C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

1 hour ago, poisenoire said:

Chris,

I'm interested in  your GC response as I am running a GC itach w/ dual output DMX box but still on old firmware.  My installation requires the GC itach due to location constraints, so won't be upgrading until I see what you come up with!

GC didn't have much to say, they were actually surprised the device isn't working properly. There is something of note with the iTach Flex. Apparently they had a version 1 Flex Serial Cable and a version 2. Version 2 is only certified for 57600 and 115200. He didn't have an exact science to confirming my cable other than to look at it. The RS232 end should have "RS232" in the plastic molding of both sides of the connector. That's how you know you have a version 2.

I do have a Version and it still wouldn't work. As soon as I switched over to an HC250, everything worked perfectly. So unfortunately unless Jack has more to add/troubleshoot with the GC, I'm sticking with the HC250. I brought the GC back to my office for future testing if I'm given any other way to diagnose this from Jack.

Couple quick questions about this:

1- I have 5–PX24500 DMX decoders ready to install. They each appear to be rated at 15A max (5A per channel).  Would I need a power supply/transformer of 75A or higher (15A x 5 decoders)?

2- How many concurrent 5meter strips of 12V RGB led strips lights can each decoder handle before seeing a delay at the end of the strip? (Assuming I use a 12V 5050SMD type LED strip). 

Thanks

What powersupply you need depends on the amp rating of your LEDS - usually denoted by feet or meter. That's the MAX draw. Then you should keep a 20-30% overhead on the powersupply total. Be it as one powersupply or broken up in multiples.

Delay should be non-existant regardless of lenght. HOWVER if you do very long pieces, you may want to apply the power at BOTH ends to prevent fading (and in RGB that becomes discoloring) of the output towards the end of the strip.

32 minutes ago, Wolfaslov said:

1- I have 5–PX24500 DMX decoders ready to install. They each appear to be rated at 15A max (5A per channel).  Would I need a power supply/transformer of 75A or higher (15A x 5 decoders)?

2- How many concurrent 5meter strips of 12V RGB led strips lights can each decoder handle before seeing a delay at the end of the strip? (Assuming I use a 12V 5050SMD type LED strip). 

Thanks

Also, using the same power supply for many decoder is a good way to save money, but is not mandatory. as Cyknight mentioned, load your PSU to 80% and feed the most decoder you can depending of the LED load connected to them, then add another PSU and start another chain of decoders.

The best bang for the bucks for safe PSU is the Meanwell HLG series, they does not need a mounting box and you don't need to be an electrician to install them without violating the building code.

5 minutes ago, jackstone said:

using the same power supply for many decoder is a good way to save money

And it will depend on how much you need if it'll even save money, at some point heavier duty powersupplies with higher ratings will actually start to cost MORE than several 'lighter' ones. Mind you you're talking a LOT of feet before you get there, and not likely with 5 decoders, but keep it in mind.

36 minutes ago, jackstone said:

Also, using the same power supply for many decoder is a good way to save money, but is not mandatory. as Cyknight mentioned, load your PSU to 80% and feed the most decoder you can depending of the LED load connected to them, then add another PSU and start another chain of decoders.

The best bang for the bucks for safe PSU is the Meanwell HLG series, they does not need a mounting box and you don't need to be an electrician to install them without violating the building code.

Thanks!

Yes, I should have also clarified that I'd be using the 30LED/metre type of 5m roll.  I haven't bought them yet, but I was trying to buy them all at the same time as PSU.  Good advice on Meanwell PSU.

Also, can you confirm that the ES controller (with single output only as that's what I have bought) can NOT be upgraded to the latest firmware?  You mentioned in an earlier post that that was a possibility....

5 hours ago, Wolfaslov said:

Thanks

2 - I was running 150 per strip and ran 5 end to end.  I power injected at the beginning of strip 1, between strip 2 & 3, and at the end of strip 5.  The end of strip 5 was 250 feet from the DMX decoder.  You will need to inject at least this much with those strips or you will have dimming and color inconsistencies.

Hi Jackstone

I am experiencing an anomaly, with the DMX Group RGB Dimmer.

