C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

3 leds, meaning 3 led fittings 3w each

No i cannot connect these to a hardwired decoder, but i have plenty of spares as im soon to be expanding the landscape lighting, so i can setup a trial wired solution.

What i have found is this.

colour change dimmer value 0-4 = off, 5-12 = red, 13-37 = yellow, 38-45 = green, 46-70 = blue, 71-79= dark blue, 80-100 = purple

so from this you can see why blue followed by green and yellow are prominent in their duration. (i hope this helps)

1 hour ago, bk said:

3 leds, meaning 3 led fittings 3w each

No i cannot connect these to a hardwired decoder, but i have plenty of spares as im soon to be expanding the landscape lighting, so i can setup a trial wired solution.

What i have found is this.

colour change dimmer value 0-4 = off, 5-12 = red, 13-37 = yellow, 38-45 = green, 46-70 = blue, 71-79= dark blue, 80-100 = purple

so from this you can see why blue followed by green and yellow are prominent in their duration. (i hope this helps)

The ColorChanger isn't the best way to test individual RGB channel, do the same test with the real RGB dimmer. check if all three channels react correctly and make sure no channel are stuck.

what i fine trying each of the channels, red, green and blue is that most (all visable) dimming seems to happen between the values of 5 and 15. Higher than that level does not appear to make much of a difference. But each of the 3 work in the same way.

2 minutes ago, bk said:

what i fine trying each of the channels, red, green and blue is that most (all visable) dimming seems to happen between the values of 5 and 15. Higher than that level does not appear to make much of a difference. But each of the 3 work in the same way.

I see... so maybe you LED fixture does not support being dimmed, thus making this "persistent" effect on some color. There is nothing we can really do about that except using a color loop that does not implement fading. You can also try to reduce the brightness of the Color Loop to 10 or so and see if it helps. sure you will lose the ramp scale but your LED does not support it anyway...

interesting, most of my led fittings while being sold as dimmable from a number of sources behave in the same way.

I'm currently using both the enttec controller and just added the engineering solutions one, as well as different decoders from enttec and other chinese decoders.

Im guessing from your comments that other leds work dimming on a linear basis?

14 minutes ago, bk said:

interesting, most of my led fittings while being sold as dimmable from a number of sources behave in the same way.

I'm currently using both the enttec controller and just added the engineering solutions one, as well as different decoders from enttec and other chinese decoders.

Im guessing from your comments that other leds work dimming on a linear basis?

"Dimmable" is a very large term that is anything but precise... There is three major dimming type for LED: DC Dimming, Constant Current and Constant Voltage (PWM). Most cheap China use PWM as dimming method, witch is fine for most LED strip, but some fixture require other dimming method and that does not mean it can't be used with DMX, but you may need to replace the decoder with a model that provide the right type of dimming.

Even though, this is only and idea... I may be wrong.

thanks, that helps. I'll make some enquiries.

All my dimming leds, even dhali have dimmed mostly over a short range near off.

Most if not all here in Australia are out of China.

I'll adjust my dimming and colour changes via programming.

Appreciate your help.

2 hours ago, bk said:

thanks, that helps. I'll make some enquiries.

All my dimming leds, even dhali have dimmed mostly over a short range near off.

Most if not all here in Australia are out of China.

I'll adjust my dimming and colour changes via programming.

Appreciate your help.

And FYI, the upcoming version 2.0 of our DMX driver will feature the "Max/Min" properties for the DMX dimmers, just like with a C4 dimmer, that will help dealing with your LED's short dimming range.

And FYI, the upcoming version 2.0 of our DMX driver will feature the "Max/Min" properties for the DMX dimmers, just like with a C4 dimmer, that will help dealing with your LED's short dimming range.

I'm looking forward to it, thank you.

Do you use constant current or constant voltage units?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 3:05 PM, jackstone said:

I did not know about this one, but it seems somehow pretty similar to LOR, and not so hard to integrate... Yes, writing a driver for this is something feasible. I don't know how it perform though but LOR is a rock solid performer even when used through Control4, impressive system for the price.

If someone is interested to have a driver for E1.31 please let us know, I may work on that next year if there is some interest...

