C4 Forums | Control4

2014 Network AV Receivers... Any Favorites Yet?

A number of manufactures are coming out with their new 2014 AV receivers this year with a host of new features.  For example, the Onkyo 636, 737 and 838 models include Bluetooth and built-in WiFi, plus the latest HDMI standard 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 spec to support 4K Ultra HD content.  However Onkyo drops Audyssey for their own AccuEQ room calibration software.  On the Pioneer side of the house, many of their models from the VSX-44 and 80 to the VSX-824/1024 and 1124-K also have HDMI standard 2.0 and are Roku Ready Certified... that's different.  Denon looks to follow the crowd with the HDMI 2.0 compliance, WIFI and Bluetooth built-in, however, haven't heard about HDCP 2.2 specs yet on their products.  Atleast Denon maintained Audyssey MultEQ XT instead of ditching it like Onkyo/Integra did for their AccuEQ calibration.

Anyway, just wanted to see if any AV receiver for 2014 has peaked your iinterest for Control4 installs this year.

Scott

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Best"? This is a rather subjective question, not one you can go about touting one as better then another. Unless your talking about a Datasat, that IS the best.

However I also really like the Anthem MRX 710.

As for Atmos, great sounding in the theater but most folks will never get enough speakers to do this in their home. The majority of those with surround sound are still only doing 5.1 and the vast majority of people with AVR's have a 2.1 or 3.1 system with cheap speakers.

Yeah, 22.2 - how many people are going to retrofit speaker wire for all that? :)

I have 7.2 I think I pre-wired for 13.2... Maybe 11.2. Either way, that's a shit ton of speakers. Retrofit... Man. Might be easier to just tear down the drywall and start over.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Might!? No other way for 22 speakers is there!

And then at $100 each that's $2200!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

My guess is that if you are buying 22 of them you're spending more than $100 each.

Mine also but it was more about the fact it adds up fast.

Hell yes it does. I couldn't imagine making all those connections at the receiver.

Okay, we have Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and Anthem.  Any others for Control4 integration?

Concerning the Denon/Marantz, I heard that Marantz is now being built at the same China facility (on the same line) as the Denon receivers.  Also, if you ask any electronics repair company that work on receivers, Denon keeps them in business with all the repairs on their products.

Here is the review on it.  http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-5308ci  I love the Silicon Optix HQV Realta processor, but the current Denon models are built in China.  So, I wonder on the quality as compared to mine. Mine was built in Japan.   I tested out Anthem, when I bought mine in 2007.  I was one of the first with the Denon AVR-5308. 

The 4520 is still a current model and still built in Japan.

Sony works really well with C4, having ip driver - However we are using a 2013 Sony 1040, believe they have updated it to 1050.

Having had a couple of ES amps (At stupid Money) this amp is a great little worker

I got my 1800ES off Amazon Warehouse for $350. Pleased as punch with it.

Okay, we have Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and Anthem.  Any others for Control4 integration?

Concerning the Denon/Marantz, I heard that Marantz is now being built at the same China facility (on the same line) as the Denon receivers.  Also, if you ask any electronics repair company that work on receivers, Denon keeps them in business with all the repairs on their products.

Is anyone really surprised that things aren't built to last anymore? Don't you think that they want you to buy the new receiver because it has eleventy.2 surround sound and HDMI 2.0, instead of hang on to what you've got? 

Also, I did some looking around, and it seems that even brands that were known for US/Canada manufacturing have moved at least some of their manufacturing to China - Krell and Classe come to mind. Audio is one of those things that there are a million different opinions on.

Me, as a dealer, I'm interested in what support I can get from the manufacturer. If they don't answer the phone for tech support or handle service/defects in a timely manner then I vote with my dollars and go elsewhere.

Yeah, 22.2 - how many people are going to retrofit speaker wire for all that?  :)

Please link me to where it has been confirmed that you need tons of speakers for Home Atmos--I thought the point of the technology was that it would do a good job with positioning sounds no matter how many speakers you have.

Please link me to where it has been confirmed that you need tons of speakers for Home Atmos--I thought the point of the technology was that it would do a good job with positioning sounds no matter how many speakers you have.

I'm sure they could find a way to make it kind of work with 5.1. No one "has" to have 5.1 or 7.2 or 11.2. But the point of creating an enveloping "atmos"phere of music is using more speakers. See the pic of the theater here. They are talking about  up to 64 discrete speaker feeds in the theater.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/24/2971838/dolby-atmos-theater-audio-platform

But that's a link talking about commercial applications.  I'm thinking for this to succeed in the home they at least have to offer a mode that does something similar to what the various Surround simulation technology does with a smaller number of speakers.  I'm not saying its likely to do much with 5.1, but many can probably do 11.2..  I've been watching discussion about this on AVS (including a high end speaker rep) and unless something new has been mentioned in the last couple months I missed nothing for the setup for home has been confirmed.

Almost every article I've read has talked about 9.1 - 11.1 as the starting point for Atmos and the initial AVR's that will be hitting the market in the fall. As time goes they anticipate it to quickly grow from 11.1...

That will be the last model that will be made in Japan.  I think the x4100 is the replacement model, but it was posted on avsforums. 

As I posted the 4520 is STILL a current model, and still built in Japan. the x4100 is the replacement for the x4000. There is an x5200 to fill the $2k pricepoint and the 4520 will continue on. 

But that's a link talking about commercial applications.  I'm thinking for this to succeed in the home they at least have to offer a mode that does something similar to what the various Surround simulation technology does with a smaller number of speakers.  I'm not saying its likely to do much with 5.1, but many can probably do 11.2..  I've been watching discussion about this on AVS (including a high end speaker rep) and unless something new has been mentioned in the last couple months I missed nothing for the setup for home has been confirmed.

Atmos compatibility has already been announced in the european product line for Denon and Yamaha. From the specs and discussions I've read these AVR's will downmix atmos mixes for 5.x & 7.x.  Atmos will be supported in 9.x and 11.x. 

Archived