C4 Forums | Control4

Tesla Model S integration?

dc15

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't they just have smart cars like this that run on gas... At under a buck a litre.. could the electirc car industry suddenly be in trouble? Just a thought..

Is there anything like this Telsa app stuff that can be retro'd into a Mini?

:)

Or have you just put the egg before the chicken.

Is it the smart Cars ans solar reducing the demand for gas that is reducing the price of gas?

Why don't they just have smart cars like this that run on gas... At under a buck a litre.. could the electirc car industry suddenly be in trouble? Just a thought.. 

The biggest problem is its still a car. People who want to purchased a tesla are GEEK ( sorry its the best adjective i found ) and they want to have big touchscreen and ipad on the dash and a ton of application ( like us with control4 ) and we are maybe 1% of the market . I sell somes cars with Bluetooth with vocal command and the majority of my Customer don't understand it. They all have the newest cellphone and the smart tv thing but they do not no how to use it. They say its too much complicated to use so they don't use it. ( Vocal command exemple : CALL HOME ) ?? is this very hard ?

Is it the smart Cars ans solar reducing the demand for gas that is reducing the price of gas?

I think that with smart cars and solar still being a tiny portion of the energy production and use at this point, it's unlikely that it's having much effect on the price of gas.

Supply and demand, my friend: http://www.vox.com/2014/12/16/7401705/oil-prices-falling

RyanE

I think that with smart cars and solar still being a tiny portion of the energy production and use at this point, it's unlikely that it's having much effect on the price of gas.

Supply and demand, my friend: http://www.vox.com/2014/12/16/7401705/oil-prices-falling

RyanE

All good supply side points.

Demand side.

Led and other lower energy lighting in New cconstruction and retro (due to incentives making 18m payback often)

Cafe standards reducing the national fleet gas consumption.

Move from oil based to gas based heating and efficiency improvements in furnaces as that happens

Improved energy efficiency in building. New and retro.

Even aviation has been focussed on fuel load and fuel burn.

All reduce the demand side just as supply is increasing.

Have you seen the mini-e

All reduce the demand side just as supply is increasing.

I'm not saying there aren't demand side reductions, but a price swing this rapidly is more likely due to supply-side economics.

Demand-side changes are much slower, over a longer term, although in the long run, are likely pretty important.

RyanE

A lot of the "cool" things that you can do with a Tesla are not really related to it being an electric car but due to the advanced nature of the electronics in the vehicle and the fact that it is always connected as long as you are within range of a 3G or Wifi signal.  But being electric allows you to do things that aren't as easy to do with an ICE vehicle, like running the vehicle in an indoor setting so that it can warm up.  And you may want to use HA functionality to monitoring charging of the vehicle.

A lot of the "cool" things that you can do with a Tesla are not really related to it being an electric car but due to the advanced nature of the electronics in the vehicle and the fact that it is always connected as long as you are within range of a 3G or Wifi signal. But being electric allows you to do things that aren't as easy to do with an ICE vehicle, like running the vehicle in an indoor setting so that it can warm up. And you may want to use HA functionality to monitoring charging of the vehicle.

Its cool to have internet in your car but is this really really safe ? Not sure ! One more distraction. But i'm with you for the indoor setting

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Its cool to have internet in your car but is this really really safe ? Not sure ! One more distraction. But i'm with you for the indoor setting

Having the internet isn't the possible distraction, its the interface into the internet use that needs to be designed correctly to prevent distracted driving.  Obviously there is a huge case to be made having internet done correctly is safe and not having it at all is much less safe.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

The Internet is primarily useful for Slacker and Tunein for music/ radio while driving - my car has XM but I rarely use it. Tesla pays for your bandwidth usage - at least for now. The other advantage of Internet is that your car is connected so you can control it remotely with an app or whatever. And this is useful for Tesla as they can keep an eye on the diagnostics of the vehicle.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And from that article:

Tesla was chosen as least hackable because the all-electric vehicle's head units are based on Linux.

I am still hoping to get this done (at least be able to start my car's climate from a C4 6 button) when I get some time to play around with the Tesla API.  Tesla had made some changes to their servers back in the first half of 2015 that caused problems but people have figured out how to deal with that now.

• 1 month later...

I am getting close to doing this as I now have been able to write some Java code (or curl from a CLI) to control the Tesla via the (unofficial) Tesla API so now I just need to get the Control4 side of it done. Any ideas of how to cause a Control 4 button push to trigger an event in the outside world? I am thinking something like Generic TCP driver to send an HTTP POST.

I would configure a six button to toggle the Climate on for my car. This is useful to do before your start driving your can in the winter as it preconditions your battery - EV batteries don't charge well when they are very cold.

Anyone have other ideas for sending a button press to the non C4 world?

• 10 months later...

I have finally done this, at least a proof of concept, using the Chowmain Generic TCP driver. I have tied a Control4 button to send a http post command (http://myserver/cgi-bin/startcharge.py) which runs some python code on a RPi that then starts the car charging.  It would be nice to have a driver that could present to C4 all of the functionality available in the (unofficial) Tesla API.

The main functional use for me will be to turn on the climate control in the car when I get up in the morning during the winter which is about 30 minutes before I leave.  This will warm up the car and also warm up the battery which means that you are less susceptible to regen limts.  I could also use C4 LEDs to indicate the charging status of the car, plugged in status, etc.  This could help to remind me when I forget to plug in the car.  This would require some polling on a regular basis to get the status of these items.

15 minutes ago, StroTek LLC said:

you should be able to accomplish this very easily using Alan's IFTT driver

This is not the case.  Tesla has only exposed a few options via their IFTTT Channel.

Triggers

• Arriving Home
  • On the way home
  • Leaving home

Actions

• Display message on Tesla Dashboard

I believe that the Tesla channel is actually called EVE for Tesla which is a third party app.  It actually doesn't appear to directly interact with the Tesla API.  EVE actually runs in a browser window on the Tesla so sending messages to the car really just sends message that appear on a browser screen, not directly in the car's UI.

The other three triggers appear to be basic geofencing apps that you can do with any car.

Considering recent...issues with some of their software, I doubt Tesla is likely to open up more than what's there now. Really don't think they need people starting their car with outside systems and killing themselves....

But this is not doing that it's replicating phone app functionality onto a keypad button in controk4

To provide a bit more background info on this - there is an unofficial API for Tesla cars.  This has been put together (as far as I know) by a bunch of users by monitoring the traffic from the official Tesla apps for iOS and Android.  These have been relatively unchanged since the Model S was introduced with the exception that the authentication changed in early 2015 to use OAuth tokens.

This API lets you monitor certain status items of the car and also issue commands.  Tesla has been pretty careful to not allow any access to anything that could affect the safety of a driving vehicle.  An example of this is that you cannot open the trunk using the API - there is a command documented but it is inoperable.  Things that you can get from the API include getting the current location, speed, the climate settings, status of climate, charge state, plugged in status, etc.  Actions that you can perform include start/stop climate, start/stop charging, unlock, start car, flash lights, honk horn, open pano roof, etc.

IMHO the biggest security risk of this API is that a hacker could know where you car is, could unlock the car and start the car.

FYI - the documentation of the API is here:  http://docs.timdorr.apiary.io/#

My use case is that it would be nice to turn on the climate when I wake up in the morning about 30 minutes before I leave during the winter.  This warms up the car and also warms up the battery allowing the regen capabilities of the car to work better than if the batteries were cold.

Archived