C4 Forums | Control4

Smart Things to/from Control4 Integration

Let's see if I can provide a bit more detail and you tell me if I'm on the right track?

C4 driver creates a open port that can accept the HTTP GET request.

The GET Request is parsed via some sort of command interpreter, ie get all devices, control a device, get status of a device, etc.

The response to the GET would be the result?

Why would you need server sockets, couldn't you do all the parsing in LUA?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see if I can provide a bit more detail and you tell me if I'm on the right track?

C4 driver creates a open port that can accept the HTTP GET request.

The GET Request is parsed via some sort of command interpreter, ie get all devices, control a device, get status of a device, etc.

The response to the GET would be the result?

Why would you need server sockets, couldn't you do all the parsing in LUA?

server sockets is Control4's specific command for opening a port into the driver.

yes you are on the right track.  You will also need to parse the control4 project to grab all devices from the project and output them to as a response to a GET DEVICES command or whatever you choose to name the function call.

After that you will need to monitor the device states and send the state upon request.

Also need to send the proxy command to the device upon http command.

Its a pretty long winded process but it is achievable.. i know this because i've done it.

Read Time magazine. Current addition. Smartthings is going to be huge....bring this integration ON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can see it taking off at Best buy. They have an entire isle at my local store full of Nest, Trendnet cameras, and other DIY HA equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

So how compliant is Control4 to Zigbee as an open standard?  Why are the zigbee commands from Control4 devices not HA compliant?

Trying to get a Control4 keypad 2 button to work with smartthings...  It pairs, it polls, but the response is just a catchall with a bunch of hex that doesn't parse using the HA profile.  It's all control4 specific code.

Thinking that it would be a simple task to just look at the control4 driver for the keypad... Nope, it is encrypted.

Looks like Control4 is a closed system.  At this point, I have hit a major roadblock.  I don't think I'm going to ever be able to get any control4 zigbee device to work with smartthings.  Unless of course, there is some sort of willingness to allow this via control4?

Ultimately, it would be nice to repurpose some of my control4 zigbee devices or even used devices out there for smartthings, but I'm at a loss.

That unfortunate to hear...  Manufactures like closed or proprietary systems but think little of what will become of perfectly good equipment that is EOL and no longer supported but still functions perfectly well.  The EPA mandated chemical manufactures to be responsible for their products from Cradle to Grave, a similar stance may get manufactures to think about how their products may be used at the end of their official life. A more open approach to things such as device communication could indeed open up future use for old equipment and could increase the sale of equipment thus increasing margins for a company such as C4.  Control4 has some of the best dimmers/switches/keypads on the market yet they only work with C4 equipment. Allow them to work with other products, SmartThings, and you open up a new market to sell your product. 

Alex, I'll take "Things that will never happen for $1000."

What's funny is it can work.  But it requires reverse engineering the zigbee commands for the devices since they don't follow the Open Standard of the HA profile.

Not closing the door, just venting my fustrations...  Zigbee is an emerging platform, Control4 was one of the first players.

Yeah, and everything is done in that specific cluster.  Which is why it pairs, but just a hex bundle to figure out.  It doesn't conform to the HA profile for functionality, just for pairing.

But I could be wrong, but reading the data coming back from it, the zigbee spec for HA and how other Zigbee HA profile devices actually function, I need the spec from Control4 to make any use of the device.

Hmmm, interesting...  Ok.  Well maybe hope after all.  Still doesn't conform to any other device, but hey, that's not a surpise.  Just have to figure out the commands, endpoints and methods.  Shouldn't be that hard.  If only there was documentation, or someone who could help...

Yeah, that rumor started early last week.  Could be interesting to see if they or someone else acquires Smartthings.  Clearly they have attracted some interesting attention lately.

The valuation seems a bit low, but that's just me.  However, Samsung also announced its partnership with Thread, which would be a different CloudOS for IoT then Smartthings uses, so seemed a bit contradictory.

Anyways, not bad for a kickstarted project two years ago, 1 million in A funding, 15 mill in series B funding and now a rumored offer of 200 mill.

What is the market cap on Control4? 422 mill.  That means Samsung would be buying a company they thought was 1/2 of what control4 is.

That is probably the biggest shock...

C4 is definitely an Edsel not a BMW, that's why it needs a grease monkey for very simple tasks... Edsels got you places (sometimes) but most sensible people bought another American brand or Foreign car and passed on the frequent garage bills and service appointments.

Apples and Oranges.  Smartthings does Internet of Things way better then C4, but C4 does media AV and anything needing a UI way better.

Ultimately I want to merge the two.  Not replace either with the other.

Having presence sensors trigger c4 media scenes.  Using low cost z-wave and zigbee devices with Control4 controllers without waiting for someone to develop a driver.

Heck, just controlling my Nest via Smartthings and using the away status of my Concorde alarm via Control4.  This is the integration I am working on.

It's not easy, but it can be done.  However, the big challenge is hooking up C4 zigbee devices and gettting them to respond to the zigbee Smartthings mesh, that is the hardest part, but making significant headway in this.  Lots of used switches, dimmers and such out there for more people to get started in HA.

• 2 weeks later...

Apples and Oranges.  Smartthings does Internet of Things way better then C4, but C4 does media AV and anything needing a UI way better.

Ultimately I want to merge the two.  Not replace either with the other.

Having presence sensors trigger c4 media scenes.  Using low cost z-wave and zigbee devices with Control4 controllers without waiting for someone to develop a driver.

Heck, just controlling my Nest via Smartthings and using the away status of my Concorde alarm via Control4.  This is the integration I am working on.

It's not easy, but it can be done.  However, the big challenge is hooking up C4 zigbee devices and gettting them to respond to the zigbee Smartthings mesh, that is the hardest part, but making significant headway in this.  Lots of used switches, dimmers and such out there for more people to get started in HA.

This is brilliant! Thank you for taking this on!

There are so many simple little items that are dramatically more complicated with C4. Smart Thing is becoming extremely popular and we are going to see more "life hack" type items coming every day.

I would buy this for the easy integration with their RFID key fob alone, and that's just a small piece of their puzzle. 

This is great for DIY'ers that want to get into HA, and when they start to use it as part of their daily life branch out and integrate C4 with a professional to really get the media options and customizations. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, major day today.  I have a C4 dimmer paired and controlled in Smartthings...  Took a ton of work, and not done yet.  But it works.

Video here... https://plus.google.com/109218861040495449466/posts/Dv7VLQsCQ3H

Next up a keypad, but dimmer, setLevel, on/off and current state seem to all be working...

Turns out it does follow the HA protocol for sending commands, but not on refresh commands, but was able to parse those out.  Also, it does not conform to HA for reporting button pushes to the controller either.

Anyway, it is now possible to use Control4 dimmers in Smartthings, but it is a bit rough around the edges...

• 3 months later...

Archived