C4 Forums | Control4

Planet POE Switches

I'm looking at ditching my POE injectors for an 18 or 24 port POE switch and I've read on the board discussions about Netgear POE switches, but not much in the way of Planet POE switches w/the exception of their POE injectors.  I like the various Netgear switches, but they can be a bit loud and our AV rack is in a closet near our family room.  So, I'm trying to keep the noise down a bit if possible.

Does anyone have any experience with the Planet POE switches with their network and Control4 system?  For example, the FGSW-1828PS, FNSW-2400PS and the FGSW-2612PVM.

Thanks!

Scott

That's one I'm really thinking about, but may like to have 24 ports instead of the 18 ports.  I could probably fill up most of the POE ports and won't have much room to grow if I get the FGSW-1828PS.  However, I may end up going that route.

FGSW-1828PS

Just installed this to run 4 touchpanels and 2 cameras POE. No issues. 

What Planet POE midspan would you recommend?  Again, I want to do away with injectors and keep everything simple/clean.  I don't need a 6-pack (or more) of POE injectors with all their wiring and power cords in the rack. :)

Mid-spans are the preferred option IMHO - Planet has the POE-2400G and HPOE-2400G (24 port gigabit mid-spans, the second being high power if you need the rating). Unfortunately I think Planet is phasing these out...they're good pieces.

Use and change your switch as desired, get a 48 port switch non-poe as your central hub and get 24 ports poe out of it without the negative impact of daisy chaining switches...and it remains a nice clean install.

Lost me there with the 48 port non-poe and you get 24 ports poe out of it comment. Are you saying yo get the poe-2400G abd a 48 port non poe as the central hub? Or judt one 48 port switch that.splits up the ports half POE and the other half non-POE?

I have an AV closet in my game room and couldn't stand the noise generated by the POE switch. I ended up getting POE injectors - I have 9. I also used 2 24 port network switches (that don't have a fan) instead of a 48 port switch which always have a fan.

Thanks everyone for the information... and thanks qVAMPIREp for the follow up.  That's exactly what I'm looking for, a nice and "quiet" 24 port POE switch that can be split 12 ports POE / 12 ports ethernet that will work with all the C4 gear and any future gear I have.  I like the idea of a midspan to handle the POE power issue and a stand alone switch (fanless) to handle the data... but if there's a little larger device than the Planet FGSW-1828PS, that would be great.  I feel if I get this, I could easily use it all up.

Also, since we're on the topic of power and mid-spans, I've been reading a lot on the Ubiquiti WAP and their LR wifi products and it seems they need to use their own POE injectors or a Ubiquiti switch.  So if I go with these for additional wifi range in and around the house, that would be another switch or more POE injectors in the rack.

Scott

Well...Ubiquity and others use a different voltage, so yes it would require an added piece. There are midspans available for these as well however.

Midspans tend to be quit if not soundless (many don't have or require fans) to a not uncommon setup would be:

24/28 port switch (non poe)

12 port midspan (normal poe)

4 port midspan (lower voltage)

This can be a soundless setup providing you have a fanless non-poe switch

+1 on midspans.

Typically use 2 of the 4 port Planet midspans. One for touchpanels and one for the APs.

Been there done that - a whole network got screwed up because a POE 16 port decided to have a poe issue 2 years later.

Yes there's three power cords, but no fans, more redundancy, easier troubleshooting.

• 1 month later...

So, correct me if I'm wrong, with the midspans like the POE-2400G, you still need a switch between the midspan and the router.  As an example, if you have 16 items plugged into the 2400 for POE (touch panels, cameras, etc.), you will need to have at a minimum a 16 port Ethernet switch to connect between the midspan and router.

Just talking out loud... trying to understand this.  Thanks!

Scott

• 2 months later...

Can anyone recommend a "Quiet" 24 port POE switch for csmpez? Adding injectors will just add noise for him which he stated he wanted to avoid if possible.

I just got the 24 port Planet midspan POE. Fan noise = totally unacceptable.

Avoid this product (POE-PT2400G)

It's going back... that is if our piss weak consumer laws allow this.. :)

Well...Ubiquity and others use a different voltage, so yes it would require an added piece. There are midspans available for these as well however.

Midspans tend to be quit if not soundless (many don't have or require fans) to a not uncommon setup would be:

24/28 port switch (non poe)

12 port midspan (normal poe)

4 port midspan (lower voltage)

This can be a soundless setup providing you have a fanless non-poe switch

Ubiquity uses 48v on higher spec products.

Blackwire Designs sells a silent fan option for these POE switches with warranty support - yes they are super noisy without this option. I believe it's $25 per fan - my high powered 28040P4 has 3 fans so $75 upgrade fee.

Archived