C4 Forums | Control4

Nest protect integration

samsong

On 2016-08-27 at 0:59 PM, pkkaiser said:

Chowmain's new IFTTT maker will do the realtime monitoring you need for Nest Protect using the NEST channel of IFTTT, it would immediately fire a pushover notification that you can program off of in C4... 

Why? The timing would be the same for the IFTTT or Control4 - you're just adding an additional step.

I get a push notification from nest and c4 every time I cook bacon and it gets a little smokey. They come about the same time. Hardwired protects. 

I think your issue is programming off a color change and not binding the protect to a generic smoke detector then program "when generic smoke detects smoke"

On 30 August 2016 at 2:45 AM, Cyknight said:

Why? The timing would be the same for the IFTTT or Control4 - you're just adding an additional step.

What he's trying to say is that our IFTTT driver uses pushover as middleware to hand off instant incoming commands to Control4.  As such any device or service available on IFTTT can now communicate to Control4 for instant event firing.

7 minutes ago, alanchow said:

What he's trying to say is that our IFTTT driver uses pushover as middleware to hand off instant incoming commands to Control4.  As such any device or service available on IFTTT can now communicate to Control4 for instant event firing.

Sure - but I'm unclear what particular trigger you'd get via NEST to IFTTT to Control4 that you wouldn't get via NEST to Control4?

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Sure - but I'm unclear what particular trigger you'd get via NEST to IFTTT to Control4 that you wouldn't get via NEST to Control4?

I didn't know there was a nest protect driver.  thought there was only a thermostat one.  learn something new every day.

• 1 year later...
On 04/09/2016 at 5:29 PM, knowitall said:

I get a push notification from nest and c4 every time I cook bacon and it gets a little smokey. They come about the same time. Hardwired protects. 

I think your issue is programming off a color change and not binding the protect to a generic smoke detector then program "when generic smoke detects smoke"

Sorry to dig up this thread but can you confirm exactly how you are programming against the Nest protect?  Are you programming against the UI colour state of the Protect or the  Smoke_Alarm State.  I have bound the Protect to a generic smoke detector but can't see a way of programming from the Nest to tell the generic smoke detector it has detected smoke.

3 hours ago, angusm said:

Sorry to dig up this thread but can you confirm exactly how you are programming against the Nest protect?  Are you programming against the UI colour state of the Protect or the  Smoke_Alarm State.  I have bound the Protect to a generic smoke detector but can't see a way of programming from the Nest to tell the generic smoke detector it has detected smoke.

I'm doing exactly what I said...in connections you have to bind the  Nest protect smoke alarm contact sensor to a generic smoke detector and program off the generic smoke detector "when smoke detects smoke"

The protect reports the contact closure thru the API that's all back end, nothing you have to program

15 hours ago, knowitall said:

I'm doing exactly what I said...in connections you have to bind the  Nest protect smoke alarm contact sensor to a generic smoke detector and program off the generic smoke detector "when smoke detects smoke"

The protect reports the contact closure thru the API that's all back end, nothing you have to program

Great, much more straight forward than I realised. Time to go and burn some toast!

On 10/09/2017 at 7:29 AM, angusm said:

Great, much more straight forward than I realised. Time to go and burn some toast!

All tested ok over the weekend, so thanks for that.  Amazingly my wife did actually burn the toast this morning and we all got the notification! 

Apologies an extra question.  How does C4 deal with multiple Protects within the home?  As far as I can see there is no way to identify different units within C4, is that correct?  I would like to program different Protects to turn different lights on if they detect smoke but don't think this is possible.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:16 PM, knowitall said:

What OS and drivers are you using? When you pull them in it should show all the proctect which you can then bind to generic smokes and program. I've never been satisfied programming off the protect itself. Glitchy for some reason for me. 

OS is 2.10, driver is the 2.7+ version 6.  Master Driver doesn't show  the different protects, the protect driver just shows Online True. Programming off the generic smoke works great but can't seem to specify different Protects.

It's been a while since I set it up, but IIRC once you add the master driver and login/authorize the account it pulls in all the devices automatically on said account. May need Cpro to do so. My guess is it's not setup properly or maybe you added devices after initial install?

cannot answer the geofence question. My best will go "away" then my dog wakes up for some water or food or to bark at the door for no reason and makes my system think someone is always home. Or she's smart and gets hot and knows how to turn the air on

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Are the protects able to run a lighting even or flash porch lights of smoke is detected? It looks like it will only send notifications and maybe control the color of the ring. Is that correct?
You can get notified on event and have it trigger anything

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Is there an experience button or device driver that could be used to have the status of a Nest Protect visible in the C4 UI?

i see a previous note about a generic smoke detector but confused because the best protect has sensor outputs for both fire and co which I presume were supposed to be connected somewhere but aren’t 

Is there an experience button or device driver that could be used to have the status of a Nest Protect visible in the C4 UI?
i see a previous note about a generic smoke detector but confused because the best protect has sensor outputs for both fire and co which I presume were supposed to be connected somewhere but aren’t 

Thats right. There are 2 bindings to be made per nest protect, one to a generic smoke detector driver and another to a CO2 generic driver.

Not in search, In the devices tab you will find all generic devices, you add them to your room and bind them to your Nest Protect, am assuming you have ComposerPro ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.