C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

Yes, all the LED strips under the cabinets are daisy chained, so I just need one decoder in the kitchen.  Do you sell the generic solution?  Would I just put one of my PX24500 boxes in the kitchen and build another XLR->RJ45 cable in the kitchen, and then I'd have to build one last one in the theater to go BACK to XLR at the end of the daisy chain to put this wireless transmitter on it?  What powers these transmitter/receivers?  I suppose the transmitters always has to be at the end of a chain of decoders since it only has one input and no output?

What's nice about Wireless DMX is that you don't have to follow the chain, just plug the transmitter anywhere, it just need the DMX feed, and it'll work. Do you use the Double DMX Engine with both XLR5 and XLR3 output? You can just plug the Wireless sender to the XLR3 output of the engine while letting your wired DMX stuff on the XLR5 and you're good to go. So in your case, the simplest solution is to use a transmitter connected directly on the DMX Engine and a wireless decoder in the kitchen cabinet. As long as you have electrical power there, it'll work.

As for transmit power, those devices are "SUPOSED" to allow 400m range, 400m is very far! I'm not sure if this is true but I'm confident the range is enough for indoor use in a wooden frame building. Not tried in a commercial building or concrete home.

1 hour ago, jackstone said:

What's nice about Wireless DMX is that you don't have to follow the chain, just plug the transmitter anywhere, it just need the DMX feed, and it'll work. Do you use the Double DMX Engine with both XLR5 and XLR3 output? You can just plug the Wireless sender to the XLR3 output of the engine while letting your wired DMX stuff on the XLR5 and you're good to go. So in your case, the simplest solution is to use a transmitter connected directly on the DMX Engine and a wireless decoder in the kitchen cabinet. As long as you have electrical power there, it'll work.

As for transmit power, those devices are "SUPOSED" to allow 400m range, 400m is very far! I'm not sure if this is true but I'm confident the range is enough for indoor use in a wooden frame building. Not tried in a commercial building or concrete home.

Unfortunately, I have the one port version of the RS232->DMX controller.  But that's ok, I've already made a couple XLR cables, no worries to make a couple more.  So, should I just grab some generic ones from Amazon/eBay/aliexpress?  

Thanks for all the advice!

We can sell the hardware and guarantee it'll work, but it will be clearly cheaper if you buy online.

If you do, please give us a feedback of the hardware you bought and how it work.

Also, I would ask to wait a bit before ordering, I just read that those transmitter operate on the 2.4ghz range, and I since DMX is a constant streaming protocol, I want to make sure it will not disrupt ZigBee functionality, I will test tonight and will post the result.

Does anyone know of PC software that is compatible with the Engineering Solutions DMX engine?  I would like to create some more advanced lighting scenes for the holidays, and then switch back to C4 to control every day stuff.  I was looking at Vixen 3 but I can't seem to find anywhere in the documentation what hardware is compatible.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

4 hours ago, zax123 said:

Oh cool thanks, I'll wait to hear if you have any interference with ZigBee.  Thank you!

I confirm the Wireless thing had a pretty good range (whole house and yard) and does not conflict with ZigBee.

It's really cool to only have to drop a Wireless wallwasher outside the house, plug it into the power outlet and done, it work! And do nice effects on the house front ;) Easiest XMas lighting setup ever!

33 minutes ago, cybuch said:

Does anyone know of PC software that is compatible with the Engineering Solutions DMX engine?  I would like to create some more advanced lighting scenes for the holidays, and then switch back to C4 to control every day stuff.  I was looking at Vixen 3 but I can't seem to find anywhere in the documentation what hardware is compatible.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

At my knowledge, there is no software that work directly with the ES Box, like FreeStyler for naming only this one. It's really an integrator-oriented product, you can control it using a terminal software and some command line but that's almost it. If you really need a PC software to drive your DMX setup, it's easier to buy a cheap Enttec Open DMX USB (or any compatible device like DMX King). unplug the XLR from the ES to connect to the Enttec, run your show and plug back the ES for daily usage. Maybe a DMX switcher exist but I don't know...

What kind of Advanced scene you want to do? Maybe we could include them is the next driver release? We always like consumer suggestion for enhancing our driver...

Thats what I was afraid of, but you gave me a good solution.

I would really like to see the chase scene be able to incorporate any color I want, the use current levels doesnt seem to work correctly, I may not know enough about the driver.  I would also like to do random loop, multiple colors with the pallet I choose, not just the presets.  

12 minutes ago, cybuch said:

Thats what I was afraid of, but you gave me a good solution.

I would really like to see the chase scene be able to incorporate any color I want, the use current levels doesnt seem to work correctly, I may not know enough about the driver.  I would also like to do random loop, multiple colors with the pallet I choose, not just the presets.

We are planing to release a new version of the driver within the next few weeks and you will get a whole new way to customize the Chase with the color you want, really easily. Random Loop will also get the same custom option with a nice Color Picker to chose the precise color you want.

Sorry for keeping you waiting but the next release is a complete new build on certain drivers part of the suite and need more work than expected. You will get the features you requested, you can count on it.

2 hours ago, jackstone said:

We are planing to release a new version of the driver within the next few weeks and you will get a whole new way to customize the Chase with the color you want, really easily. Random Loop will also get the same custom option with a nice Color Picker to chose the precise color you want.

Sorry for keeping you waiting but the next release is a complete new build on certain drivers part of the suite and need more work than expected. You will get the features you requested, you can count on it.

Awesome!!!  Looking forward to it!!

A few questions. It looks like the wireless transmitter/receiver is sold as a pair. In the event one is purchased and another transmitter is required later. Is it difficult to add an additional? Do they need to be paired etc?

Also. I have to connect two 5m pixel led strips together. I'd like to link the channels but I don't have a 12v power supply with enough wattage for 10m of continuous strip without dropoff. Can I connect a different 12v power supply to both strips. But still connect the channels to each other?

1 hour ago, malelan said:

A few questions. It looks like the wireless transmitter/receiver is sold as a pair. In the event one is purchased and another transmitter is required later. Is it difficult to add an additional? Do they need to be paired etc?

Also. I have to connect two 5m pixel led strips together. I'd like to link the channels but I don't have a 12v power supply with enough wattage for 10m of continuous strip without dropoff. Can I connect a different 12v power supply to both strips. But still connect the channels to each other?

Can't tell for every transmitter available on the market, but the one we have in the lab does not need to be paired. You install the "Sender" on the DMX Engine, and any Wireless DMX device or Wireless decoder receive the signal, you only have to set the DMX Channel on each device the same way you'll do with wired DMX.

As for the strips, you can use RGB amplifier to re-power a strip, but it's sometime simpler to run another set of 18/4 the half of the strip and repower from there since 10m of strip is able to run all on a single decoder output.

33 minutes ago, malelan said:

Does anyone know the pinouts for RGB LED strips. It looks like at the end of the strip there is 3 pads. Voltage ground and data. Do I connect all channels from my decoder to data?

This look like Pixel LED, not standard RGB strip. Isn't?

Yes you need a decoder that support the specific control chip on the strip, you need a robust quality decoder because it'll have to drive a whole bunch of light simultaneously.

China decoder does not produce good result from what I've tried.

Yes you need a decoder that support the specific control chip on the strip, you need a robust quality decoder because it'll have to drive a whole bunch of light simultaneously.

China decoder does not produce good result from what I've tried.

Sounds good. I'll shelf this and use it later when I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.