C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

For those of you that use the recommended PX24500 as DMX Decoder, the XLR5-to-RJ-45 cable that connect the RS-232 DMX Interface to the first PX24500 is now available on eBay or Houselogix:

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/xlr5-to-rj-45-dmx-cable-for-px24500-dmx-decoder

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/XLR5-to-RJ-45-5-pin-XLR-to-RJ45-DMX-Cable-for-PX24500-Decoder-7-/251834201061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3aa27cf3e5

All other PX24500 will be daisy chained using standard cat.5 cables.

With this pre-built cable, you can now get the whole DMX lightning solution trouble free, no more soldering and bad pinout issue.

And the PX24500 is still one of the best DMX decoder to use, best of all it is very cheap.

RGB LED CONTROLLER

Parlaklık seviyesi  5 ayrı seviyelidir.Hız seviyesi 10 ayrı seviyelidir.(RGB renklerinin renk geçiş zamanını belirler).Demo modu sayesinde  default  renkler görünür.VDC Çalışma voltajı  +5-24V Dc.Çıkış akımı her bir renk için farklı farklı  4 amper max.Rf uzaktan sese duyarlı kumanda frekansı 433 MHz.Uzaktan kumanda etkili mesafe 15 metre. (açık alanlarda)RGB  (şerit led) ve diğer ürünler içinde uygulanan  eğlenceli kontrol ünite sistemi.Ayarlanmak istenen değerler en son olarak hafızada kayıt edilmektedir.Led bağlantı ucu soketi sayesinde lehim yapmaya  ihtiyaç duymaz.24-5+ dc girişli.4 amper max güç .Led grubuna giriş ve  çıkış.+ -DC güç kaynağı anahtarlamalı modelde olanlar tavsiyemizdir.5 metrelik 3528 şerit led için ortalama değer 2 amper veya 24w led trafosı civarında seçilmelidir.http://www.silverled.net

Please explain the best way to work out what transformer will suit this kind of install.

I will run 4 x PX24500 decoders (which are stated as 12-24VDC 15A max)

3 decoders will each run a 6-7W pool light, the other decoder will run 1200mm or LED strip light

How do we determine the best size transformer?

I assume 1 transformer for all 4 decoders is viable?

Is it all based on the load from the lights, or does the decoder have to be factored in too?

Thanks

Transformer power requirement is roughly based on the wattage of the light at the output.

I usually use a minimum of two transformers for a whole-house LED lighting project for redundancy purpose  but in your case a single 100W transformer is plenty for your need.

You can use a single transformer for all your lights if they all work on the same voltage. Usually ceiling lights run on 24v and LED strip on 12V, so they cannot be powered by the same transformer.

Be sure that the rated wattage of your light are for all color, in your case a 6W RGB light would be 2w per color (not so powerful). but it could also be 6W per color so 18W total (way brighter, but you need to plan to use a little bigger transformer)

• 5 months later...

This thread had some great info on controlling RGB effects with Control4 . The application I'm working on is for a series of 3 high powered LED RGB flood lights that would light up a back yard. There are many relatively inexpensive models of these that come with their own remote control like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/100W-RGB-Flood-Light-Controller/dp/B00NZKBUEW

My question is can I use these with the Domaudeo RGB/RGBW LED Control Solution and if so, how?

This will work:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMX-compitable-high-quality-18W-LED-RGB-floodlight-RGB-wall-washer-24V-DC-constant-voltage-IP65/32260429865.html

Forget about the overpriced shipping, but you can see this model use 4-wire to connect, so you can control it using an external DMX decoder.

Of this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-lot-AC-12V-10W-RGB-DMX-LED-flood-light-lamp-outdoor-LED-floodlight-support/32381330325.html

Is the kind of floodlight with built-in DMX, you then run an XLR cable to daisy chain the lights, no need for external decoders.

Result is usually slightly better with lights that come with built-in DMX but it cost usually more.

The Enttec fades seem to have improved but yes they are not silky smooth.

If it's the only thing changing you may notice it. In a whole room scene changing it is less of a thing.

Either way if you are adding sms controlled lights you need a end control interface and driver. Either of the above Work.

They are not driven natively from control4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all, I've been using this DMX solution for control4 for probably a year now ,and it works great!  However, I recently ran into an issue that I was hoping someone could help with.  I'm running 17 of the cheap 3ch DMX decoders, daisy chained using Cat5e.  Tonight I added the 18th controller and the connected load flickers like crazy.  I've confirmed I'm getting a solid 24.4v into the decoder, but the output fluctuates wildly between 10v-24v.  I've tried different decoders as well as installed a 3-pin XLR terminator to no avail.  The other 17 decoders in the universe are functioning PERFECTLY.  Any ideas?

I will try connecting to a known working decoder.  I'm using a 1500w TDK/Lambda PSU that is lightly loaded, so power is not a problem (confirmed by having solid 24.4v going into the decoder).  The lighting is actually 24v warm white round fixtures from FredLighting.  I have ordered a DMX amplifier with an opto-isolater to see if that resolves anything.  Is it possible the DMX signal is getting mixed up due to the amount of decoders I have in my universe?  I'm not super well versed with troubleshooting these issues with DMX. 

I just switched the 17th and 18th decoder in my universe.  The 17th works great, the 18th was the one that caused flickering.  Now that the 17th is in the 18th position and vice versa, I'm still getting flickering.  Now knowing that, does it still make sense the DMX signal could be getting mixed up? 

To take it a step further, I disconnected the known working 17th decoder, and kept the "non-working" 18th controller in place, connected via DMX to the 16th decoder (so i effectively skipped the 17th physical decoder and am putting the 18th physical decoder in its place).  I get constant voltage out of first DMX channel which SEEMS to indicate the DMX signal is getting messed up by adding the 18th decoder.  Thoughts?  Hopefully that wasn't too confusing....

Largest project I had personally work on used "only" 12 decoders, with no terminal and zero problem so far. You don't have a "real" DMX fixture laying around to have it connected at the place of the 18th decoder? Simply to make sure this is related to DMX signal. Also, are you using real Cat.5 patch cords between decoders? Not home-made? Have you tried to go any further to this 18th position? Let's say to add 3-4 daisy chained decoders?

Correct, I am using pre-made cat5e cables, most are 2ft long, the longest is a single cat5e at 7ft.  I do not have a "real" dmx fixture lying around, unfortunately:(  I haven't tried going beyond the 18th decoder, I suppose I could try that.  Here's how my setup is laid out:

RaUpzzE.jpg

KcftJD2.jpg

This looks fine at first sight... But those hybrid decoder with XLR and Cat.5 caused me so much problem on a project, I would be no surprise the cause is the decoder that mix-up the DMX line over daisy chaining, to make sure of that, do the test I was talking about and add some more decoder to the chain, if they all go wrong, you got the cause.

To fix that, you can use a cheap DMX splitter and feed your decoder by two different DMX chains in the same universe.

Thanks, I will try adding additional decoders.  Can you describe where I would add the DMX splitter?  Are you saying take the single end of the splitter from the DMX "out" of the 17th decoder and plug the dual end of the splitter into the "in" 18th decoder? 

I tested the DMX amplifier/splitter tonight (I put it in between the 15th and 16th decoders) and I'm still getting flickering.  When you say to run the splitter outputs to "each section" of DMX decoders, what constitutes a section?  Right now I'm using Cat5 from the Engineering Solutions box to the DMX IN of the first decoder (not XLR).  Do you mean to split all of my decoders into two "groups", with one side of the splitter going to one group and the other side of the splitter going to the other group (but NOT connecting the groups together via cat5 daisy chain)?  Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.