C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Advanced Announcements Driver

alanchow

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately there seems to be a limit in Control4's announcement agent.  I am not sure if it is size related or time related though but you are correct it does cut out.

Not much we can do about it though.

If you have sonos however Extra Vegetables has a solution detailed in their installation guide that will work with our Advanced Announcements driver that does not utilise Control4's announcement agent.

Is it possible to get with them on it? To see if it can be changed? The driver is kinda useless if every morning i get my weather forcast and it cuts part of it off. Not very impressive in a demo situation!

Unfortunately i don't think it'll be something they're willing to change.  From experience firmware change requests to their system are long and painful (i'm still waiting for stuff from 8 years ago).

My house reads out the weather forecast, termperature inside my house and the energy usage of my house every morning just fine.  I think you might need to choose the right variables to utilise and cut down on your wording.  Are you using our internet weather forecast drivers as well?

Alan - is this the new sonos driver or the old one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latest Sonos driver has this functionality from what i can see.

Unfortunately i don't think it'll be something they're willing to change. From experience firmware change requests to their system are long and painful (i'm still waiting for stuff from 8 years ago).

My house reads out the weather forecast, termperature inside my house and the energy usage of my house every morning just fine. I think you might need to choose the right variables to utilise and cut down on your wording. Are you using our internet weather forecast drivers as well?

The latest Sonos driver has this functionality from what i can see.

whats the point of having an announcement driver and a weather driver, if it is limited in what and how much it can say? Why is the announcement agent limited to 20 secs. That is rediculous! I think you should disclose that fact in your driver details

whats the point of having an announcement driver and a weather driver, if it is limited in what and how much it can say? Why is the announcement agent limited to 20 secs. That is rediculous! I think you should disclose that fact in your driver details

Unfortunately it is not under my control.  If the driver does not meet your expectations you are welcome to a refund.  Thank you.

Also note that the announcement agent specifies a limit of 10MB and 15 seconds.  See Composer HE user guide for details.

http://www.control4.com/documentation/Composer_HE_User_Guide/

If you wish to bypass this limitation you can purchase an extra vegetables sonos driver and sonos hardware.

Just fix it Alan, as you well know it's easy - it always is. :rolleyes:

Limitations will always disappointing someone. Alternative solutions will never please people as they always want the limitations resolved but at least I'm thinking out of the box Unfortunately due to the nature of the problem only control4 can resolve it,

Not sure what else I can do apart from offer a refund for those who are not happy with the limitations.

Brings me back to the point always trial out of drivers first prior to purchase to make sure you're happy.

At my own home and at various showrooms and clients houses in australia and new zealand I have the following setup

"Good morning name, the forecast for today is <forecast> with a minimum of x and maximum of y degrees. The current temperature in your home is z."

Note this is using our weather drivers. I cannot comment on using our announcement driver with other 3rd party drivers I have not tried.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

UPDATE:

Added Play Online File command.  This helps get around the 10mb Control4 announcement agent restriction by downloading files only on demand only and also allow integrators to implement online or local text to speech services not included in this driver.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Added Play Online File command. This helps get around the 10mb Control4 announcement agent restriction by downloading files only on demand only and also allow integrators to implement online or local text to speech services not included in this driver.

Any way around the playback limitation yet?

UPDATE :

Now supports voice recording via firefox or chrome browsers on Android, OSX, Windows & Linux OS's. See first post for details.

Can you elaborate on this more? Maybe I missed it in the first post, but I saw a brief mention of it. At you saying that I could, from my phone (for example) say "Come upstairs for dinner, please" and have it play over the C4 distributed audio? If so, where do you do the recording to/from? You say it's web based, but where?

Can you elaborate on this more? Maybe I missed it in the first post, but I saw a brief mention of it. At you saying that I could, from my phone (for example) say "Come upstairs for dinner, please" and have it play over the C4 distributed audio? If so, where do you do the recording to/from? You say it's web based, but where?

Yes that is correct.

The driver has a built in webpage / audio recording engine which will record and upload the audio to the controller for playback upon button press. Basically press talk: press again and it'll play back through the control4 system.

Yes that is correct.

The driver has a built in webpage / audio recording engine which will record and upload the audio to the controller for playback upon button press. Basically press talk: press again and it'll play back through the control4 system.

How do you control/select which rooms it will play in? Can you create multiple "web announcements" that play in different rooms and choose which one you're recording?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.