C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 8:27 PM, bk said:

Using motorization relay, under actions from programming. Choice for open and close relay both say close relay.

Function works fine it is just the wording that appears in error.

@BK Where did you see that?

Capture.JPG

As many of you are still using version 1.5.9 and newer DMX Engine, here is the modified DMX Engine driver (1.5.9) that work at 115200bps. Just replace your actual DMX Engine driver with this one and bind the serial connection. All other child driver will continue to work.

This does not apply to anyone using version 2.x.

dmx_serial_engineering_solutions_115200.c4i

Hi @jackstone,

I'm trying your generic ethernet to serial driver with a sainsmart NCS1 unit.  The driver says it finds the serial port one ONLINE and I've configured the unit for 115200, but it isn't able to connect to the DMX Engine.  

Do you know if your generic driver works with sainsmart?  Is there something I could do to verify the protocol of the unit to see that it's compatible?

Thanks!

- Robert

UPDATE:

Just as an update to this.  I re-installed the driver and re-did the connections in Composer and I managed to get the firmware version out of the DMX Engine, but only once.  And whenever the Generic Serial over IP driver is installed in my project, the status bar in Composer flashes like crazy.  The text: "Direct Status: Idle" and "Connected to #ip_address# (SSL)" flash constantly.

My serial device has only one serial port, could it be because it is polling the other 3 ports and finding nothing?  My Composer even froze up completely and became not responding at one point.  It all goes away when I remove the driver.

I telnet'ed to the IP->serial converter box and tested communication with the DMX Engine just by typing simple things like "SET" or "GET" and I got some responses like "syntax error" or "incomplete command", so the converter is definitely working, I just don't speak DMX so not sure what I could type to get a coherent response.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!

UPDATE 2:

I put the driver into debug mode, and I get Lua Output of:

[10/25/17 21:48:17]: Trying to connect to Serial-over-IP device

but repeated 64 times per second.

Serial 1 Status still says "ONLINE" though...

Sorry for all the message, just trying to help diagnose the problem.

Edited by zax123
Added an update about debug info.

We do not provide deep support for the generic serial to ip because there is too much serial ip device on the market and the driver is free with no garantee it will work with your device.

I would suggest to try the global cache gc100 driver if your serial server is single port and the tcp port can be changed to the same a gc100 is using.

• 3 weeks later...

Jerome,

Does your V2 driver work with the original DMX Engine?? (Black with a single output)  I'm not getting any control for any channels.  Even directly setting all channels on.

I've followed all the instructions for updating the drivers, upgrade dmx engine to version 5.071 and also changing baudrate.  All of these were done correctly.

Engine driver shows online with correct firmware version.  Here is the Lua output from driver when executing get firmware action.

Function:    ExecuteCommand(LUA_ACTION):
Function:    GetFirmware():
ACTION
Function SendToSerial(I)
ReceivedFromSerial(), idBinding = 1, strData = Done
Handle Command: Done
Last command done
ReceivedFromSerial(), idBinding = 1, strData =  * *  RS-232 Double DMX Engine  * *
www.response-box.com/gear
Firmware v5.071

S
Handle Command:  * *  RS-232 Double DMX Engine  * *
Handle Command: www.response-box.com/gear
Handle Command: Firmware v5.071
Handle Command:
ReceivedFromSerial(), idBinding = 1, strData = tarted Standard DMX: 3
System Is Active & Feelin' Groovy
Handle Command: Started Standard DMX: 3
Handle Command: System Is Active & Feelin' Groovy
ReceivedFromSerial(), idBinding = 1, strData = Startup Scene:  None, Delay:  None
Handle Command:
Handle Command: Startup Scene:  None, Delay:  None
Last command done
Recovering from buffer...

And here's the Lua output when selecting All channels ON

Function:    ExecuteCommand(LUA_ACTION):
ACTION
Function:    SendToProxy (10, STOP_ALL_FADE):
Sending Command...
Function:    SendCmd():
Function SendToSerial(F000@255:000)
ReceivedFromSerial(), idBinding = 1, strData = Add channels:
Setting all chan
Handle Command: Add channels:
ReceivedFromSerial(), idBinding = 1, strData = nels to 255
Handle Command: Setting all channels to 255
ReceivedFromSerial(), idBinding = 1, strData = A/F Done
Handle Command: A/F Done
Last command done

Yet I still get no control.  Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks

No, it does not work with a simple firmware update. The update will be successful and the DMX Engine will be detected but no DMX output.

John from Engineering Solutions told me he has a working firmware for the older Engine that will work with our driver v2.1, but I don't have an old Engine in hand to test, you should contact him directly. Go to www.response-box.com

Hi. Yes I had the same problem. John kindly took a few mins out of his day to remote connect to my computer to update the single engine DMX box. 