I am interested if you can create one.  I am in the process of switching over to pixel leds for my landscape lighting as well as dumb RGB (BTW, those light you sent me kick a$$!).  I am running everything through a few Falcon F16v2 controllers and I am currently running Vixen for control.  I can change the scene with a http request, but it would be so much better if I could control it directly with C4.

• 1 month later...

We are proud to announce the release of the version 2.0 of our Advanced DMX solution for Control4!

This version was aimed as a minor update over the existing product  but it ends up a complete rebuild with tons of added features.

The new version require an updated firmware for the RS-232 DMX Engine that allow 100fps silky smooth fades, faster data rate, new commands set and many code optimization. This firmware is needed for the version 2.0 of the driver to work. We provide the firmware at no charge with the driver download package at Houselogix.

Overview of the new features:

• New code base, lot of optimization
  • Recovery function to get the DMX Engine back online as quickly as possible in case of outage. it also restore the last light state
  • Full scene support through the Advanced Lighting Agent will built-in backup to avoid scenes to stop working on controller reboot
  • Smoother fade, really smooth, you won't believe.
  • New group dimmer for RGB or Single lights
  • Better RGBW support on all RGB drivers
  • Effect Switch entirely redone with new effects and full customization over ALL effects
  • Easy custom color setup through the new Color Picker proxy in OS 2.9:

• Eight base effects with full customization, for a thousand of possible effect variations:

RangedLoop-ts.pngRandomLoop-ts.png  SingleChase-ts.pngVortex-ts.png

Fireball-ts.pngAdvChase-ts.png  Glow-ts.pngMovingSpots-ts.png

• Custom Colors available to ALL Effects:

Custom1.PNG         

A brand new ColorPicker interface for TouchScreen. You can now easily change the color of your lights using an simple Color Wheel or Color Chart on your touch screen or mobile devices:

iPad - RGB Wheel-s.PNG

iPad - Color Chart-s.PNG

Best of all, upgrade to version 2.0 is free for everyone who purchased version 1.x. Houselogix online code will continue to work, however if you're using the Offline code, you will need to send us and email with you actual code to have it upgraded to support the version 2.0. Please note that since it's a complete rebuild, you can't perform direct update over existing DMX driver from our previous driver version, you will need to start from scratch with v2.0.

Also included in this release, an experimental driver called DMX Sequencer, it allow the use of multiple effects sequentially, triggered by timer or music. For those who liked the past Sound-to-light feature, you will like this driver. It is release as experimental because although it worked well in our lab, we think this kind of driver will need some fine tuning based on customer feedback so we want to hear from you guys!

The driver is available right now at Houselogix. If you have any questions about this product, you can post right on the forum, I always monitor this thread.

6 minutes ago, cybuch said:

@jackstone, AWESOME!!!!  Do you know what the firmware version is for the DMX engine?

You need a DMX Engine with at least firmware 5.061.  All DMX Engine purchased from now (02/17) should be already at this version else a firmware image and update tool are included with the new driver. the firmware is known compatible with all red DMX Engines, it should also work with older black die-cast units but mine failed the update for some reason...

To update the firmware, you'll need a computer with a serial port and a regular straight M-F DB9 cable WITH the pin 4 (don't use this same cable to connect to the Control4 controller!). it is recommended to do the firmware update in lab, don't do it on a job site in case something goes wrong.

Also you need to make the DMX Engine to operate at 115200bps, if you purchased your engine prior of 11/16, it will need to be configured at 115200bps, a special BaudRate Changer driver is also provided in the package.

Let me know if you need some help with this...

1 minute ago, BraydonH said:

Is that color picker an App? Doesnt look like it, it appears to be running on Android.

Just wondering why I have never seen that interface before. Hue doesnt have anything like that.

It's not a separate app, it's built-in within the C4 App, it use the camera view as interface, it would be nicer to stay in the lighting section but since C4 does not offer native ColorPicker, we had to be a bit inventive... But it work well and is very reactive, give it a try.

The screen shot you see if from the C4 app on iPad, it also work on Android and on the C4 Touchscreen.

4 hours ago, eddy.trochez said:

Damn! I thought it was a C4 fearure. Does that mean that you have to go to security to access the color picker?

Unfortunately yes, but that's not that bad, the result is about the same and the learning curve is pretty quick.

