C4 Forums | Control4

Tesla Model S integration?

dc15

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its the Push the Envelope forum. Monitoring battery levels from a TS, switch an LED on a keypad to green when the battery is full, etc etc came to mind

Got it, this shouldn't be that hard to do:

-          Controller sends get statement to car

-          Car responds

-          Response is process as a C4 command or scene

• 6 months later...

Anyone learn anything else about this?

I just bought a Model S and I would love to have the following in Control4: (all of this is available from the Tesla phone app)

Set a C4 variable to display battery and charge status. Indications would be low battery, charging and charged.

Ability to stop or start charging from C4.

Ability to turn on climate control from C4.

(Could also do other stuff like unlock, open sunroof, honk horn, etc)

It looks like the Tesla API is increasingly hard to access as many people, including new owners like me, are not able to access the servers.

But assuming that you could access the Tesla API, how would you do the following:

Send a C4 Boolean, integer or string so that it could be read and acted upon in a language like Java or Python.

Read a Boolean, integer or string into a C4 variable.

Are there not some generic IP drivers that have been written?

buy me a tesla and i'll figure out how to make it work :)

Fly yourself out to Zaphod and do whatever he/she wants.. write his/her driver then drive the car!!!

Anyone who buys one of these machines is a customer worth knowing/having 

Just do it (for free).....Get on the next plane. Now. No questions asked. :)

I doubt I am the only one with a Model S and C4. There are HA discussions on the Tesla forum site. But when I describe C4 to people most of them don't like the sound of it as it is too closed for them. Especially compared to all of the new stuff coming to market right now.

I doubt I am the only one with a Model S and C4. There are HA discussions on the Tesla forum site. But when I describe C4 to people most of them don't like the sound of it as it is too closed for them. Especially compared to all of the new stuff coming to market right now.

I find it hard to believe that Tesla owners aren't more into Crestron than C4, and I doubt most of them are DIYers.

I too own a Tesla model S. Had it about a year now. Fantastic car! I've owned a Lexus, a BMW and an Infiniti and none of them compare to the service I get from the Tesla people.

I also think it would neat to integrate the car into my C4 system but it's not nearly as important as getting BETTER connectivity from other things first - the Neat Thermostat and their Protect smoke alarms, better connectivity to Pentair pool equipment...

I indeed am a DIYer. Crestron is WAY too expensive for my budget. The Tesla is indeed an expensive car but it's not THAT expensive. Crestron people are the ones driving Bentley and Rolls.

I also think it would neat to integrate the car into my C4 system but it's not nearly as important as getting BETTER connectivity from other things first - the Neat Thermostat and their Protect smoke alarms, better connectivity to Pentair pool equipment...

You live in LA where you don't need to pre heat your car.  It would be nice to be able to turn the car climate control on by pushing a button in my bedroom rather than have to get my phone to do it.  FYI - it was -20C in Toronto this morning.

I think a lot of Tesla owners are geeks that like playing around with Technology.  The unoffical Tesla API was developed by Tesla owners and there is a Java application called Visible Tesla that you can run on Win/Mac/Linux that duplicates (and then some) the functionality of the apps.  Other folks developed an Unoffical Windows Phone app for the car since there is no official one.

I think it is quite the opposite of what turls said - I think many Tesla owners are very much DIYers and may shy away from C4 since it isn't DIY enough.  There are threads on the Tesla forums with folks playing around with the lower end HA stuff.

Hey guys,

If someone has a connection at Tesla and wants to give us a car to test against we will develop this for you!!!!

I would think this would be best route for you Tesla owners although asking for a complete vehicle probably won't fly you guys may want to hit up TMS in town there.

Control4 should just develop this driver themselves for the Public Relations.

It's a no brainer...

Can you imagine the add?

Someone programming their car from a Control4 TS (with the C4 logo all over it) then stepping out into a Telsa??

Geeeezz..

Any association with a high tech outfit like Telsa motors would be a multi million dollar advertising win..

This says everything about what a HA high tech company should be all about..

It's got nothing to do with whether or not ordinary folks can afford to own a Telsa, or whether they would be DIY or not..

Who cares if there is only a handful of combined C4/Telsa owners? That's not the point.

It's all about perception and dreaming about the potential of tech.... it's about aspirational consumers

Control4 themselves should be all over this..

Cheers. 

Control4 only develops drivers for 3rd parties that publish an actual API, without resorting to reverse-engineering / hacks.

Unless I'm missing something up-thread, it sounds like Tesla has not released an API.

Also, typically, manufacturers have to provide hardware for Control4 to develop/test against.  That's not nearly as likely to happen in this case.

Not that I'm saying Control4 *would* or *should* develop the driver themselves if the API were freely available.  I don't necessarily make that decision.

RyanE

Maybe i can see with some Ford ingeneer if its possible with a electric Focus. I no we have only 160 kilo with a battery and she is not sexy as hell but... can be fun ! You can buy two electric focus for the price of a basic tesla !

But it can't do 0-60 in 3.2!

Control4 only develops drivers for 3rd parties that publish an actual API, without resorting to reverse-engineering / hacks.

Unless I'm missing something up-thread, it sounds like Tesla has not released an API.

That's very true and most recently they are making it harder for third party apps to access the Tesla servers. But Tesla has said that they plan to allow third party apps on the car - hopefully that means they will allow other devices like HA systems, smartphone apps and desktop OS apps to access the Tesla servers. Some of the hacks, like Visible Tesla, have very useful stuff - like sending you a notification if your car exceeds X miles per hour, or leaves a geofence. http://www.visibletesla.com/Documentation/site_index.html

I think in a couple of year ( or maybe less ) it will be possible to integrate it with c4 or Another home automation compagnie. We already have a app on iphone or androids ( ford ) to start your car remotly , see the status of your batterie charge and stuff like that. They just need like ryans said to open the api for third party control and developpers will create some application. We already work with leviton on our battery charger and as i know they do (leviton ) work with c4

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Archived