C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I'm looking at LED strip lighting for my pool area, in particular to light up a waterfall and have no experience with this type of lighting.

I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can help with.

Please confirm/comment on the following:

1. DMX controller will sit in my rack plugged into the HC800 via RS232 ?

2. Controller will connect to 1st decoder via a DMX to RJ45 cable ?

2a. I am assuming runs of cat6 cable from the DMX controller to the DMX decoder can be reasonably long ie: 50-60 mtrs will be no issue ?

2b. 2nd decoder will be daisy chained to 1st decoder, and so on...

3. Decoder will be mounted close to the LED strip outdoors, most likely in a weather proof enclosure ?

4. DMX controller, via C4 interface, will be able to control each DMX decoder independently ?

Cheers.

This is a viable way to do it but I would recommend placing the decoders in a dry place indoor near the power supply. Then run a 18/4 wire from each decoder to the led strip segment it control,

So you'll only have cables that run outdoor, no sensible electronic devices.

Great, thanks for the advice, I hadn't even considered the decoder inside, had it stuck in my head that I'd be running cat cable...

Another question:

What limitations are there with connecting multiple LED's to one decoder. - can they simply be chained together using 18/4 wire?

ie: (my plan):

One decoder running the strip under the water fall.

One decoder running 2-3 LED spots shining up into the trees.

The limitation is only related to current drawn by the LEDs. Check out the Ampere rating of the decoder and don't overload them. If you want to put lot of LED on a single decoder, best is to use some RGB amplifiers, they cost nothing but can repeat the RGB signal and let add more load on the circuit.

Small DMX decoders are usually 3 amp per channel, some larger are 5 amp per channel.

As reference, a full 5M roll of 5050 RGB LED Strip can draw up to 6 amp so it's more than what a single decoder channel can provide. Having some amplifiers in hand is always very useful.

For wire, 18/4 is the most common type of wire for LED but don't overload it. A single 18/4 can power 10-15 meters of RGB strips, if you need more you may need a larger cable or put the amplifier at the cable end.

Speaking of your project, the strip will be short and will not cause power issue. The spot can cause problem if you use powerful unit (30w &+) Best is to use low-power spot (less than 10w) and you can connect everything to the same 5 amp decoder, or wire each segment separately if you want to use brighter spots.

It's all about load calculation.

The limitation is only related to current drawn by the LEDs. Check out the Ampere rating of the decoder and don't overload them. If you want to put lot of LED on a single decoder, best is to use some RGB amplifiers, they cost nothing but can repeat the RGB signal and let add more load on the circuit.

Small DMX decoders are usually 3 amp per channel, some larger are 5 amp per channel.

As reference, a full 5M roll of 5050 RGB LED Strip can draw up to 6 amp so it's more than what a single decoder channel can provide. Having some amplifiers in hand is always very useful.

For wire, 18/4 is the most common type of wire for LED but don't overload it. A single 18/4 can power 10-15 meters of RGB strips, if you need more you may need a larger cable or put the amplifier at the cable end.

Speaking of your project, the strip will be short and will not cause power issue. The spot can cause problem if you use powerful unit (30w &+) Best is to use low-power spot (less than 10w) and you can connect everything to the same 5 amp decoder, or wire each segment separately if you want to use brighter spots.

It's all about load calculation.

That roll of 60SMD 5050 is only pulling 2A per channel in RGB. It's the white that messes with the math.

• 2 weeks later...

Google Translate:

Brightness level is level 5 separate seviyelidir.hız level 10 separately. (RGB color determines the color of the passage of time) due to the default color mode .Demo görünür.vdc Operating voltage + 5-24V dc.çıkış current 4 amps differently for each color max.rf sound-sensitive remote control frequency of the control mhz.uzak 433 effective from 15 meters. (open field) RGB (LED strip), and other products applied in fun controls to desired values sistemi.ayarlan finally need to solder through the records in the memory socket connector edilmektedir.led duymaz.24-5 + dc amps max power girişli.4 input and output .Led groups. + -DC power supply switching models which are tavsiyemizdir.5 meter average value for 3528 lED strip should be selected around 2 amps or 24w led TRAFOSAN

(even translated, it's hard to understand, sorry I only understand English and French)

But I understand you want to show us an alternative for Sound-to-light with RGB lights? I know it exist quite few alternatives, but there no solution of this kind for Control4 and very few alternate solution can work with multiple lights on different channels. Our solution is able to make a large number of independant lights come alive by following the beat. The way it is done is not complex and will not replace a DJ console, but it's a nice addon for a complet RGB(w) LED control solution completely integrated with Control4.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice guy just find this cable:

http://sirs-e.com/shop/led-rj45-dmx-cables/heavy-duty-rj45-xlr-5-pin-dmx-cable-adapters-3ft/

This is the cable needed to connect the recommended PX24500 DMX decoder to the DMX Interface. It is hard to find and most of the time we were needed to build-it ourselves, not anymore, thank for sharing blackfiveo1!

nice guy, more like a confused guy :)

im going to lay my scenario out here because this thread is awesome full of info

I want 3 zones I will call them. The zone behavior is exactly the same output from the RGBW strip

1 zone (theater room)

1 zone (living room/kitchen/entry accent lighting)

1 zone (exterior house led lining the sophet of the house all the way around (approx 360 ft)

So

HC800 [via Serial] --> RS232 DMX Engine XLR5 [via cable needed thats XLR5 to RJ45] --> PX24500 decoder.

