C4 Forums | Control4

My Home - iPad

I bought a home with C4 installed the guy said he had his iPad working as a remote and all I had to do was download the app to get it to do the same for my iPad.  I tried and it would not connect, I was told that I needed 4Sight so I now have that as well but now when I try to connect I get Log in error 403.21 and am told that I need a license.  Has someone run into this and or am I just doing something stupid?

BTW - Im not so happy at how cryptic dealers are when it comes to C4 this system seems so unfriendly and dealers seem so shady at least everyone that I have talked to here in TX... Anyone working for C4 that reads this, I am stuck with you but I can tell you that the way that things are "dealer" only makes wanting to remove and start over a very viable option every time I want to change a TV or add some small item to my system like a way to get to content i.e. an audio gateway.  Not impressed, can some one on here help me understand how I can get something simple like a new TV added with out it costing me as much as I paid for the freaking TV to add it to my system? Oh and this iPad thing not working....

Thanks to anyone who can help.  

There's great dealers on here who can remote in and add devices for a reasonable cost.

The license for iPad May have been for a single device and the old owner still has his registered to the account. With the new set up you can go online to your account and delete devices. Can't recall with the old set up but think same applies.

Get a good dealer. Doesn't have to be local. Experience will change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a controller with the license attached, then you are good. If your controller had a licensed additionally purchased, then that license is is tied to the previous owners my.control4.com account. In a nutshell, check your controller and see if it ends in a BL-1. If it does, you will be ok, if not, you would need to buy an additional controller with the license attached, or not have a license at all. You cannot buy just a license anymore. Make sure that the controller is registered to you as the new owner regardless.

Don't get too frustrated and ask a lot of questions here...you'll get help.

Thank you for the info.  I did get registered as the new owner and I do see one device on the system even though I have 4 HC-300 units in the house.  I did look at the one I can see the bottom of and it says its an HC-300 E-B.

Would I have to contact the old owner for this "license" as think that is going to be not really an option.  Can you maybe shed some light on what the difference in licenses are?  Are you talking about a separate license other than 4Sight?  Maybe that is where I am getting hung up, if there are two different licenses and I am only getting info on one.

Yes they are two different licenses. I am sorry that the seller did not understand. That license was tied to his "my.control4.com" account. It cannot be reassigned. You would have to have his log in information to make it work.

To make matters worse, Control4 has moved to a model where the license is attached to the controller, but that means you must buy a new controller. you can not buy one that attaches to a "my.control4.com" account anymore. You must buy a new controller.

Hope this helps you understand, although I am sure it is not what you wanted to hear

I was in the same situation .. All he did was call C4 and reg everything in my name the only thing that needed to stay was the project name .. So what ever the old project name was plus the new mycontrol4.com act PW ...you should be good to go Example

Down load the myhome app ... Use the project name then email address and pW that is asst with myc4.acct Then press connect

C4 Guru - So if I buy a new controller can I have it just hook up to the current project that I have here already to be able to get this new license that you are speaking of?  Or do I have to replace all 4 controller's and pay for the whole thing to be redone?  The two dealers that have come to look at the system have said that I need to nuke the whole thing and start over and of course costing in the $6500 range for a new HC-800 and a HC-250... My system has over 70 light switches, a number of other audio components and a bunch of other items like TV, Xboxes, Blu-ray players and the like....

The part that is weird about this whole thing is I can access the system from the website on my tablet but I don't have all of the controls that I would if I were using the app it looks like...

The new controller would be put overtop of the old ones as the main controller. No 'redoing the whole thing" - just a project back-up and reload in it's basic form.

HOWEVER - I do not know the current state of your system, if wiring etc is a big mess. Understand that once a dealer does the work, he'll also take on some of the responsibility for it working as intended. We have at times stated the same thing to a client - where the existing system is such a mess, wiring and programming/removed and new devices wise, that we won't touch it unless we re-do it. Because we also warranty our work. For us it would have to be a big mess indeed to go that far, but again, I cannot know your system's current state of affair.

Does sound like if the system is working as is an 800 may not be needed and an HC-250 alone would do the job. I wouldn't state the requirement to rip all old controllers out - though I'd have you sign off on the fact that these are out of warranty units, and any failure while 'updating' your system is not our responsibility.

I do know some dealers have seen lots of failures on 300 powersupplies over time (not sure why/how - I've seen very few myself, indeed only one or two out of...can't even count) - so I realise some may be hesitant to take over other's setups and keeping them in.

As for the ability to do it from the website, but not from tablets etc, that's not surprising. You were given a 4Sight license, which enables remote access (via a website for instance). This also allows the apps to access remotely IF you have the app license..

To use the apps on a system to begin with (locally or over the internet) a different license is required - one that Control4 decided not have available as seperate sellable unit once they started including it with every controller.

I was in the same situation .. All he did was call C4 and reg everything in my name the only thing that needed to stay was the project name .. So what ever the old project name was plus the new mycontrol4.com act PW ...you should be good to go Example

Down load the myhome app ... Use the project name then email address and pW that is asst with myc4.acct Then press connect

Not quite that simple.

However in some scenarios a dealer can indeed work with control4 tech/rep to make this happen - but that generally requires that that dealer is the original dealer of install (or to be exact the current dealer of choice on the old account) - or sometimes if the delaer of choice went out of business (the account would be stating as much on C4's side) - AND that the system you now own is indeed still registered as the system under that account.

Essentially from your description the old account was re-assigned your own email/password.

This can be done, though it seems not all dealers are aware of this, provided it is clear the previous owner no longer uses the old account or used it for some time. Understand that doing this on an unknown system as a dealer carries some risk - if you request this in error and a complaint is filed by the original owner.......

Seems to me the buyer either directly or through the RE attorney needs to go to the seller with the message you sold me this home and HA system and I dont get full functionality without the my.control4.com account.

Please change the the email address on the account to email address and the password to ABC123 and let me know when this occurs.

The seller has no use for this account now. Unless they have multiple homes on the account but that I imagine is the exception, not the norm.

You can't have multiple homes on one account. But he may have a new C4 system registered to the old account.

If the New system has the licence on the controller then Deregistering and creating a new account is irritating but hardly an insurmountable problem and certainly not a $6500 of New hardware and dealer time problem.

Archived