I an controlling a series of 10 fittings. When i enter the number of fittings to 10, it is controlling 9, st fittings to 9 and it is controlling 8, i have had to set 11 to control 10 in series.

Driver version 202. Just thought i would point it out.

DMX Effect switch on the same series works fine.

Cheers,

10 hours ago, bk said:

Hi Jackstone

I am experiencing an anomaly, with the DMX Group RGB Dimmer.

I an controlling a series of 10 fittings. When i enter the number of fittings to 10, it is controlling 9, st fittings to 9 and it is controlling 8, i have had to set 11 to control 10 in series.

Driver version 202. Just thought i would point it out.

DMX Effect switch on the same series works fine.

Cheers,

I've just done a test with 8 fixtures and it worked perfectly contolling all 8... Here's my properties page:

Can you post your properties page then I will test the exact same settings you're using..,

Capture.JPG

@bk: I have been trying to reproduce the issue with group control and all that I can say is that is work perfectly in my lab, even with the same exact channel as yours.

The only thing I could think of causing this is the firmware version of your DMX Engine, you need 5.071 for proper sequential group control (using a newer, optimised algorithm). Older firmware may have some trouble processing the commands.

We are proud to announce the new version 2.1 of our DMX Solution for Control4. This version feature minor bug fix and some nice additions.

What's new in version 2.1?

- Tunable White Dimmer     A requested feature to allow managing latest white LED fixtures that can product cool and warm white. The driver also allow the use of any kind of LED (RGB, RGBW, Dual-White and more) to create the perfect white light temperature output our of any LED fixture. It can also change the light temperature as the day goes by.

- DMX Sequencer     This driver was already available in beta but it now goes to final with the release. The DMX Sequence is mainly use to run multiple sequenced light effect in a room without any Composer programming, but the most liked feature of the Sequencer is it's Sound-to-Light feature that will make your lights dance to the music. This version bring LOT of enhancement and simplify a lot the connection and setup for Sound-to-Light. It also auto-calibrate the audio to make sure the light will always move. Check out this tutorial that will show you how to setup Sound-to-Light on Control4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXEyEOKH8UM

- New ColorChanger with improved Color Wheel     The ColorChanger driver has be improved for better touch accuracy on the Color Wheel. It now allow displaying the Color Wheel on T3 touch screens  right from the Lighting interface (no need to go on the Camera view!). The new full-screen Color Wheel interface have new control button for Brightness and Power Toggle. Also it can save the current color as preset of as the default turn on color, live. Here is a view on the new full screen Color Wheel on T3:

The driver suite is still available to download at Houselogix, you can also purchase all the required hardware there.

A side note about us (me)

As you may know, Houselogix has dropped tech support for third party drivers they sell, thus leading all service request are rerouted to the developer. In my case, I'm just a guy with full time job, coding Control4 drivers for fun on my spare time and running a company as a job side-line. So I don't have a support team to back me up, I don't even have a secretary to answer the phone when I'm not available.

I want to help you guy when you have questions about this driver or other stuff I've made, but don't be surprise if I can't take your call right away because I work all day long. The best way to get support will always be via e-mail, I always keep track of my e-mail even if this is not as fast as a quick phone call.

Please try place all support request via email to info@domaudeo.com. I will always do the best I can to help you.

20171014_170630.jpg

On 10/10/2017 at 4:06 AM, jackstone said:

@bk: I have been trying to reproduce the issue with group control and all that I can say is that is work perfectly in my lab, even with the same exact channel as yours.

The only thing I could think of causing this is the firmware version of your DMX Engine, you need 5.071 for proper sequential group control (using a newer, optimised algorithm). Older firmware may have some trouble processing the commands.

Hi Jackstone,

Ok so i factory reset the controller and reloaded the project. This appears to have fixed the anomaly.

BTW, fantastic product, i replaced all the Enttec drivers in this project now, i love the many options and much smoother transitioning of this solution.

Thank you!

@BK: I think your controller was still running an older version of the driver, because I can confirm the latest Group Dimmer work perfectly with no issue with the number of lights, but the older version WAS suffering that issue... This happen quite some time with any driver you try to update, and the only way I've found to fix it is to delete the driver on the controller using SSH and then add it back to the project.... But factory resetting the controlling will also do the job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.