right app on the right AndroidTV device, correct?

But what sources would you need that you can't get as native apps on AndroidTV?  You can get Kodi, Plex, Netflix, Live OTA TV via HDHR, LiveTV via SlingTV, HBO Go, TV network apps, etc, (even my beloved SageTV) as AndroidTV apps.  What other sources would you typically need?  Cable boxes for cable TV channels? Optical discs? 

Anything that you would normally use an HDMI input for.  Cable boxes, Sat boxes, Disk players, legacy equipment, Apple TV (???), etc.

I agree that most content is already moving to a streaming model.  In fact, that is EXACTLY why we structured the NetPlay system to run on standard consumer streaming boxes and/or smart TVs.  You only have a few sources left to be distributed locally, and NetPlay can do that at very low cost working within the same systems used for streamed content.  

With NetPlay, customers will have a streaming box (Fire Tv, shield, Android TV, etc) at every TV.  They can seamlessly select any streaming or HDMI source directly using their C4 remote.  They also have access to high end features such as Video Tiling, SplashTiles, Graphics overlay, PIP, etc.

IRUSB($29) gives you fast IP gui control of all those streaming boxes and IR control for your sources, speaker bars, TVs, etc.

Pay for only what you need, add or expand it anytime.  All the software licenses are perpetual so you can upgrade/swap your streaming boxes whenever.  

Encoders (transmitters) are as low as $150 now.  A single VRX controls the entire system, and NetPlayTV licenses are $90 each.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

So does the IrUSB also act as a room-wide IR blaster?

Can you use a Sony or Sharp TV with built in AndroidTV as a recever?

How much is a VRX?  

IRUSB is an eye blaster eye, typically used to control a single device via IR.  (It also controls the device it is attached to via USB by IP).

Yes, Sony or Sharp Android TVs run NetPlayTV directly and do not need any external hardware.

VRX devices are only sold by our dealers.  NetPlay Manager is the retail version of VRX020 and it is $599.

Archived