Maybe this will make C4 realize the need of adding a ColorPicker proxy in a future OS release, meanwhile, we can still use this kind of interface that all customers love.

3 minutes ago, jackstone said:

Unfortunately yes, but that's not that bad, the result is about the same and the learning curve is pretty quick.

Maybe this will make C4 realize the need of adding a ColorPicker proxy in a future OS release, meanwhile, we can still use this kind of interface that all customers love.

My hat off to you guys! Color picker looks really cool and it was way over due.

Sounds like I need to get upated! my Driver version is 1.4 for RS232 DMX Engine? Sounds like I need to update this first?

EDIT: Found the new driver

Connect DMX engine to a PC using a serial cable. Pin 4 (DTR) must be present for the
firmware to load.

I wonder if the serial cable I have currently running from the DMX Engine to my iTach has PIN 4, for some reason I remember removing a pin to make it work to begin with. Im guessing this was pin 4?  Sounds like I may have to get a new serial cable just to update this bad boy

EDIT2: can I use a USB to serial to update firmware. None of my computers even have a serial port :/

4 hours ago, blackfiveo1 said:

Sounds like I need to get upated! my Driver version is 1.4 for RS232 DMX Engine? Sounds like I need to update this first?

EDIT: Found the new driver

Connect DMX engine to a PC using a serial cable. Pin 4 (DTR) must be present for the
firmware to load.

I wonder if the serial cable I have currently running from the DMX Engine to my iTach has PIN 4, for some reason I remember removing a pin to make it work to begin with. Im guessing this was pin 4?  Sounds like I may have to get a new serial cable just to update this bad boy

EDIT2: can I use a USB to serial to update firmware. None of my computers even have a serial port :/

1- You can't use the same serial cable you used for connecting to C4 controller or iTach to update the firmware, I know this is a pain but you need to use a straight DB9 cable WITH the pin 4, the presence of pin4 will put the DMX Engine in maintenance mode thus enabling the firmware update.

2- Yes, you can use a USB to DB9 adapter, I've updated all of my customers using that kind of cable on my laptop and it worked perfectly.

3- If you're updating a single XLR DMX Engine (single port), it will support the firmware BUT the LED built on the enclosure will stop flashing for some reason, the Engine will appear dead with no light on but it will still work and will run the newest firmware

4- You will also need to change the Baud Rate of the DMX Engine, old baud rate is 9600, and new driver require 115200. We've included a special driver to do that right into Control4, to keep things simple. Install the driver and follow the instructions in the properties.

5- You will need to replace all the DMX drivers in you project with the new version, older 1.x drivers are not compatible with this release.

Then you should be good to go.

Note to all new customers: You will not have to do all those steps since all DMX Engine purchased by February 2017 will be shipped with latest firmware and a default baud rate of 115200.

24 minutes ago, jackstone said:

1- You can't use the same serial cable you used for connecting to C4 controller or iTach to update the firmware, I know this is a pain but you need to use a straight DB9 cable WITH the pin 4, the presence of pin4 will put the DMX Engine in maintenance mode thus enabling the firmware update.

2- Yes, you can use a USB to DB9 adapter, I've updated all of my customers using that kind of cable on my laptop and it worked perfectly.

3- If you're updating a single XLR DMX Engine (single port), it will support the firmware BUT the LED built on the enclosure will stop flashing for some reason, the Engine will appear dead with no light on but it will still work and will run the newest firmware

4- You will also need to change the Baud Rate of the DMX Engine, old baud rate is 9600, and new driver require 115200. We've included a special driver to do that right into Control4, to keep things simple. Install the driver and follow the instructions in the properties.

5- You will need to replace all the DMX drivers in you project with the new version, older 1.x drivers are not compatible with this release.

Then you should be good to go.

Note to all new customers: You will not have to do all those steps since all DMX Engine purchased by February 2017 will be shipped with latest firmware and a default baud rate of 115200.

Just to confirm I flash the firmware upgrade, then after that I need to change the baud rate using rs232_dmx_engine_Baudrate_Changer.c4z? or do I need to change the baud rate BEFORE the firmware update. 

Using the USB -> Serial Cable is there any confirmation I should see to confirm the update worked either check via my computer and see something or get a success messgae on the .bat file?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.