C4 Forums | Control4

HC1000 to HC800 upgrade program?

Does anybody know anything about the HC1000 to HC800 upgrade program?  Not sure if this is a "secret" so PM me if necessary--weird I have not seen it mentioned here.  If not a secret I have some follow-up questions.

Partial truth that. This does NOT apply to the HC1000 as it stands.

I know of no specific upgrade program from 1000 to 800 at this time - though it wouldn't surprise me to hear that instead of repairing HC1000 they'd offer a discount on an 800 - but like I said, I know of no such thing.

My dealer called me in March about a HC800 upgrade offer for HC1000 users.  It was almost 1/2 the retail cost of the HC800.  I should have gotten it but could not justify the expense at the time.  He said it was limited to just that week.  He was reaching out to all his clients with HC1000 so it doesn't seem like it was a secret.

Ok, since this topic got some traction, let me try to change gears a little.  I actually have a pretty large project, and have both a HC-800 and a HC-1000.  I consider this upgrade a want not a need.  Just how complicated is it to move the licenses including 3rd party licenses from one controller to another?  Is this multiple hours of labor?

Control4 licenses is virtually nothing as they aren't really ON the controller, they are on your account, to which you just register the new controller.

3rd party depends.

EV it's minimal due to how they handle the licensing, provided they were done by one dealer and the same dealer is reassigning. If this was done by more than one dealer it gets more complex. Time TO reassign isn't bad, time to contact EV, perhaps other dealers, sign licenses over between dealers etc can add up, though if smart one would do this PRIOR to the actual change.

Everyone else uses a different model AFAIK, and the 3rd party vendor would need to be contacted, they need to agree to and then actually do the new license key generation and so on. How long that takes depends mainly on the vendor, somewhat on the dealer to vendor relationship (ie how well do they know each other). This could be a 10 minute phone call or a several day progress. Again though, one should get this ball rolling earlier rather than later, though it COULD mean some of your drivers stop working for a day or 2.

If you have lots of 3rd party paid drivers from many different vendors, this can start adding up, and yes the time the dealer has to spend to make it happen CAN add up to a few hours. If it's all C4 and EV by one dealer - it's a matter of minutes.

Great, thanks Cyknight.  I have at least a few of the drivers from the smaller sellers ...  I need to get a list together.  What concerns me is I have a rescue dealer and I wouldn't expect any competence or cooperation in this regard from the original dealer.  Of course I think he is at least still in business--I guess its a whole different story if the original dealer or the driver maker is out of business...

Doesn't have to be - well or the dealer at least (driver creator of course is a different matter). I know Recluse, Diamond Design and Houselogix for example are certainly willing to work with you/the new dealer to make this happen - but from their perspective they need some time to get the message, digest the info, perhaps check a thing or two - they can't just randomly start handing out new keys just because someone tells them a story, but neither has ever been a problem to deal with. Cannot say anything about others (just never had to deal with them in this regard), but would assume it isn't a PROBLEM to get it done, just expect it to take some time and that it can't be done on the spot in a few minutes (keep timezone differences in minds as well).

This is the main thing that had kept me from moving Director over to the HC800 and scrapping the HC1000V3. I'm going to start getting a list together. Should be fun trying to remember/figure out what dealer(s) sold me what driver(s).

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

I too was offered the upgrade for my HC1000 to the new HC800.  However the dealer said after I paid for the HC800 (at around half list price plus pay him all install costs) Control4 was going to take the HC1000 and destroy it, ie I was no longer able to keep my HC1000.  Has anyone upgraded their HC1000 to a HC800 and in the process had to give Control4 their HC1000 as part of the deal?  Thanks

Wait. That destroying it thing is supposed to be for hc 1000s dealers had in stock. C4 is confirming that the MAC address was never registered. You may want to double check with your dealer that your 1000 qualifies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is a new controller coming out with 2.6? Why would we want to buy a 2 year old controller if an 810 is around the corner?

Haven't heard anything about this. I also don't expect this at this point as we have not seen ANY performance deficiencies with the HC800 to give us any inclination that new hardware is required. 

• 3 weeks later...

Like others have already said before this is a shitty deal. It appears to be designed for complete systems upgrades rather than simple main controller swaps. Why not throw existing owners a real bone?

Offer details:

• Receive a 10% discount on all Control4 products when you spend $3,000 MSRP* or more on Control4 equipment.
  • Or receive a 15% discount on all Control4 products when you spend $10,000 MSRP* or more on Control4 equipment.
  • You are eligible if you have registered a Control4 system at least six months prior to the installation of your upgrade. Control4 equipment must be purchased directly from your dealer and installed between February 1, 2014—June 30, 2014.

^Probably so.  I didn't see there was a page 1 to this thread.  For me, it makes no difference.  Control4 doesn't appeal to me to the extent of spending $10k.  The more accurate question is how could you spend that much- what do they have to offer that would run the bill up to $10k??  I will agree, that promo is for newbs.

Archived