Have teamviewer installed as that’s how he’ll get in. Also you need a serial cable attached from the DMX box to the computer. I used a USB to serial cable and it worked fine. And PIN 4 needs to be attached for this update!!!

It took him no more than 4 minutes. 

2 hours ago, Wolfaslov said:

Hi. Yes I had the same problem. John kindly took a few mins out of his day to remote connect to my computer to update the single engine DMX box. 

Have teamviewer installed as that’s how he’ll get in. Also you need a serial cable attached from the DMX box to the computer. I used a USB to serial cable and it worked fine. And PIN 4 needs to be attached for this update!!!

It took him no more than 4 minutes. 

@Wolfaslov you confirm the new firmware work on the old Engine? And this setup is compatible with the driver version 2.x??

2 hours ago, jackstone said:

@Wolfaslov you confirm the new firmware work on the old Engine? And this setup is compatible with the driver version 2.x??

Yes. It worked flawlessly. It’s not an easy update for a dealer to do (IMHO). 

He remote connected and updated it to the new firmware (5.071 I think) in a few minutes with serial to USB adapter (pin 4 intact for this update)  

I am using your driver v2.1. 

BTW, thank you for all your input to make my project come to life. Happy wife = happy life

Ok then, so everybody should take note that the old DMX Engine IS compatible with the new driver using a SPECIFIC firmware that is ONLY available directly from Engineering Solutions (yet). The firmware provided in the 2.1 driver package will update ONLY the double DMX Engine (2016 or less)

And BTW any Double DMX Engines purchased in 2017 ships with the right firmware so no worry for field update.

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.  I'm shipping my unit back to John for some testing.  Still not getting DMX control.  John was stumped as well.

Comms worked fine with the unit, just no output.  I guess I'm just the anomaly.

Black, Single Output Engine= Compatibility (TBD)

13 hours ago, lippavisual said:

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.  I'm shipping my unit back to John for some testing.  Still not getting DMX control.  John was stumped as well.

Comms worked fine with the unit, just no output.  I guess I'm just the anomaly.

Black, Single Output Engine= Compatibility (TBD)

The is the exact same issue I had everytime I tried to upgrade an old single DMX Engine, and each time I had to roll back older firmware to get DMX output back working. But John always claimed the older Engine is compatible with the new firmware so hope he'll find the solution...

Oh and John did the same procedure that we installers have to do to upgrade the engine using jackstone's new drivers.  Certainly wasn't a very difficult process.  Download some files, run updater, done.

The only issue is that the files aren't available for download.

Nevertheless, sending my unit back today for them to test.

Hi Jackstone,

I am trying to integrate the RS-232 Driven DMX Engine from Engineering Solutions Inc. to Control4 with the Advanced DMX V2 for Control4 Driver.  However, the Status of the RS232 DMX Engine Driver is showing the message "Timeout getting Firmware. check DMX Engine connection.".

Equipment:
1 x RS-232 DMX Engine
1 x Serial to 3.5 mm cable 
1 x Control4 EA-5 Controller
1 x Advanced DMX V2 for Control4 License
Setup:
The DMX Engine is connected to a EA-5 Controller with the Serial to 3.5 mm cable.  The serial side of the cable is connected to the serial port on the DMX Engine and the 3.5 mm side is plugged into the IR 1 (Serial 3) port on the EA-5 Controller.  The License key is applied to the RS-232 DMX Engine Driver (V.2.02) in Control4. 

I followed the instruction in the firmware update zip file to update the DMX Engine firmware, and it seems, not for certain, the firmware was updated successful.  However, when I connect it to Control4 for updating the Band rate with DMX Engine Baudrate Changer Driver, the information property in the driver doesn't display "Device Online" after binding the driver to a serial port. 

It seems like the Control4 system is not able to communicated with the DMX Engine.  What can I do to check the firmware version?  Can you recommend some solutions that I should try with this problem? 

43 minutes ago, Kobepanda said:
Hi Jackstone,

I am trying to integrate the RS-232 Driven DMX Engine from Engineering Solutions Inc. to Control4 with the Advanced DMX V2 for Control4 Driver.  However, the Status of the RS232 DMX Engine Driver is showing the message "Timeout getting Firmware. check DMX Engine connection.".

