C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat Temperature/Settings reset

Hi All,

Summary: Set temperature for my CCZ-T1-W is being changed automatically (?) to values other than what I explicitly set.

Long Description:

I bought a new townhome about a year and a half ago, and it came installed with some basic Control4 automation (door lock, Samsung IP camera, HC 250 directory, thermostat, touch screen control in master bedroom, lights control for ~4 rooms, etc).  To be honest I haven't used some of the features, but it's a nifty concept.

The past week or so I've been experiencing issues with the thermostat, a CCZ-T1-W.  As the summer gets warm, I will set the AC on and target temp of 76 or so.  Four times out of five, it would automatically reset back to a target of 82 degrees after some delay in minutes (once in a while, it doesn't).  It would do the same thing if I explicitly turned on the circulation fan.  Now today the same is happening, except the target is being moved down to 72 out of my control.

I've tried removing the thermostat battery, pause, re-assemble.  Reset (middle button 15 times).  Reset the director unit (pull plug, count 30, plug back in).   A few months ago the upstairs unit would show internal temperature as 120 degrees - by googling I found to reset the thermostat, which seemed to fix that issue.  The [thermostat] LCD screen backlight would also come on occasionally without prompting.

I haven't done any custom programming or anything, when the technician came out to complete the installation, the only methods of access/control given to me were the HC250 through TV, the touch screen upstairs, and the C4 app for remote access.  I'd like to learn more details and customization about the system, but since it's a dealer installed set I do not know if I am allowed.

I'm picking up a new battery for the thermostat tomorrow, on the off chance that is causing me issues.  Beyond that I've heard suggestions of picking up a cheap thermostat unit to replace the CCZ-T1-W, so I can at least control the temp during this summer heat, and trying to dig out documention on who actually installed the system in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Josh

you either have a schedule programed in, or make sure that after you make a change that you hold that change permanently. If you would like I could take a look only takes a few seconds!

lippavisual might be onto something about the power stealing as well.

Thanks for the quick responses, appreciate it.

I've tried making changes and applying each of the applicable hold values - (2 hours, off, permanent), and my choices are still reverted after some (random?) duration. I try not to test this too frequently, since I'm told the AC unit turning on/off repeatedly shortens its service life.

I do not know about power stealing; I will take off the unit and describe the status of the switches, etc.

Perhaps I do not understand the hold behavior, I've never had a thermostat more complex than 'make it hot/cold'. What confuses me is that I have yet to find any interface that allows me to do any sort of scheduling, so I'm unsure how my inputs would be overridden. I don't think my wife has, either.

Thanks for your patience.

Replaced the battery with a new 123A 3V, no change.

I then disconnected the touch panel control, unplugged the HC 250 unit, and reset the thermostat.    It may be a fluke, but for the remainder of the day it functioned properly.

Switches on the back of the unit:

Power Stealing : Disable

Secondary Stage Fan : Fuel

Primary Stage Fan: Fuel

Mode: Conventional

(I imagine those last three elements are HVAC unit specific)

PM replied.

• 10 months later...

One of the users here generously offered to help with remote diagnostics - I feel bad, I was busy on being a new dad, and never followed up.  Some other users here may be able to you help in that capacity.

I ended up removing the touch panel and control box from my network.  I now have to manually adjust the thermostat, not the best solution.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've been having a similar issue for almost a year and its driving me batty. In my case I bought composer HE because I hated the UI for programing (this and pretty much any thermostat) and wanted something easy to tweak. So i programmed my own series of changes over the default program (and turned off all the default programming).

I can watch my program execute on the thermostat (it changes the heat/cool points and holds correctly), but then randomly a few seconds later it even though would it say "hold" at say 75 degrees for cooling, would just randomly  jump to 90 degrees (the default which was everything off), it happens in all 3 zones in my house. The problem seems to be witih the thermostat itself as my program does what I want it to everytime, and is reset after it runs (randomly although I don't think I've ever seen it happen 2x in a row) my program removes the hold (unless its 2hr, perm or vacation), waits, then sets the heat and cool points then puts the hold until next back on, (and I can watch this happen on the thermostat)

My work around has been to just enable the default programming, but the UI is clunky (still although its better with 2.7 at least)  and its limited to 6 times per day (I had 8 on some days of the week), additionally I also bought this with the intent of having the program turn off if the outside temperature was in a certain range. And apparently it doesn't work either (I'm told I have to buy a temp. sensor, but the unit has the temperature on it (assuming pulling from my zip code which is fine))

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. why does the default program (randomly) override the holds and set temperature from a composer program?

2. how can I set the 'zip code temp' as a trigger for turning the system on and off?

1. why does the default program (randomly) override the holds and set temperature from a composer program? It should not be doing this there is a hardware or software issue here at play

2. how can I set the 'zip code temp' as a trigger for turning the system on and off?  you would need a driver or hardware to monitor the temperature and set the temps on the t-stat accordingly.  the new therm have this built in with a outdoor probe

1. why does the default program (randomly) override the holds and set temperature from a composer program? It should not be doing this there is a hardware or software issue here at play

99% sure its software (possibly firmware) since I have 3 zones with the exact same issue.

2. how can I set the 'zip code temp' as a trigger for turning the system on and off?  you would need a driver or hardware to monitor the temperature and set the temps on the t-stat accordingly.  the new therm have this built in with a outdoor probe

My thermostats are a little less than a year old I don't have any outdoor probe with them, i guess that's not sufficiently new enough? How do I access such a driver? I find it a bit silly that I can set my thermostat based on what channel my tv is on or the volume but not other information like the temperature in my current zip code which is just as omnipresent in the system since its displayed when I tap on the C4 home screen.

I suspect in my case that the vacation temperatures get lost after a brief power outage but the normal scheduled temperatures don't. That would hint that vacation temperatures are stored on the thermostats themselves and normal schedules on the controller as my controller is on UPS with generator backup so never has an unplanned shutdown. Thermostats go on and off with the power...

Not sure if that makes sense or helps anyone!?!

As I have a water based system and have found that dropping temperatures for vacation mode makes little or no difference to power consumption, in future I will be turning the system off totally for holidays and turning it back on a day or so before I return...

Archived