I could literally stack 10 of these PX24500 decoders in my closet with 1ft cat6 daisy chains. and have my power supplies to power them in that closet.

then from the PX24500 decoders I run 18/4 cable to the start of my LED strips. Each Decoder can support how many RGBW 5meter strips??? (need to figure this out)

So..

Zone 1 could be Decoder 1

Zone 2 could be Decoder 2

Zone 3(outside) could be DecodeR 3-10?

OR

Zone 3 could be Decoder 3 piled up which a bunch of RGBW amplifiers(think I like this better)

Sorry just thinking out loud, please jump in and correct me

You get it blackfive01

HC800 [via Serial] --> RS232 DMX Engine XLR5 [via cable needed thats XLR5 to RJ45] --> PX24500 decoder.

- Correct.

...and all other decoder daisy chained after the first

... don't forget to set the DIP switch on each decoder to different address, by keeping in mind that an RGB decoder use 3 channels and not one.

Each Decoder can support how many RGBW 5meter strips??? (need to figure this out)

Try to not connect more than 10m of strip on one decoder. Even if the PX24500 is 5a per channel, having more than two 5m strip connected together may lead to dimming and inacurate color. Use an amplifier after each 10m of strip. It's not a law, but just best practice,

then from the PX24500 decoders I run 18/4 cable to the start of my LED strips PX24500

- Correct for RGB, RGBW will require a 18/5 or 18/6 depending how they're made.

I could literally stack 10 of these PX24500 decoders in my closet with 1ft cat6 daisy chains. and have my power supplies to power them in that closet.

- Sure. It's the best way to do it. Only one big power supply needed.

Zone 3 could be Decoder 3 piled up which a bunch of RGBW amplifiers(think I like this better)

The more segment you have, the more color effect options you'll get. If you want to outsite to be always the same color all the time, with only a color loop as available effect, then connect all the lights on the same decoder using amplifier. If you want to enable "Chase", "Scrolling" or "Random" effect, then try to wire your lights sections on separate decoders.

Perfect thank you for your time and response, the PX24500 are just RGB, but I want RGBW strips, (my default I want my outside to be white). Is there a way to make that work? (different decoder possible? Also if I go that route of 1 decoder for all outside zone and use a bunch of amplifiers, I just need to be running a 18/2 gauge wire from my power supply to all these amplifiers is that correct?

Any links to a beefy power supply that would run all this? I found a 400watt one but figure I would probably need 3-4?

I almost like the idea of using a bunch of decoders(running 1 18/6 wire to the start of each run), but im back to my problem of wanting to run RGBand these decoders only are RGB.As opposed to h having to install amplifiers in my attic every 26 feet, it seems like I could set all my decoders to just do the same thing for my outside zone

You can install amplifier anywhere where there is a power source, they can also be centralised and all LED wire will be run to the same place.

For the "W" channel (white), just use a single channel on a extra RGB decoder. This decoder can serve to drive three channel of white that can be anywhere in the house. It's just a way to do it. You can also use RGBW decoder but I don't have model to recommend, the only one I've tried was not so good.

As for power supplies, to comply the electrical code you need to buy a transformer in a UL/ETL certified housing. Local LED shop may sell that and they are not cheap. If you want to bypass the "law", then look on eBay and search for "Meanwell 12v 350w" of something like that. Meanwell power supply are affordable and come with basic safety certificate. Don't buy no-name China power supplies.

ok I think I understand

so basically i would use 2 decoders for a RGBW,

Decoder 1

R = Red

G = Green

B = Bluee

V+ = Constant

Decoder 2

R = Hook my White up here
G = Unused
B = Unused

V+ = Unused

All this adds up to 1 RGBW light run (in that case if I was using decoders I would need to double buy, sounds like amplifiers would be the way to go)

RGB LED CONTROLLER

Parlaklık seviyesi  5 ayrı seviyelidir.Hız seviyesi 10 ayrı seviyelidir.(RGB renklerinin renk geçiş zamanını belirler).Demo modu sayesinde  default  renkler görünür.VDC Çalışma voltajı  +5-24V Dc.Çıkış akımı her bir renk için farklı farklı  4 amper max.Rf uzaktan sese duyarlı kumanda frekansı 433 MHz.Uzaktan kumanda etkili mesafe 15 metre. (açık alanlarda)RGB  (şerit led) ve diğer ürünler içinde uygulanan  eğlenceli kontrol ünite sistemi.Ayarlanmak istenen değerler en son olarak hafızada kayıt edilmektedir.Led bağlantı ucu soketi sayesinde lehim yapmaya  ihtiyaç duymaz.24-5+ dc girişli.4 amper max güç .Led grubuna giriş ve  çıkış.+ -DC güç kaynağı anahtarlamalı modelde olanlar tavsiyemizdir.5 metrelik 3528 şerit led için ortalama değer 2 amper veya 24w led trafosı civarında seçilmelidir.

Buenas tardes Jackstone, quería preguntarte cuanto cuesta la licencia del driver de control 4?, quiero instalarlo en mi demokit para probarlo.

Me podes indicar los modelos que me convienen?

Estoy por realizar un proyecto nuevo y quiero ponerlo en practica con 3 bandas de led.

Te agradezco si me podes contestar.

Un gran abrazo desde Argentina

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.