C4 Forums | Control4

C4 component power requirements

CEO

Hello.  I'm working on sizing an appropriate UPS for a rack in a tight footprint, however, C4's datasheets seem to be missing information like AMPS/VOLTS/WATTAGE for some of their devices.  If anyone has this info for the following parts, I would apprecaite it.

C4-16ZAMSv3-B
C4-AMP108

Why are amps on a ups?

Power is out but the music plays on? Are you building the titanic?

You can get a peak requirement by 110v x channels x Watts per channel.

A generator would be more appropriate for amps in a power out situation though.

With AMPS and VOLTS I can determine WATTS. WATTS is what I'm looking for in order to size an appropriate UPS.

I thought that would be self explanatory.

Yes P=IV, I get that.

Not sure why it isn't noted, and 110v x channels x watts won't give you anything.

audio matrix is nothing - 8W

Amp is 1000W max.

You wanted the Volts, well that is 110.

The C4-16AMP3-B is 120W per channel and 8 channels so ( I want the Jeopardy music here ), that is 960 total W of power plus a few for the matrix, say a KW peak, however an amp is never driving all 8 channels at peak (apart from in the seconds before it dies) (and now my brain has wandered off to Hotblack Desiato of H2G2 fame).

(back to the Jeopardy music)

1000 = I x 110

Still does not answer why this is something to put on a UPS though.  Dunno about others here but the HC800/250/whatever, NAS/PC/whatever, Cable Modem and Router and maybe the DVR would be the things to go on a UPS.  Anything else goes through a power conditioning / surge protecting distribution block (like the WattBox) and to a whole home generator, it can survive a power interuption and be back on line in a under 60 seconds.

? 30/40W stable if all channels driven. He's asking for the new 108. The Matrix Amplifier you're referring too is rated at 1200W
Even so you can't just mulitply speaker channel wattage output times channels to get total device wattage!! And what are you useing? the 8Ohm rating - or do you prefer the 4Ohm one - that would boost the matrix amplifier to 8x 220W = 1760W according to you calculation method - bordering in and by itself what average NA breaker can withstand. (120V x 15A = 1800W). Plug a single bulb desklamp in on the same circuit and blow the breaker!

That reminds me: assuming 110V, apart from everything else isn't even accurate!

Speaker channel wattage ratings have no true relation to device wattage use - none!

Take for example the Pioneer SC-65 9 channels at 130W - yet the stated power consumption is 330W? HAH! :blink:

Even at the true ratings of 1000/1200W depending on the amp C4's units are hefty pieces.

Plus you mis-typed (I assume) your intended calculation.  ;)  Volts time (total) Wattage = ... nothing really, VxW= Vx(VxA) = AV2?

:D  Jeopardy:

110v x channels x wattage (per channel).

What is not a way to find the total wattage requirements of an amplifier?

Sorry my friend, I mean no disrespect - but what you're saying has zero sense in the real world I'm afraid. :unsure:

Much easier to just take a look at the back of the unit though - it states Wattage right on there. :ph34r:

All that said I'd agree having these units on a UPS seems rather unneeded unless there are known frequent power-drop. In which case I'd look at fixing that if possible vs 'patching' with a UPS.

? 30/40W stable if all channels driven. He's asking for the new 108. The Matrix Amplifier you're referring too is rated at 1200W

Even so you can't just mulitply speaker channel wattage output times channels to get total device wattage!! And what are you useing? the 8Ohm rating - or do you prefer the 4Ohm one - that would boost the matrix amplifier to 8x 220W = 1760W according to you calculation method - bordering in and by itself what average NA breaker can withstand. (120V x 15A = 1800W). Plug a single bulb desklamp in on the same circuit and blow the breaker!

That reminds me: assuming 110V, apart from everything else isn't even accurate!

Speaker channel wattage ratings have no true relation to device wattage use - none!

Take for example the Pioneer SC-65 9 channels at 130W - yet the stated power consumption is 330W? HAH! :blink:

Even at the true ratings of 1000/1200W depending on the amp C4's units are hefty pieces.

Plus you mis-typed (I assume) your intended calculation. ;) Volts time (total) Wattage = ... nothing really, VxW= Vx(VxA) = AV2?

:D Jeopardy:

110v x channels x wattage (per channel).

What is not a way to find the total wattage requirements of an amplifier?

Sorry my friend, I mean no disrespect - but what you're saying has zero sense in the real world I'm afraid. :unsure:

Much easier to just take a look at the back of the unit though - it states Wattage right on there. :ph34r:

All that said I'd agree having these units on a UPS seems rather unneeded unless there are known frequent power-drop. In which case I'd look at fixing that if possible vs 'patching' with a UPS.

Thanks for the lesson. Seriously.

Equations - yes tired.

Power required of an amp. Now I know.

He did ask for both amp options though.

There's other reasons to put it on a UPS besides just battery backup.  Presumably, if you take this to the Nth degree, the amp can still be protected by the UPS but there is some logic in the programming to not actually use the amps during a power outage.

I've got all my centralized amps on UPS and I like not having them get hit as hard by power flickers/brownouts which is typically more of a problem for me than actual outages.

Archived