C4 Forums | Control4

Help with 2 issues please...

1) I have a C4 light switch in my dinning room.  This morning when I came downstairs the dinning room light was on (happened on its own) and he C4 switch was unresponsive both using the actual switch as well as the C4 system.  The top LED on the switch was blinking red.  I could not get the light off.  I cut power to the switch by flipping the circuit breaker.  When I turned it back on everything was back to normal.  Any idea what would cause this?

2) 2 times now my new Yamaha receiver which is connected to the C4 system via ethernet cable has lost its connection.  When this happens I can't at all control the receiver.  To get it to work again I have to unplug the receiver and then re-plug it in.  I can't seem to figure out what this is happening?

Thanks for any input.

Jason 

Yes he means software version - from a touchscreen, you can go to more - settings - about. You're looking for the director version. On a phone app go to more and your system, it should say it in there as well.

I'd agree that the light seems to be an overload/overwattage somewhere. Is it a dimmer on a non-dimmable load (Fluorescent, Fans)? If so, that can also create a protection status (which is what that red light is).

• 5 months later...

We have been installing Yamaha receivers for over 3 years and NEVER had a problem with any of them. They are rock solid.

They always respond well to network requests. Check your network setup and Control4 software, the issue might be there.

Also, see if there is a firmware update for your model.

By the way, sometimes we have problems with Airport Extreme routers.

Totally agree.  I don't think it is the Yamaha especially since I got a new one and I'm getting the same problem.

1) What should I look for specifically in the network set up?

2) What kinds of things would I look for in my C4 software?

Thanks for all the help.

First ask your dealer (if you are not one), to update ALL your devices firmware and softwares. If the problem keeps happening, just get another router. Stick with something a little more heavy duty, such as:

Ubiquiti ERLite-3 ($99), Engenius ($?), Mikrotik ($110).

I used to have the Airport Extreme, but I replaced with Ubiquiti ERLite-3 + Ubiquiti UAP-AC. Its very solid and super fast.

I just remembered that I went to one of our client's house on Tuesday and he had the SAME problem. He has the Airport and around 5 yamaha receivers. When we got there the Door station and 2 yamaha were not responding. Had to reset eveything in order to make things work again.

We may go back there next week to replace this satanic router.

jsimon,

Please replace the Apple router.  This product has proven time and time again that it has no business running an automation system, especially when thenetwork is the backbone of the system.  Replace with any of the products mentioned above and you will never look back.

Archived