C4 Forums | Control4

Voice control using Siri - GoogolPlex

Hey guys, 

There seems to be an alternative to SiriProxy. www.betterthansiri.com introduced GoogolPlex to do various things but you can custom make commands. It seems that this, paired with a HTTP driver, could possible bring voice control to a C4 home with iOS devices? 

I am not the best at programming but it seems that there are some simple instructions to the right to allow "dummies" to program custom commands. Anyone else tried this out?

Shareez

This was from their site:

Intelligent Proxy Connection and Scalability

As stated above, we use a remote server to proxy the connection between the phone and Siri to introduce a custom DNS server that spoofs “google.com.” In order to reduce load on our remote server and maintain the privacy of users, we only proxy requests from Siri that explicitly begin with “Google Plex.” This is done with a client-side decision making script that reads the request being made and decides whether or not to send the connection through the proxy server. Since the server then only deals with a few requests, and is only proxying a marginal amount of network traffic (kilobytes/a few megabytes) per user, it can easily scale as it is built on EC2 instances. Your network traffic only goes through our proxy server if you explicitly ask Siri for “GoogolPlex.” The final result is privacy for our users and lower server costs for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only time we look at your data is when you ask us too, really, we won't - promise"

Hack, potentially will get killed in short order and has an unclear origin.

I'm all for innovation, nor will I claim this is a scam or attempt to steal info but I'd take care with what you send through here - and you can't, you send EVERYTHING through there servers, not just Siri - EVERYTHING because you're changing you phone WiFi DNS. Any claims that it only uses the proxy server on the 'call' is nonsense - spoofing it doesn't mean it doesn't contact their server first.

This risks costing you more than any of the paid options ever could.

At a glance, I think I would prefer using my own Siri proxy server on LAN, for which there is an existing driver and documentation. You can even run it on a raspberry ip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if you stayed on IOS 6.

Archived