C4 Forums | Control4

C4 remote temp sensor integration

Hello everyone,

I am looking to integrate a fully submersible temperature sensor into my pond so I can regulate feeding times/quantities for my fish during the changing seasons.  I plan on using a standard C4 T-stat to distribute temp readouts to my various UI's but am having a very difficult time finding a remote temp sensor that can be fully submerged and talk to a C4 t-stat.  Can someone please advise?  I have readily available a Jandy pool water temp sensor but I do not know if it will work with a direct connection to a C4 stat.  

Thanks!

Josh 

I don't think that's how the remote temp sensor in the C4 thermostat works.  Pretty sure it's just designed to allow you to use a remote sensor to provide the current temp for that particular thermostat.  for instance put the thermostat hidden in a closet, then run the remote sensor into the bedroom so you get an accurate reading of the bedroom temp.

You can, but it'd be better to get a Card Access contact sensor with their recommended external thermistor (which is submersible: http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/products/index.php?a=details&i=50)

Also gives you the option of going battery powered if that's preferable due to location etc, and avoids having to deal with powering the the thermostat with a messy 24VAC powersupply (the CA pice handles a wide range of voltage and ac/dc so a standard 12vdc supplies work.

Probably ends up cheaper too.

You can, but it'd be better to get a Card Access contact sensor with their recommended external thermistor (which is submersible: http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/products/index.php?a=details&i=50)

Also gives you the option of going battery powered if that's preferable due to location etc, and avoids having to deal with powering the the thermostat with a messy 24VAC powersupply (the CA pice handles a wide range of voltage and ac/dc so a standard 12vdc supplies work.

Probably ends up cheaper too.

So would that just be turning that thermostat into a temperature display?  would that essentially make the thermostat's main functionality useless?  or in composer can you just tell it to display the remote temp but do the HVAC controls off of the thermostats reading?  

So would that just be turning that thermostat into a temperature display?  would that essentially make the thermostat's main functionality useless?  or in composer can you just tell it to display the remote temp but do the HVAC controls off of the thermostats reading?  

cinegration has a driver to have a temp display off off anything that u cn get a reading from....as Cy pointed out, this will work with card access ....is only a display, u wouldnt use a tstat, but u can program off the temps

• 1 year later...

Alternative is to tape one with duct reflector tape and some isolation tape over-top to the hot water pipe going to the tub. It would be one-two degrees off but you can calibrate that. Even a smudge off is plenty accurate enough for alerts etc.

Alternative is to tape one with duct reflector tape and some isolation tape over-top to the hot water pipe going to the tub. It would be one-two degrees off but you can calibrate that. Even a smudge off is plenty accurate enough for alerts etc.

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Have you done this before?

I taped the external thermistor to my heater pipe on my hot tub with hvac foil tape and the temperature was about .5oC - 1oC off at most.

Thanks again Cyknight for the useful information.

• 1 year later...

Not sure what protocol is for dredging up old posts but was hoping to slightly high-jack and ask advice on bringing some spa (outdoor hot-tub) control into the 21st Century. With Control4.

At the moment its a simple heater and pump motor all in one type system, with an air switch doing four functions (pump no heat, pump and heat, off, auto) and a potentiometer for a temperature control.

I'm happy/confident wiring relays or what ever may be required into the exsiting board - would something like the CA relays with an external thermistor work as a make-shift hot tub Control4 integration solution? Was wondering if anyone else has done this?

Thanks

Archived