Equipment:
1 x RS-232 DMX Engine
1 x Serial to 3.5 mm cable 
1 x Control4 EA-5 Controller
1 x Advanced DMX V2 for Control4 License

Setup:
The DMX Engine is connected to a EA-5 Controller with the Serial to 3.5 mm cable.  The serial side of the cable is connected to the serial port on the DMX Engine and the 3.5 mm side is plugged into the IR 1 (Serial 3) port on the EA-5 Controller.  The License key is applied to the RS-232 DMX Engine Driver (V.2.02) in Control4. 

I followed the instruction in the firmware update zip file to update the DMX Engine firmware, and it seems, not for certain, the firmware was updated successful.  However, when I connect it to Control4 for updating the Band rate with DMX Engine Baudrate Changer Driver, the information property in the driver doesn't display "Device Online" after binding the driver to a serial port. 

It seems like the Control4 system is not able to communicated with the DMX Engine.  What can I do to check the firmware version?  Can you recommend some solutions that I should try with this problem? 

This really look like a baudrate problem. You can try to add the old driver version 1.5.9 to the project and connect the DMX Engine to it, see if it become Online. If this work, then we'll need to find a way to change the baudrate on the DMX Engine, this can be done with a computer if the driver does not work.

Hi Jackstone,

For 10 years, we have had parallel C4 and ColorKinetics (CK) systems, with the only connection being ON/OFF switching. Color control and scenes have been managed with a CK Keypad or computer through a CK iPlayer3 Controller.

But now, Domaudeo’s DMX Solution V2.1 offers everything we want for home lighting control, all through a C4 interface!! Including ColorChanger and ColorWheel.

1.     Will V2.1 link directly to CK’s iPlayer3 or CK’s PDS60/150 power supplies/decoders?

2.     If not, can I just replace the iPlayer3 with Engineered Solutions RS-232 Double Driven DMX Engine?

3.     Also, can I connect more than one ES DD DMX Engine to C4 and drive it with DMX Solution V2.1? We have 2 separate light universes, one inside and one outside and play different shows or scenes on each. Regarding the output to the XLR5 and XLR 3 ports on the ES DD DMX Engine, from ES, “Currently the outputs are parallel copies of each other.  However, each drive chip is connected to a separate pin in the internal processor, which means that future firmware updates could allow two universes of DMX to be driven independently. “

Some brilliant work from someone who also has a fulltime job! Also, I’ve read all 442 posts and there has been a lot of helpful input from others.

2 hours ago, C4Canuck said:

Hi Jackstone,

For 10 years, we have had parallel C4 and ColorKinetics (CK) systems, with the only connection being ON/OFF switching. Color control and scenes have been managed with a CK Keypad or computer through a CK iPlayer3 Controller.

But now, Domaudeo’s DMX Solution V2.1 offers everything we want for home lighting control, all through a C4 interface!! Including ColorChanger and ColorWheel.

1.     Will V2.1 link directly to CK’s iPlayer3 or CK’s PDS60/150 power supplies/decoders?

2.     If not, can I just replace the iPlayer3 with Engineered Solutions RS-232 Double Driven DMX Engine?

3.     Also, can I connect more than one ES DD DMX Engine to C4 and drive it with DMX Solution V2.1? We have 2 separate light universes, one inside and one outside and play different shows or scenes on each. Regarding the output to the XLR5 and XLR 3 ports on the ES DD DMX Engine, from ES, “Currently the outputs are parallel copies of each other.  However, each drive chip is connected to a separate pin in the internal processor, which means that future firmware updates could allow two universes of DMX to be driven independently. “

Some brilliant work from someone who also has a fulltime job! Also, I’ve read all 442 posts and there has been a lot of helpful input from others.

Answer 1: The iPlayer is just a show player, so no, it will not be compatible with our DMX solution since it act as a DMX Controller, and can only use one DMX controller per universe, except with some controller that has a DMX Input port, witch is not the case with the iPlayer. As an alternative, you can use the built-in effect of our solution, called the Effect Switch. It can't record a whole show, but it can produce some nice effects, highly customisable and it can either become dynamic with teamed with the Sequencer, that is also provided with the product.

Answer 2: I'm not so familiar with the ColorKinetics system but by checking the PDS60 specs, it seems it could work with a standard DMX input signal so it should with our DMX solution in Control4.

Answer 3: Yes you can add multiple ES Engine in a project and run two different universe. Some limitation: you can't run a single effect over multiple universe. You can program a similar effect, but it will run separately on each universe. Also all "group" driver only support lights in the same universe.

You don't have to use two Engines to run stuff on different zone, if you don't use all the DMX channels indoor, you can use the channels left to drive the outdoor lights on the same Engine. It does pretty well running stuff in parallel.

Just be aware of not running too much ultra-fast flashy effects simultaneously because this can lead to some CPU load on the C4 processor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.