C4 Forums | Control4

EDS Chamberlain Liftmaster MyQ Garage Door Driver

Hey folks.  I have attached the first beta release fo the Chamberlain/Liftmaster MyQ driver.  There are two drivers.  One is the controller which talks to the MyQ web service and relays information back and forth to the specific device drivers.  The other is a garage door opener driver.  I have plans to also release a driver that will work with the MyQ lighting devices in the future.

The default license key which will work until the end of June is posted below.  Please contact me if you would like to purchase a license.

Please test away and let me know what issues you find or suggestions you have. 

Thanks!

Eric

Edited on 11/13/2015 to include the latest release - this release is free and does not require a license key.

Edited on 12/11/2015 with a new version that supports some of the newer openers.

EDS_MyQ_Chamberlain.zip

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it seems to work.  I hadn't any interest in this until now.  A neighbor had a new MyQ retrofit kit that he didn't know how to install (?) so I walked over this AM and bought it off him.  Up&running within 20 minutes.  I'll keep on testing but the update seems to work in a timely manner.  What did you encounter that didn't work well?

I'm not completely sure what I stand to gain here.  I mean, it seems like I'm now running parallel control systems with the same capabilities.

Well, it seems to work.  I hadn't any interest in this until now.  A neighbor had a new MyQ retrofit kit that he didn't know how to install (?) so I walked over this AM and bought it off him.  Up&running within 20 minutes.  I'll keep on testing but the update seems to work in a timely manner.  What did you encounter that didn't work well?

I'm not completely sure what I stand to gain here.  I mean, it seems like I'm now running parallel control systems with the same capabilities.

Great, thanks for the feedback!  That's one of the things I'm trying to tweak to balance the api calls with responsiveness so happy to hear.  My issue may have just been the fact I was testing with various types of openers (virtual, retrofit, myq ready, etc.).  Let me know if you see any issues pop up or have any suggestions to enhance the driver.

YOU, don't stand to gain anything really. However if you didn't have your garage door integrated before this the MyQ solution is cheaper and easier. You don't need sensors for door state or relays.

Awesome stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you need the liftmaster Internet gateway for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you will need the Internet gateway.  Although, you only need one of those for all of your MyQ openers, lights, etc.

^^^Yeah, I see that.  I never once considered purchasing the full-blown CA garage door package due to the high cost.  I think I paid $50 for the existing CA Relay but my neighbor let this LM kit go for $50 so, for me, it's a wash :)  The sensor was already there as part of the alarm.

Some new construction homes come with the MyQ system installed, and it's not compatible with the Control4 relay system.  As I understand it it uses RF from the keypad to the motor for control rather than a wire that when shorted opens and closes the door.  So until now, those systems couldn't integrate.

Just curious, does this integration prevent a user from also using the MyQ app standalone?  

Other advantage of MyQ is that it's UL listed.  So for anyone concerned about closing a garage door remotely it has built in safety features.  It flashes the lights and makes a noise prior to closing the door to warn anyone who may be in the area.  Kind of cool, had customers and installers worry about that in the past.

I have two Chamberlain garage door openers that are about 2-3 years old.  Assuming that they are compatible with the MyQ system then what do I need to buy to integrate with C4?  Do I just need the MyQ Internet gateway (which is $53 at Home Depot Canada) or do I need the $139 Chamberlain Universal Smartphone Garage door controller?

And how do I figure out if my openers are compatible with MyQ?

I have two Chamberlain garage door openers that are about 2-3 years old.  Assuming that they are compatible with the MyQ system then what do I need to buy to integrate with C4? 

If they have the MyQ logo on the motor unit then they are compatible.  That being said if they are only 2-3 years old they should be compatible too.  Chamberlin is part of parent company that does LiftMaster, so you won't need the Universal kit.  You will need 1 MyQ gateway for the home, and a keypad/button for each garage door you want to control.  If the unit is new enough and the keypads already have a MyQ logo on them, or a button labeled "Learn"  you won't need new keypads.  My guess is you will.

If they have the MyQ logo on the motor unit then they are compatible.  That being said if they are only 2-3 years old they should be compatible too.  Chamberlin is part of parent company that does LiftMaster, so you won't need the Universal kit.  You will need 1 MyQ gateway for the home, and a keypad/button for each garage door you want to control.  If the unit is new enough and the keypads already have a MyQ logo on them, or a button labeled "Learn"  you won't need new keypads.  My guess is you will.

