C4 Forums | Control4

Smart Nest thermostat easily turned into spying device

turls

What's funny is people on this forum have been warning about these types of security issues for years. Yet the rank and file often chime back that it won't happen, thieves would rather just smash your window, etc. We are in a new era and thieves prefer tech, the threat is real and it's here

Thank you for finding and posting this

Most theft is happenstance, and yes that means someone just smashes your window to gain entry into your house. This hasn't and won't likely change.

Beyond that, the article mainly seems to say you should not allow people to just go into your house, and take care in where you buy your items. Again this is nothing new and just common sense really. Unfortunately common sense seems to be getting rare these days.

'Everyone' wants 'smart' and everyone wants it to be DIY, open source software unlocked and free, and 'everyone' tries to source it as cheap as they can without considering where it all came from. That (and particularly the last part) is where the real security risk is at. But of course the counter will be that I'm a dealer and of course I would say that, no?

Note that 'everyone' means the main masses in general, not every single person in the world nor is it directed at people here.

These warnings are by and large, unfortunately, useless (except for those that want to use the info maliciously - that's the double edged sword here). Nothing will change (industry and consumer wide) until it's proven to actually be implemented on a large scale. Then organisations like Black Hat will pound their chests and say 'see we warned you'. There will be some outrage, some companies will pay out fines, some will go under, a few people go to jail. And then we start this all over again.

Cynical of me? Perhaps.

Archived