Thanks - I am pretty sure that the keypads do not have the MyQ logos but I don't know since they are never used as my cars have the garage door functionality built into the rear view mirrors.

Thanks folks.  As the good folks at Houselogix didn't seem to notice that I was starting development of this driver a week ago and didn't nicely notify me not to waste my time, I will not only continue to improve this driver but will be removing all license key functionality. 

It will be free and you can expect a lighting control driver in the next week.

After all, this took me a week to build and I did this wihtout the blessing of Chamberlain so it seems only fitting to offer it as a free driver.  Support can be obtained through this forum or emailing me at eric@ericscales.com.

Expect an update this evening that no long has a "License Key" property.    And for the love of god, can we all play nice and inform one another when we're both working on the same driver so the other doesn't waste a lot of time.  On the other hand, this is a good way to get the following "free" drivers from me that are in development (so please be honest) :-)

That, or Alan is right for his concerns.  Seems very convenient timing, although I will trust this is nothing malicious, just an oversight on common courtesy.

*Balboa/Bullfrog Wifi Spa Control

*Whirlpool Smart Appliances

*Tripit (yes, msgreenf, you are getting your wish)

An for the record, you'll notice the creation date of the Houselogix driver as 5/5.  I'm all for competition, but don't the big guys like Extra Vegetables and Houselogix have enough to work on?

Alrighty, as promised, here is the release of the driver with NO license key required.  It is free to use in your projects.  Also, I made a few additions and fixes which are included in the changelog for each driver.

Enjoy and let me know if you see any bugs crop up.  Coming soon is light control.

Chamberlain-MyQ-1.1.zip

An for the record, you'll notice the creation date of the Houselogix driver as 5/5.  I'm all for competition, but don't the big guys like Extra Vegetables and Houselogix have enough to work on?

I'm not sure one should pool Houselogix in with 'the big guys'. That creation date if I'm not mistaken get reset on a re-publish, though I indeed doubt it's coincidence and that they created a driver out of the blue - but if they saw a demand here and decided to create a driver due to that, I hardly think that is a bad thing? I would think that if they DID listen to what's requested here and act on it, then that should be applauded - not shot down.

Though if they were aware of you building one, it would have been courteous to inform you they were looking into it.

As I've mentioned on the overall subject of these - I like options and having two different drivers (and I thank you for making it free) isn't a bad thing.

I'm not sure one should pool Houselogix in with 'the big guys'. That creation date if I'm not mistaken get reset on a re-publish, though I indeed doubt it's coincidence and that they created a driver out of the blue - but if they saw a demand here and decided to create a driver due to that, I hardly think that is a bad thing? I would think that if they DID listen to what's requested here and act on it, then that should be applauded - not shot down.

Though if they were aware of you building one, it would have been courteous to inform you they were looking into it.

As I've mentioned on the overall subject of these - I like options and having two different drivers (and I thank you for making it free) isn't a bad thing.

I think you'll find the "free" driver works much better and causes less network load than other drivers.  I may even unencrypt it in the future.  Enjoy.

Multiple drivers are fine, but I would've appreciated the heads up and not wasted my time.  Although, it's probably a blessing in disguise as since they are selling their driver without the blessing of Chamberlain, it's a matter of time before it goes the way of the old Nest driver.

Hey folks.  The light control device arrived yesterday so there will be a light driver popping up very soon.  Also, the next release will include a feature to allow you to continue to use the driver if Chamberlain switches things up or requests that I stop development on this.  Since the driver is free, all they can do is ask that I stop development, but if the code is already there and driver is already out there I dont have any control on who uses it :-).

Anyway, I thought folks would find this comforting so v2 will include that.

ericscales, i would like to try the driver , i have a project i can use for testing

Excellent.  The latest version can be found in post #1 of this thread or in the downloads section of the forums.  As I update the driver, I am keeping post #1 and the download library updated with the latest.  Please let me know if you see any issues or have suggestions for enhancement.

• 2 weeks later...

Will the garage doors not show up in ios devices without binding them to a generic garaged door driver?  I Have the master dirver and 5 garage door drivers in a project and can not get them to show up on ios app.  All bindings are correct and I get correct feedback, just nothing in ios

Will the garage doors not show up in ios devices without binding them to a generic garaged door driver?  I Have the master dirver and 5 garage door drivers in a project and can not get them to show up on ios app.  All bindings are correct and I get correct feedback, just nothing in ios

To get them to show up on Navigators or iOS, you must bind a generic garage door to the relay and contact bindings of each MyQ garage door opener driver.

Archived